Why become a member? ×

New amp for me - Very specific

cheddatom

I need a new amp. I can't afford it right now to be honest, but am looking to get it in the next 12 months. However, i've never seen an amp that has the specifications I want, let alone played one I loved enough.

At the moment, I have a Peavey 1 x 15 combo, which I think puts out 220W at 2 or 4 ohms, not sure! This amp has nice "punch" and "bright" pre-amp curves which I like, and a decent E.Q. The feature I need is the crossover outputs, of which I use the Hi output to drive my Johnson 120w 2 x 12" guitar combo. This bi-amp set up sounds great, specially when I have my TE extension cab plugged in.

It's not loud enough though, or at least there's not enough headroom. There's a little yellow danger light that comes on when the amp is too loud, and it's on most of the time when i'm at a gig without the TE cab.

I would like another 1 x 15" combo, as I can't really fit the TE cab in the car for gigs (it's 1 x 18, 1 x 10, horn).

So, a 1 x 15 combo, with crossover and extension cab outs and some E.Q. It doesn't sound that complicated now! Any suggestions?

[quote name='cheddatom' post='56886' date='Sep 7 2007, 11:36 AM']I need a new amp. I can't afford it right now to be honest, but am looking to get it in the next 12 months. However, i've never seen an amp that has the specifications I want, let alone played one I loved enough.

At the moment, I have a Peavey 1 x 15 combo, which I think puts out 220W at 2 or 4 ohms, not sure! This amp has nice "punch" and "bright" pre-amp curves which I like, and a decent E.Q. The feature I need is the crossover outputs, of which I use the Hi output to drive my Johnson 120w 2 x 12" guitar combo. This bi-amp set up sounds great, specially when I have my TE extension cab plugged in.

It's not loud enough though, or at least there's not enough headroom. There's a little yellow danger light that comes on when the amp is too loud, and it's on most of the time when i'm at a gig without the TE cab.

I would like another 1 x 15" combo, as I can't really fit the TE cab in the car for gigs (it's 1 x 18, 1 x 10, horn).

So, a 1 x 15 combo, with crossover and extension cab outs and some E.Q. It doesn't sound that complicated now! Any suggestions?[/quote]

Have you looked at the GK stufF? Im not sure about the combo's but i know the heads have a bi amp facility.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='56933' date='Sep 7 2007, 01:00 PM']GK bi amp facility has power to both and only works with GK cabs than can power the woofers and tweeters seperately.[/quote]

I dont know much about the GK bi amp set ups (never needed it) but it is possible to wire a lead to run two cabs AFAIK.
you can also re wire a normal driver/tweeter cab to run bi amped.
Of course i wait to be proven wrong.

Ashdowns ABM combo's have a sub bass out but its really just a line level thing, not the same at all. Just though i might mention it.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='56932' date='Sep 7 2007, 12:59 PM']Get a bigger Peavey. The Combo 115 is 200 watts internal - 300 watts with extension. Noy many integrated amps or combo's have built in crossovers. Old Git is selling a BAM but I dont know if it has x-over.[/quote]

I think that's the amp I already have though, and I need more headroom. I have looked at the GK stuff, and I don't think the bi-amp is the right kind for me to use a guitar amp. I can have a bi-amp input to my TE cab, but, like I say, can't really fit it in the car, and it's 1 x 10 wouldn't really satisfy me.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='56886' date='Sep 7 2007, 11:36 AM']It's not loud enough though, or at least there's not enough headroom. There's a little yellow danger light that comes on when the amp is too loud, and it's on most of the time when i'm at a gig without the TE cab.[/quote]

If you ignore the light, does it sound good and is it loud enough? Most Peavey amps have really good limiters built in (DDT) which means you can drive them constantly into the realm where other amps would be clipping, sounding bad and possibly blowing speakers without suffering any ill effects or even sounding bad!

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='56968' date='Sep 7 2007, 01:56 PM']If you ignore the light, does it sound good and is it loud enough? Most Peavey amps have really good limiters built in (DDT) which means you can drive them constantly into the realm where other amps would be clipping, sounding bad and possibly blowing speakers without suffering any ill effects or even sounding bad!

