Why become a member? ×

45 day limit for raising ebay dispute

I'm sure that most people are aware of this but as a relative newcomer to Ebay I wasn't, and it could have cost me dearly. I bought an item using Paypal and it arrived wrecked in the post. Numerous emails to the buyer produced no replacement or refund - nothing. Because I left it for more than 45 days to raise a dispute with Ebay and Paypal, neither will pursue my complaint against the seller. Fortunately, I've only lost a total of £8, but it could have been a lot more. I'm regarding it as an important lesson learned for a cheap price. :)

So, if you want to raise a dispute with either Ebay or Paypal, make sure you do it within 45 days of the transaction.

Steve

[quote name='solo4652' post='530228' date='Jul 2 2009, 08:48 AM']I'm sure that most people are aware of this but as a relative newcomer to Ebay I wasn't, and it could have cost me dearly. I bought an item using Paypal and it arrived wrecked in the post. Numerous emails to the buyer produced no replacement or refund - nothing. Because I left it for more than 45 days to raise a dispute with Ebay and Paypal, neither will pursue my complaint against the seller. Fortunately, I've only lost a total of £8, but it could have been a lot more. I'm regarding it as an important lesson learned for a cheap price. :)

So, if you want to raise a dispute with either Ebay or Paypal, make sure you do it within 45 days of the transaction.

Steve[/quote]

Hey Steve
Glad it was only £8.00, and you can still leave negative feedack which will cost the seller far more than £8.00 in future auctions (people don't bid so high when the seller has less than 100%, you should mention this in your final refund request email to ther seller).

On this topic, folks should also beware that both ebay and Paypal will let you go to the claims page and fill it in (up to 15 minutes) and only then tell you that you're too late to claim. I'm sure there's a reason for this (possibly for data or strategic reasons), but it's bloody annoying!
Chris

Happened to me too. Bought a spares/repairs laptop which didn't contain a part i needed, even though it was visible in the pics and the seller had confirmed it was present.
The problem is that eBay/Paypal like you to work things out with the seller first before making a claim. In my case the seller stalled (claimed he'd forgot to include it, was in the post etc.) so the 45 day limit was up

Ended up costing me nearly a tenner for a bit of plastic!

EDIT for random spelling

Edited by lemmywinks

A mate of mine recently bought an ibanez guitar in pretty bad condition, it's about as old as me i think. It's been a bit of a project and he hasn't used it. He recently learned that what he thought was just the finish wearing away in the back of the neck where the nut bolts through, was in fact a break in the neck, despite me telling him numerous times! He left that one over 45 days, so i think he's gonna get it fixed instead.