Why become a member? ×

Amp Problems.Please help

bubinga5

I seem to be having difficulties with the high end volume on my Amp/Cab...The amp is an Aguilar 500sc and the cab is a agy 212..I used to think it was one of my basses, but it seems to do it with every bass..

.For example last night on a Stingray5 i was playing with everything dialled in to the middle. i was getting loads of punch from notes on the B E and A string but when i play up high it just seems to loose volume and its really frustrating..I know its not the strings choking, the tweeter dial on the back of the cab is on full the mids and treble on the Amp are up..

Its like there is a limiter on the amp stopping the highs from being played loud

I really can not work out what is going on..I want the same volume across all of the strings...It might be something really obvious but i cant see it?

Any help much appreciated..

[quote name='bubinga5' post='537146' date='Jul 10 2009, 12:12 PM']I seem to be having difficulties with the high end volume on my Amp/Cab...The amp is an Aguilar 500sc and the cab is a agy 212..I used to think it was one of my basses, but it seems to do it with every bass..

.For example last night on a Stingray5 i was playing with everything dialled in to the middle. i was getting loads of punch from notes on the B E and A string but when i play up high it just seems to loose volume and its really frustrating..I know its not the strings choking, the tweeter dial on the back of the cab is on full the mids and treble on the Amp are up..

Its like there is a limiter on the amp stopping the highs from being played loud

I really can not work out what is going on..I want the same volume across all of the strings...It might be something really obvious but i cant see it?

Any help much appreciated..[/quote]

I know what the problem is.

Your ears are fcuked. Comes with age I'm afraid...

...either that or the preamp isn't working as it should.

[quote name='Merton' post='537442' date='Jul 10 2009, 07:31 PM']It'll even out the peaks and troughs in your playing. Might help even out between the high and low, might of course be barking up the wrong tree.[/quote]Well ive been wanting to get a EBS multicomp...BLoody hell my knowledge of amps etc is so bad..

Thanks anyway bro..

[quote name='bubinga5' post='537466' date='Jul 10 2009, 08:24 PM']should this happen Sparticus..? urely not... What can i do if this is the case?[/quote]

It [b]could[/b] be the cab response, 212s tend to have a humpy midrange so you could be hearing a dropoff in a frequency band where the cab isnt that sensitive. The amps probbaly got a fairly flat response so if you have the same issue with all your basses then it could well be the cab, its very hard to get a flat response and 12s are known to be very humpy and peaky in theor response. If its a one-off it could be the acostics in the venue. Have you tried using your Aggy 112 and seeng if the same thing happens?

Edited by Spartacus