Alex[/quote]

Well, it sounds allright, yeh, but if I get to a gig where I have to turn it up so that the light is almost always on, then it gets farty, and I have to rest it for a day (I know, seems weird) until it'll work properly. It is one of those DDT limiters, but, it doesn't seem to protect the speakers well enough.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='56971' date='Sep 7 2007, 02:04 PM']Well, it sounds allright, yeh, but if I get to a gig where I have to turn it up so that the light is almost always on, then it gets farty, and I have to rest it for a day (I know, seems weird) until it'll work properly. It is one of those DDT limiters, but, it doesn't seem to protect the speakers well enough.[/quote]

Ah, that sounds like you're over-excursing the speakers which causes the farting sound and also pulls the spider and surround out of shape, which fortunately are proving elastic enough to recover after a rest. I used to find this happened to our hi-fi speakers at Uni (old EMI ones) when we had parties.

I don't think you're going to find a combo that ticks all the boxes. In fact I think it's unlikely that you'll find a combo that is usefully louder than that Peavey. You could however get a Peavey Firebass head and use that to power a Peavey 115BW 4 ohm cab. That should be significantly louder than your current combo though it won't be light!

What frequency is your crossover set at? Are you running the bass amp full range or low passed?

Alex

I think that if you use the hi out, then the amp (and ext cab) is automatically low passed. I have it at around 800-1K. I generally play with the crossover a little within this frequency range each time I set up.

Does the Firebass head have the crossover function?

I'm not too bothered about weight, I already have that problem. I just don't want to go any bigger than what I have already.

Does anyone think my crossover/bi-amp is pointless and that I could get a similar responce from a decent all bass rig?

If you want more output in the lows then your options are to go bigger or to get more power. For a useful difference do a bit of both, with a 15" in a larger cab and a more powerful amp.

Alternatively could your combo drive another 15" in an extension cab? That'll get you a much extra output as the other approach I suggested. If you can't move your TE can you sell it and invest the funds in something useful?

Your biamped rig with a guitar amp covering the high mids and highs will sound pretty different to a normal bass rig. A normal bass rig would be simpler and many may prefer it but it won't get that sound. Have you found any conventional rigs that you liked as much as this biamped guitar/bass one?

Alex

I've never played a rig that has satisfied me, apart from my own. I can't sell the TE cab, it's way too cool and adds the deep lowness that I really want. I use it in the studio, or at big gigs where the other two band members don't mind driving.

Maybe I should get a very loud head and a 1 x 15" like you suggested. That way it should be a straight swap for what i'm using, but louder. Hopefully!

Does anyone else have this style of bi-amp rig?

Can I just check I've got this right?

Your rig consists of:

1. Peavey 1x15 bass combo
2. Johnson 2 x 12 guitar combo
3. Trace Elliott 1x18 + 1x10 cab

Bloody hell.

You could get a power amp and run the lows out of the low crossover output on your Peavey combo to your Trace Elliott cab. That could sound interesting.

Peavey TNT150BW?

150w on its own, gain & volume controls, 9-band graphic, low & high controls, punch & brite switches, built-in footswitchable chorus (depth & rate controls), amp out, speaker out, variable crossover, Black Widow 15" speaker. Rock solid. F*!king heavy.

What do you mean you already have one? :huh:

If you have a MarkBass CMD102P or an Eden Nemesis NC210 or RS210 for a straight swap, I could be interested . . . :)

FWIW, I have bi-amped my two-combo rig (see pic for connectivity), but I found I was able to get better tone if I went into the TE and out of the TE into the TNT, so that's what I do now.

Mark

Edited by Phaedrus

[quote name='Phaedrus' post='57062' date='Sep 7 2007, 04:15 PM']Peavey TNT150BW?

150w on its own, gain & volume controls, 9-band graphic, low & high controls, punch & brite switches, built-in footswitchable chorus (depth & rate controls), amp out, speaker out, variable crossover, Black Widow 15" speaker. Rock solid. F*!king heavy.

What do you mean you already have one? :)[/quote]
Ok, I have the same thingy, but without the chorus. It's not powerful enough!

The Funk - Yes, that is my rig, plus 20 pedals. What did you mean by "You could get a power amp and run the lows out of the low crossover output on your Peavey combo to your Trace Elliott cab."? Either i'm a bit thick or that doesn't make much sense :-/

Well, if the crossover on your Peavey combo has a Lo output, you could run that into your Trace Elliott cab.

The thing is you'd need to amplify that signal with a power amp in between the Lo output and the Trace Elliott cab.

A power amp is a dedicated unit which is basically the second half of a normal amp. You don't really need to know how it work, just that you'd need one between the Lo crossover output and the TE cab.

If you did it that way, your Peavey amp wouldn't clip as the TE cab wouldn't be powered by it but by a seperate power amp.

Edited by The Funk

[quote name='The Funk' post='57075' date='Sep 7 2007, 04:36 PM']Well, if the crossover on your Peavey combo has a Lo output, you could run that into your Trace Elliott cab.

