Why become a member? ×

SOLD - MIA Fender Jazz Fretless 1999 Sunburst/Rosewood

EssentialTension

This is a [b]1999 US built fretless Fender Jazz in Sunburst with Rosewood lined fingerboard[/b], side dots on the lines at 3, 5, 7, 9, 12, 15, 17, 19, but no dots on the fingerboard itself.

At present it's sporting an aftermarket brown tort pickguard from WD Music but I'll include the original white pickguard if the buyer wants it. You can see in the pics that the tort guard is not as perfect a fit as the white guard but no problem with the replacement and certainly no extra screw holes.

It's currently strung with D'addario Chrome flats which I guess are about a year old - they've been on the bass since before I got it in a trade with Martthebass late September last year.

It's in pretty good condition with just a few minor cosmetic scratches on the front (only visible up close) and a 2mm ding on the lower horn. Pretty close to no buckle rash. It certainly looks not bad for a ten year old bass and the fingerboard looks good.

It [b]comes with a near mint C&G Fender vintage style case in black tolex with the plush funky orange fur lining[/b].

The bass has now been superseded by my Fender Tony Franklin Precision Fretless that I bought from Water of Tyne and so is surplus to my needs.

I'm looking for a [b]cash sale at £450 including postage [/b].

It's unlikely I'd be interested in a trade but feel free to offer one as long as you are not offended by rejection.

Having said that, any trades that might vaguely attract me are likely to involve one or more Aguilar or Epifani 1x12 cabinets or a Mesa Boogie Walkabout Scout 12" 4 ohm combo - so probably not much hope of that anyway.

With the white pickguard as photographed by Martthebass - check out the perfect fit at the meeting of the guard and the bell plate:

With the tort pickguard and without a polish - the small scratches can be seen near the upper horn and the pickguard:

With the tort pickguard and without a polish - check out the slightly less than perfect fit at the meeting of the guard and the bell plate:

I can do some more pics after a polish if anyone requires them - as long as I can find the camera!!

Edited by EssentialTension

God i would love this, but it would mean getting rid of an existing bass as im skint, big bump for a gorgeous bass, from a top fella, deal with confidence - lee

Edited by lee650

[quote name='lee650' post='539843' date='Jul 13 2009, 10:47 PM']God i would love this, but it would mean getting rid of an existing bass as im skint, big bump for a gorgeous bass, from a top fella, deal with confidence - lee[/quote]
Thanks Lee.

You could probably tempt me with the fiesta red P if I really needed another P which I don't - I do keep fancying a Pino Palladino custom shop job.....

....and bump

This is one very nice sounding Fretless - if I had the cash I would happily have it back, you've certainly definitely priced it to sell!

One day, when I've got bored with 5 strings I'll no doubt have another.

As Dave says, the bass looks in excellent nick, I'm sure the minor scratches would come out easily with a bit of T-Cut - I just never got around to it.

[quote name='Ray' post='540291' date='Jul 14 2009, 01:25 PM']I owned this bass at one time. It really is fantastic. Good luck with the sale.[/quote]

[quote name='martthebass' post='540293' date='Jul 14 2009, 01:27 PM']This is one very nice sounding Fretless - if I had the cash I would happily have it back, you've certainly definitely priced it to sell!

One day, when I've got bored with 5 strings I'll no doubt have another.

As Dave says, the bass looks in excellent nick, I'm sure the minor scratches would come out easily with a bit of T-Cut - I just never got around to it.[/quote]

Thanks guys.

It is a great bass and I'm sure it would sing with a set of rounds for those who are into that sort of thing. Me, I'm more a P bass kind of guy and hence this going and being replaced by a fretless P.

And those scratches are very small and not noticeable without looking for them.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='540234' date='Jul 14 2009, 12:31 PM']Thanks Lee.

You could probably tempt me with the fiesta red P if I really needed another P which I don't - I do keep fancying a Pino Palladino custom shop job.....

