Why become a member? ×

Mint 2000 Stingray Fretless. Value?

solo4652

Hi,

I have this 4-string fretless Stingray:

[attachment=28661:Stingray_1.JPG] [attachment=28663:Stingray_4.JPG] [attachment=28662:Stingray_3.JPG]

Made on Feb 23rd 2000. Pearl Lavender body, fretless Pau Ferro fingerboard. Described by Ernie Ball company as "most likley the only one we ever made exactly like this". Complete with original Musicman hard-case. Displayed in Bass World shop in Kent until sold to me new last month. I've noodled with it fewer than 10 times in the bedroom. Never been to a rehearsal, practice or gig. Technically "used", but to all intents and purposes it's as new.

It's a beautiful bass. I keep picking it up and gazing wistfully at it. But I can't get on with the Stingray tone - I've realised I'm a P-tone man.

So, I'm beginning to consider selling it, or possibly trading it for a Highway 1 Precision or MIJ/CIJ Precision with cash my way. But - what's it worth? The only new Stingray Fretless I can find on the web is £1600. The one I have is unique, pristine and beautiful.

Seriously folks, any idea of what I might sell this for, please?

Steve

[quote name='solo4652' post='537807' date='Jul 11 2009, 12:06 PM']Hi,

I have this 4-string fretless Stingray:

[attachment=28661:Stingray_1.JPG] [attachment=28663:Stingray_4.JPG] [attachment=28662:Stingray_3.JPG]

Made on Feb 23rd 2000. Pearl Lavender body, fretless Pau Ferro fingerboard. Described by Ernie Ball company as "most likley the only one we ever made exactly like this". Complete with original Musicman hard-case. Displayed in Bass World shop in Kent until sold to me new last month. I've noodled with it fewer than 10 times in the bedroom. Never been to a rehearsal, practice or gig. Technically "used", but to all intents and purposes it's as new.

It's a beautiful bass. I keep picking it up and gazing wistfully at it. But I can't get on with the Stingray tone - I've realised I'm a P-tone man.

So, I'm beginning to consider selling it, or possibly trading it for a Highway 1 Precision or MIJ/CIJ Precision with cash my way. But - what's it worth? The only new Stingray Fretless I can find on the web is £1600. The one I have is unique, pristine and beautiful.

Seriously folks, any idea of what I might sell this for, please?

Steve[/quote]Hi Steve..

Unfortunately it really isnt a good time sell a bass at the mo..You may be shocked at how low you may have to go...ive seen Stingrays go for as little as £600 here...Yours, being new (and it is because i saw this bass very recently at Bass World) and unique may go for more...In my opinion your better off trading for something of comparable value...Just my opinion mind..Good luck..

Just to add (despite all this doom and gloom) - the bass is worth what someone is prepared to pay for it. Given its rarity, I'd put it up for around £900. I recently bought a brand new one (StingRay fretless, 3 band eq in 3 tone sunburst) and the retail is up at just over £1700. StingRay basses are fairly easy to find, but yours is a rare model and as such will command a better price.

Nick

If you want to find out if it's really unique and maybe get a small little proof of that from EBMM, might as well go on their forum and ask nicely. Not to mention if you open it up to some of the serious EBMM people in America, someone may be interested in paying top dollar for it and will be ok with paying for the shipping.

[quote name='solo4652' post='539112' date='Jul 13 2009, 09:22 AM']Thank you to everybody for your helpful thoughts and suggestions. I'll go away and have a think about the best thing to do. I'm leaning towards offering it for trades on here...

Steve[/quote]

If you'd like to change this into a 2005 candy apple red 3EQ Stingray maple fretboard with frets - let me know.

Cheers, Mart

[quote name='martthebass' post='539456' date='Jul 13 2009, 04:40 PM']Just the one. I had a 2H G&L - too many tone options for my simple brain.[/quote]

Ah, yes - I have a 2H G&L - My No.1 bass. Simple flick of the pup switch enables you to move effortlessly around P-tone, J-tone and MM-tone. I don't generally bother too much with the other switches - too many options for me too!

Thanks for your offer of the 1H 'Ray. Realistically, It's not quite what I'm after - the G&L on the rear pup does that sound for me already. Still looking for that good CIJ/MIJ or Highway 1 P bass as a possible trade, however...

[quote name='solo4652' post='539765' date='Jul 13 2009, 09:50 PM']Ah, yes - I have a 2H G&L - My No.1 bass. Simple flick of the pup switch enables you to move effortlessly around P-tone, J-tone and MM-tone. I don't generally bother too much with the other switches - too many options for me too!

Thanks for your offer of the 1H 'Ray. Realistically, It's not quite what I'm after - the G&L on the rear pup does that sound for me already. Still looking for that good CIJ/MIJ or Highway 1 P bass as a possible trade, however...[/quote]

No problem, good luck with your quest. If I had time to sell the Ray and make you an offer I would but holidays are beckoning....

You suprise me regarding the G&L comment tho, I could never get mine to sound like a Ray when I switched to the bridge pup - it was always much darker and less defined. Maybe it was just my G&L?

[quote name='martthebass' post='540006' date='Jul 14 2009, 08:27 AM']No problem, good luck with your quest. If I had time to sell the Ray and make you an offer I would but holidays are beckoning....

You suprise me regarding the G&L comment tho, I could never get mine to sound like a Ray when I switched to the bridge pup - it was always much darker and less defined. Maybe it was just my G&L?[/quote]

My G&L on the rear pup sounds very bright and clear. In fact the slight problem can sometimes be that I want more depth and roundness to the tone (easily achieved by switching to both pups) but without the volume (G&L pups are very loud). The search for a cheapish, good P to trade for my 'Ray continues...