The thing is you'd need to amplify that signal with a power amp in between the Lo output and the Trace Elliott cab.

A power amp is a dedicated unit which is basically the second half of a normal amp. You don't really need to know how it work, just that you'd need one between the Lo crossover output and the TE cab.

If you did it that way, your Peavey amp wouldn't clip as the TE cab wouldn't be powered by it but by a seperate power amp.[/quote]

I see, that makes total sense now. I did think about that before, as obviously i'm not using the TE cab to it's full potential.

bass_ferret - I'm sorry dude, I really don't know what you're on about. I don't know what number is on my amp. I know that it's a combo that is newer than the one in Phaedrus's picture, has a bit more colour on it, is 150W on it's own, 200 or 220 with the ext cab, and it has a BW 15" speaker.

It's not a "Combo 300". You're the first one to mention this model. What is it?

I have some DIY skills, but have never even thought of making my own cab. I'm guessing it's far beyond putting up some wonky shelves.

Peavey have always done a range of combo's. It usually had a TKO model at the bottom, TNT in the middle and Combo at the top - with various power ratings attached. Currently all models are called 115 but the last interation was 75, 150 and 300. See [url="http://www.peavey.com/products/browse.cfm/action/list/cat/14/begin/1/TourSeries.cfm"]here[/url]

The current series of amp heads (except Pro 2000) dont have x-overs but the old T-max and Firebass did. There is a t-max 2x10 on fleabay for £200 and there have been a couple of other T-max heads recently.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='57097' date='Sep 7 2007, 05:04 PM']I have some DIY skills, but have never even thought of making my own cab. I'm guessing it's far beyond putting up some wonky shelves.[/quote]

Now that I've learnt about cab design and also found that there are excellent designs available online at very low costs with comprehensive instructions and helpful forums, I can't see myself buying another cab ever again - the current cabs I own are as good as it gets IMO and I can only do better by DIY. And it is SO much cheaper.

You could build a simple ported 1x15" cab with a Kappalite 3015LF for less than £150 all in. Make it out of 1/2" ply and it'll weigh less than 50lbs. Build another when funds allow and the pair together will put out more bottom than your TE monster could ever hope to - seriously!

Alex

[quote name='cheddatom' post='56886' date='Sep 7 2007, 11:36 AM']At the moment, I have a Peavey 1 x 15 combo, which I think puts out 220W at 2 or 4 ohms, not sure! This amp has nice "punch" and "bright" pre-amp curves which I like, and a decent E.Q. The feature I need is the crossover outputs, of which I use the Hi output to drive my Johnson 120w 2 x 12" guitar combo. This bi-amp set up sounds great, specially when I have my TE extension cab plugged in.[/quote]

If I'm reading this right, you're not truly bi-amping, you're just taking the high frequency output into the guitar amp. The Peavey combo is still running full range. If you take a patch lead from the low frequency output into the power amp input, then the Peaveys power amp will only be handling lows.

My setup used to be similar to this, just a bit more complicated:

Bass - Peavey Firebass - HF out - Korg AX300 (stereo outs) - Behringer EP1500 - pair of 2x10 cabs
[color="#FFFFFF"]Bass - Peavey Firebass[/color] - LF out - Firebass Power amp in - 1x15 cab

Loads of big fat clean bottom end, with all the FX in stereo on the highs. Totally unnecessary and way OTT, but lots of fun nonetheless :)

Andy

[quote name='Alien' post='57239' date='Sep 7 2007, 11:20 PM']If I'm reading this right, you're not truly bi-amping, you're just taking the high frequency output into the guitar amp. The Peavey combo is still running full range. If you take a patch lead from the low frequency output into the power amp input, then the Peaveys power amp will only be handling lows.

My setup used to be similar to this, just a bit more complicated:

Bass - Peavey Firebass - HF out - Korg AX300 (stereo outs) - Behringer EP1500 - pair of 2x10 cabs
[color="#FFFFFF"]Bass - Peavey Firebass[/color] - LF out - Firebass Power amp in - 1x15 cab

Loads of big fat clean bottom end, with all the FX in stereo on the highs. Totally unnecessary and way OTT, but lots of fun nonetheless :)

Andy[/quote]

Ahhh, that explains why the TE still kicks out some highs. I'll try that later.

Building my own cab now sounds very attractive! Maybe I could make a new cab for the 18" in the TE cab, and carry that to gigs.

Are there any other manufaturers that do the bi-amp/crossover thing?