....and bump[/quote]

HA HA
that would be a nice little solution i may be able to stump up a cash adjustment, i do like my little budget "pino" though just needs a little hardware upgrade ( nowt wrong with it, im just fussy :) ) as you say your sorted, no disposable cash for a while unfortunately.
Would look great in my stable, cheers mate , BUMP!!!! - lee

[quote name='Beedster' post='540952' date='Jul 15 2009, 08:39 AM']Man that's an awesome price :)[/quote]
Chris, do you think I should do a price increase?

The price is, I think, slightly below the figure at which it was valued in the trade I did with Martthebass and I'm including postage - although I'd prefer a bank transfer rather than Paypal.

[b]This is a bargain.

C'mon guys, grab it now!!!![/b]

Edited by EssentialTension

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='540964' date='Jul 15 2009, 08:52 AM']Chris, do you think I should do a price increase?[/quote]

Mmmmm, problem is a lot of guys have now seen it at the price above so lifting it might not work. Having said that, I've no doubt you could get £575 for it, if not more, especially if it's a good'un. I guess if anyone out there needs a decent fretless Jazz, this is a serious bargain.

I have to admit that when I saw you were looking for a fretless Precision the trade bells started ringing, but I really don't need another fretless Jazz and I think I'm going to hang onto the Preicison after all as every time I play it it sounds so sweet, just doesn't do it live like the Jazz does :)

Good luck mate

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='540990' date='Jul 15 2009, 09:20 AM']I've no doubt you could get £575 for it, if not more, especially if it's a good'un. I guess if anyone out there needs a decent fretless Jazz, this is a serious bargain.[/quote]
I did see one go for close to £600 on ebay recently but I'll settle for getting back from BC most of what I paid for it on BC.

But if no one hurries up and buys it soon it will be on ebay next week.

[quote name='bythesea' post='541269' date='Jul 15 2009, 01:26 PM']I do like the look of that - will have to check my bank balance (though perhaps not checking would be a better bet!) And you're in Brighton...[/quote]
Well, check that balance man .... and you can even try out the bass first.

Hi ET,
Can you post pictures of back of body, headstock (back and front), and neck fixing plate? Do you know if it has had any mods since new?
Many thanks, Nick S

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='541890' date='Jul 16 2009, 07:25 AM']At this price I thought this would be on the move more quickly. I'll give it to the weekend then it's going on ebay. ... and bump.[/quote]

[quote name='NAS' post='542082' date='Jul 16 2009, 11:26 AM']Hi ET,
Can you post pictures of back of body, headstock (back and front), and neck fixing plate? Do you know if it has had any mods since new?
Many thanks, Nick S[/quote]
I'll try to get some more pics up later when I'm home from work - must find the camera.

I'm not aware of any mods - I'm at least the third BC owner so maybe others can report on that.

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='542130' date='Jul 16 2009, 12:16 PM']I'll try to get some more pics up later when I'm home from work - must find the camera.

I'm not aware of any mods - I'm at least the third BC owner so maybe others can report on that.[/quote]

No mods while I had it - and none that I could detect from the previous owner(s).

[quote name='martthebass' post='542179' date='Jul 16 2009, 12:56 PM']No mods while I had it - and none that I could detect from the previous owner(s).[/quote]
Same here.

I owned the bass before Martthebass, BTW.

[quote name='martthebass' post='542179' date='Jul 16 2009, 12:56 PM']No mods while I had it - and none that I could detect from the previous owner(s).[/quote]

[quote name='Ray' post='542292' date='Jul 16 2009, 02:57 PM']Same here.

I owned the bass before Martthebass, BTW.[/quote]
Thanks guys.

I think we can be fairly confident there are no mods except my replacement pickguard and that did not require any modifications to the bass itself - there are no extra screw holes.

More pics later.

ET, many thanks for the extra pics and the info - very nice. Consulting the exchequer! Nick S

[quote name='EssentialTension' post='542502' date='Jul 16 2009, 06:57 PM']OK, I just realised that there is one modification - Schaller strap-locks.[/quote]