Why become a member? ×

Beginer bass question

happychappy

I don't know that one but there are a lot of reasonable cheap basses around these days, though you often have to find the right one from a batch to get a good one.

If possible, you are better looking through the for sale section here. Most prices on BC are often very good compared to elsewhere and the people here are usually great to deal with.

For not very much more than that you can often pick up something like a second hand Squier VM or Vibe - there are usually at least one or two of those for sale on BC, and the quality is more reliable.

Stagg are doing some really good stuff these days and the reputation is changing from what they had a few years ago. If it's a first one I really would urge you NOT to buy online or at Argos... Try before you buy. Owning an instrument is hugely personal and it should feel right when you hold it, even if you can't play. Go to a few shops and have a look. Best of luck

[quote name='happychappy' post='536781' date='Jul 9 2009, 08:42 PM']....ive heard mixed reviews about them and i dont know whether to buy it or not...[/quote]
Mmm, [i]mixed[/i] reviews would be a deal breaker for me. How about having a look at the Squire Classic Vibe range. They get [i]good[/i] reviews!

There are a couple [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=49266"]HERE[/url] that'd suit - both the Yamaha and the Ibanez are good, well put together instruments, and at £100 each you wouldn't lose much (if any) cash if you decide to sell. Spend the extra on a better amp.

Andy

I've tried one of those....they are good...if set up well.
The output is nice and powerful, the range of tones good. The neck is more chunky than an Epiphone T Bird, a good first bass.
If you want a new bass, IMO Ibanez is good value for money.
You might try a second hand Epiphone, they slightly more refined but similar spec (and look, sort of) to the Stagg.

[quote name='happychappy' post='536781' date='Jul 9 2009, 08:42 PM']is this bass any good,ive heard mixed reviews about them and i dont know whether to buy it or not.
[url="http://www.guitarampkeyboard.com/en/stagg-bm-370-vintage-m-series/68744"]BASS[/url]

thanks[/quote]

They dont have good balance and dont hold their resale value well. IMO youd do better spending a few extra £ with an ibanez GSR180 or a Squier Affinity Jazz if you want to buy a new passive bass.