Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Wood&tronics 5 string fretless

mcgraham

Well, after a great deal of silence from Italy and the guys at the workshop, I dropped them an email to see if I could get some sneak previews of my bass, whatever state it might have been in!

On Friday 11 Dec, I got an email back saying "If you could wait a little more, I will take pics shortly of the completed bass, whcih we will be able to send you in approximately 10/12 days..." :rolleyes:

Even though things have been pretty quiet on their end, Enrico has been giving me the occasional email update, and it sounds like he's more than a little impressed with how it has turned out :) Needless to say I can't wait to see the final result and play this beast! Finally, a reason to work on fretless for a good long while!

Mark

I know I know I KNOW!! I haven't seen the bass either y'kno :)

If it's going to be shipping to me soon I'm happy to wait until then. Then (once I've had a little time to get used to it so I don't suitably embarrass myself when attempting to play it), you're more than welcome to check it out! The wife and I are planning on doing a road trip up to and then down from the North of Scotland so we could stop off in Edinburgh on the way :rolleyes:

Mark

[quote name='mcgraham' post='687408' date='Dec 17 2009, 03:32 PM']I know I know I KNOW!! I haven't seen the bass either y'kno :)

If it's going to be shipping to me soon I'm happy to wait until then. Then (once I've had a little time to get used to it so I don't suitably embarrass myself when attempting to play it), you're more than welcome to check it out! The wife and I are planning on doing a road trip up to and then down from the North of Scotland so we could stop off in Edinburgh on the way :rolleyes:

Mark[/quote]

That would be awesome mate!
We'll need to sort something out when you're passing through.

Cheers,
Eude

Sounds good Mark.
I like this stage of the process :) the antci.....pation just before the delivery :rolleyes:

My Ergon's due just after Christmas too.
The bridge was delivered with fingerprints in the plating :lol: Rather poor QC from the bridge people, I must say.

That will give me a few weeks familiarisation before our first gig next year.

Your world tour doesn't include Cardiff then?
:lol:

Cardiff isn't on the tour this time around! We do have friends in Cardiff (other than your good self!) so we could try and squeeze in a trip sometime in 2010.

MT, I've actually not been playing bass regularly for a few weeks now - mainly been playing guitar. I did a rendition of 'Wonderful Slippery Thing' (check it out if you've not heard it) for a music event recently, and so spent (and have been spending) most practice time working on guitar chops. Been quite inspired on electric guitar as of late! It's nice to get a break anyway, and I find improvement on one instrument yields gains in the other.

I'd been doing an almost bass only streak for several months, and I was starting to stagnate. This 'break' is helping me to break out of a rut, try some new approaches to the instrument(s). I've also finally been getting some really great picking tone on guitar. Not that it was bad before, but now it's really starting to come together.

Flippin' stunning. I honestly cannot believe how amazingly well this has come out... I can't put it into words... so I'll let these pics do it instead.
[attachment=38718:Zoid_33_...ess__11_.jpg]
[attachment=38715:Zoid_33_...less__4_.jpg]
[attachment=38716:Zoid_33_...less__6_.jpg]
[attachment=38717:Zoid_33_...less__9_.jpg]

Edited by mcgraham

Wow!
That truly is a thing of beauty, so understated yet so astonishingly unique.
I bet you're stoked!
If it sounds half as good as it looks it'll be one of the nicest sounding fretlesses out there I bet.
Congrats matey!

Eude

Thanks Eude! You're right about it being so understated. It is clearly an eye-catching bass, but for none of the more usual reasons (e.g. crazy paint job, mad laminates/woodwork, monkey grip, etc).

Enrico has sent me pics of the back too. Bear in mind this is a chambered bass with a deeper body thickness, so carving the heel correctly for the 3 octave fingerboard presented a real challenge, but they've done an amazing job. Looks phenomenal.

I will be spending a LOT more time playing bass in the months to come.

Edited by mcgraham

WOW!!! That is stunning. I don't know where there is space to put any chambers. I'd love to hear some sound samples of that. Bet the bridge pickup sounds really woody and warm. Oh, I'm green with envy. I'd love a go on it. Bit too far away though, Ah well, c'est la vie.

[quote]Wow. That looks awesome Mark next time im back in Notts i am going to have to come and try it out.
Also cant wait to see the two W antd Ts together. That will be awesome.[/quote]
Definitely! You're more than welcome to! I can't wait to have two basses as awesome as each other. Rounds out the herd so to speak.

Mark

Enrico has informed me they are going to try a slightly higher gauge of string on this bass (105s rather than 100s), tweak the pickup height together with the the internals of the preamp so as to optimise the setup.

I'm also going to get them to make sure the bridge is at just the right height for my playing style, as the more acoustic type bridge will likely be much harder to adjust the height of than a standard metal adjustable bridge.