Why become a member? ×

Someone help me stop curling my fingers please

cameltoe

Well i'm fairly new to bass anyway, and for the first year or so I used a pick. Since I bought my P bass though I have been using a 2 finger technique (which I might progress to 3) which has served me well. However, on faster tempo songs something isn't quite right, I can't get my fingers to move as quickly as I need them to do, and I'm convinced it's because i'm curling the fingers too much. My fingers feel like they're almost 'sticking' on the strings sometimes, yet whenever I try and straighten my fingers a bit I find I either have very little accuracy or i can't attack the strings enough. I've been looking at right hand techniques on youtube, etc, and it almost seems like I hit the strings with too much tension in my fingers whereas the correct way is a bit looser. I need someone to explain to me the dynamnics of playing like this. I can see what I'm supposed to do, but I can't make it happen.

pic:[attachment=28076:15_1.jpg]

[quote name='cameltoe' post='529725' date='Jul 1 2009, 04:46 PM']Well i'm fairly new to bass anyway, and for the first year or so I used a pick. Since I bought my P bass though I have been using a 2 finger technique (which I might progress to 3) which has served me well. However, on faster tempo songs something isn't quite right, I can't get my fingers to move as quickly as I need them to do, and I'm convinced it's because i'm curling the fingers too much. My fingers feel like they're almost 'sticking' on the strings sometimes, yet whenever I try and straighten my fingers a bit I find I either have very little accuracy or i can't attack the strings enough. I've been looking at right hand techniques on youtube, etc, and it almost seems like I hit the strings with too much tension in my fingers whereas the correct way is a bit looser. I need someone to explain to me the dynamnics of playing like this. I can see what I'm supposed to do, but I can't make it happen.

pic:[attachment=28076:15_1.jpg][/quote]

There's no magic trick to getting your fingers to move more quickly with accuracy, it's just practice! My advice would be to play those "faster tempo songs" at a speed where you CAN play them as you want to. Then gradually increase the tempo.

Just a few thoughts:
1) It's something that will probably come with time as long as you know what your hand should be doing - as strength builds up in your hand muscles the shape will follow
2) Try not to just think of the finger movement as just coming from your knuckles - the tendons that move your fingers start up at the elbow - and so you've got to think of it all as one unit, with tension and force coming from your forearm, wrist, hand and knuckles/fingers.
3) Without a bass, try sticking your thumb up like you're hitchiking - this is more the sort of position your thumb should be in to get a good anchor on the string /pickup/fretboard to get a good pivot
Good luck
Andy

Hi,
Have had a look at the pic & it looks like there is a LOT of tension in your picking hand. I think a more relaxed approach would be in order?

A "moveable anchor" might be a good starting point (go to www.adamnitti.com - there's a lesson page on there regarding plucking technique), or failing that, go to Todd Johnson's floating thumb video on YouTube. There's also a clip on Dave Marks' YouTube lessons about tension in the plucking hand which is well worth a watch.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus

I am relatively new to playing, and i had this problem. I found an excercise that really helped was as follows:

Play the 1st,3rd,5th and 7th of the major scale, root note G ( 1 note each)
then slide up to A and again play the 1st,3rd,5th and 7th but this time in the minor scale
then up to the B and repeat the sequence in major
the up to C and repeat in minor

start off slow, getting the notes correct and paying particular attention to finger accuracy correct. Stay relaxed (easier said than done when your trying to concentrate!) and the speed will come on both hands. When you get faster you can start playing each note twice, then four times etc

This helped my speed and accuracy alot, hope it can help you! :)

Try this:

Stand up straight. Relax your right arm and hand completely, letting your hand hang by your side.

Your wrist and hand will naturally fall into a good playing position.

Put your thumb on the E string, and your first finger-tip on the A string, keeping your hand relaxed in the position outlined above. (My thumb bends backwards slightly when I do this, but I don't think that's a problem)

Keeping your first finger fairly straight, pull it upwards towards your thumb. It will naturally let go of the string, sounding it. Let the fingertip come to rest against your thumb.

Try the same with the thumb on the E string and the first finger on the D string. This time, let the finger come to rest against the A string.

This is similar to a classical guitar technique called the 'rest stroke' (as opposed to 'free strokes').

Try also moving the thumb from string to string, say using the A string as an anchor when playing repeatedly on the D string.

Edited by dlloyd

nice advice, cheers guys.

There is alot of tension in my hand, and it happens more and more the more challenging the song is. I could play them with a pick, no problem, but using the fingers gives alot better control, when you can do it right, of course!

Curling the knuckles like that comes from finger picking on my guitar, i've just taken the technique I use there and applied it to bass. Maybe I need a better anchor!

I've only been using the very top of the neck on my p bass, just that little small bit of the fret board that juts out, then using the A string when I need to move down. I'll see if I can use the pick up if not I guess I could buy one of those thumb rests and put it exactly where it feels comfortable.

It's the relaxed hand issue thats getting me! Can't get my head round it! How do you get any sound out of the bass?

Getting the bass to lock in with the drums on 'Symapthy for the Devil' is the one I always get stuck on at gigs. I mean, I do OK, but it could be alot better. Like I said, the tension in my right hand with the curling fingers makes it feel like the strings are sticking almost.

I'd suggest, as you've mentioned, moving your anchor point back towards the pick-up, using it as an anchor. I think maybe your arm will be a bit straighter, which may help lessen the tension in your hand/fingers. Maybe lowering the strap as well a touch may help.

[quote name='iamthewalrus' post='529976' date='Jul 1 2009, 09:14 PM']Hi,
Have had a look at the pic & it looks like there is a LOT of tension in your picking hand. I think a more relaxed approach would be in order?

A "moveable anchor" might be a good starting point (go to www.adamnitti.com - there's a lesson page on there regarding plucking technique), or failing that, go to Todd Johnson's floating thumb video on YouTube. There's also a clip on Dave Marks' YouTube lessons about tension in the plucking hand which is well worth a watch.

Cheers,
iamthewalrus[/quote]
A big +1 for this.

Its finding a decent anchor I'm really struggling with. My pickups were quite low- I've wound them out a touch to see if I can use them as an anchor- not too sure yet. My gig on Friday was weird. I've now highlighted the problem, so all night I was struggling with making anything feel comfortable with my right hand.

Should I have my thumb anchored to the side of my fingers- i.e, like a hitchikers thumb laid flat- or should I have my thumb underneath my fingers like a kind of weird claw shape- as if i was controling a puppet, so to speak! It all feels weird at the moment. Plus I think I may need to invest in a thumb rest to use as an anchor but I don't want to mutilate my bass before I know what will feel comfy in the long run

right I'm getting a good groove going when I try both using my hand like a hitchhikers, using the pick up as a bit of an anchor, and using the E as an anchor on the other strings. I can also get a good rhythm going using the A as an anchor when playing the D and G. I have to decide which to go after now, as I feel comfy with them both but obviously need to stick to one to practice. Is there any advantage of moving to the A as an anchor when plucking D and G or is it just more faffing which will eventually slow you down?

I anchor on the string below what I'm playing on. It feels a bit odd at first, but you'll soon be moving your thumb around without even thinking about it. I find it helps with string muting too.

For what its worth, I play with my thumb in the 'controlling a puppet' style as you call it, and have no problems, but I don't know if that's typical either! Just feels more stable that way to me. It stays in line with my middle finger all the time. I think its a comfort thing - if you're going well with your thumb out in a hitchiker stylee, then just carry on like that :)