Why become a member? ×

Sticky weather = sticky necks?

neepheid

I haven't noticed this in the past, so I can only assume that it's to do with being the hottest summer since I seriously began playing bass but I'm finding nearly all my necks to a greater or lesser degree rather sticky and "grabby" on my thumb on the back of them. This is particularly annoying while sliding.

Right now it's a case of playing the one which feels least sticky. Perhaps it's the stuff which is on the neck - I think the G-3 feels the worst (probably nitro) and the Squier neck on my Fecker Imprecision the least sticky (poly, likely) with the shellac of my custom build somewhere in between. This is annoying, because I've been obsessively playing the G-3 since I got it.

Is anyone else having this issue during this little, government endorsed "heatwave"? Is it just sweat? Humidity? My basses slowly melting?

My LH thumb polished my Roscoe's neck from a silky smooth super fast satin finish to a grippy shine in hours.

The only advice I've heard is to either put talc on your thumb (and then the bass :)) or remove the neck and have at it (gently) with some wire wool. I can attest to the wre wool (used to do this to the Vester, it definitely works, I just havent had the courage to do that to my Roscoe yet :rolleyes: