Why become a member? ×

Backing tracks for pub bands

colonel_milldawg

Hi everyone.

Me and a friend are thinking of starting up a pub covers band and need to get some decent backing tracks together. I've heard you can download midi files free, but they all seem to be kareoke type backing tracks, we're really looking for just drums, bass, and maby a couple of bits of bobs on our backing tracks with ourselves playing guitars and vocals over the top of it. So a file with the seperate tracks for each instrument is needed where we can take out what we dont need or want, and add other parts to it. Any ideas where such backing tracks can be found?

Thanks for any help!

[quote name='crez5150' post='523903' date='Jun 25 2009, 05:21 PM']Think there are a few companies on the web that offer this product..... but it's not cheap...... my brother plays in a trio where they made their own backing tracks with a multi recorder..... much better option[/quote]
Try these two - free!

[url="http://www.guitarbt.com/index.php?page=dl_list"]http://www.guitarbt.com/index.php?page=dl_list[/url]

[url="http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/"]http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/[/url]

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='525385' date='Jun 26 2009, 09:49 PM']1 Why dont one of you take up the Bass?
2. Are their any particular reasons for staying a two-piece

Nothing against backing tracks but you could be two thirds of the way to a full live band.

BB[/quote]

I'd go further - what's wrong with a duo (without backing tracks)? I do plenty of duo gigs (guitar, upright bass) without needing to resort to that kind of shenanigans. If you've got to add some percussion play a stomp-box or a tambourine with your foot. A small suitcase makes a great bass drum. People will remember that kind of thing and tell their mates. No one goes away remembering the great backing tapes some act uses. Plus you don't have to sacrifice your flexibility. I'd hate to be tied down to a backing track.

[quote name='BarnacleBob' post='525385' date='Jun 26 2009, 09:49 PM']1 Why dont one of you take up the Bass?
2. Are their any particular reasons for staying a two-piece

Nothing against backing tracks but you could be two thirds of the way to a full live band.

BB[/quote]

Less people to split the wonga with....... gets my vote!

Exactly. look at 'ol Seasick Steve!

If you both sing and are half decent at it thats your biggest hurdle out the way IMO
of course the more people in the band, the more opinions etc etc.
Maybe once u establish urselves using the B/tracks u might get the urge to expand.

All the best

BB

I would have thought Midi files are the way to go.
Download the file and strip out the tracks you dont need.
If its an 01 midi file, it will all be on separate tracks.
You can then change endings, keys and use your own sounds.
Plenty of free ones out there,
some are crap, but if you look around some are ok.
I have done plenty for my wife's Duo, [ she or they then pays me in other ways ] :)
Saves the time of transcribing the original track.

Garry

We use Midi tracks for Drums and Guitar.
Use a search engine such as VanBasco, [url="http://www.vanbasco.com/"]http://www.vanbasco.com/[/url]
pick the best tracks and then use some editing software to strip out the tracks you don't want.
Pretty sure Sweet Midi player is free here [url="http://www.ronimusic.com/"]http://www.ronimusic.com/[/url]
or use Studio 4. Sweet Midi player will also allow you to change instruments on each track as well.
PM me if you want to chat through the whole process.

There are many reasons why people use backing tracks, the most common is that after spending years in a band people are fed up with the politics and unreliability of other musicians also remember that some people are not lucky enough to have well paid jobs so they use their skill to supplement their wages.

Baking tracks mean a better sound which means more work and better venues, so why not.

[quote name='ironside1966' post='526715' date='Jun 28 2009, 02:08 PM']Baking tracks mean a better sound which means more work and better venues, so why not.[/quote]

Ah, I couldn't disagree with you more. Pre-recorded backing tracks always sound like pre-recorded backing tracks not live musicians, spoiling the sound of a good duo, and the more discerning venues won't want you. You just don't need them. Instead, either: 1) choose appropriate material, or re-arrange material to suit what may be perceived as the limitations of a duo (I chose not to see them as limitations but advantages, and therefore side-step the issue); or 2) get a lineup to match the material you want to play.

There are plenty of hard-working duos out there doing very well without resorting to backing tracks, but using their own skill to fill out the sound. F'rinstance, as an upright player with a strong slap technique I can play bass and percussion at the same time. Don't ignore the possibilities of a harmonica (and/or kazoo) on a harness, or my earlier examples: the amplified stomp box, or the tambourine played with the foot.

Each to their own, of course, but I just don't like backing tracks, and I think they detract more than they add.

One of the bands I play in has just given up using backing tracks, for a number of reasons. First, you have no flexibility at all - you just play to the track. If the song's going well you can't extend it (and conversely can't cut it short if it's bombing). And that leads on the next point which is you can't cover up mistakes - get out of step with the track and it's game over. And this will happen unless you always guarantee a decent sound - if you can't hear the track because the monitors aren't working one night.......... It's OK for a solo artist because you can work round these problems but if it's a couple of you, you will need to be almost telepathic.

In my experience the drawbacks heavily outweigh the advantages. And then there's the point that playing bass against a drum machine is pretty soul destroying as all you do all night is count bars to make sure you know where you are. So that's why we've just recruited a drummer. Less money, more hassle maybe, but much more fun.

Edited by northstreet

[quote name='northstreet' post='526759' date='Jun 28 2009, 03:14 PM']One of the bands I play in has just given up using backing tracks, for a number of reasons. First, you have no flexibility at all - you just play to the track. If the songs going well you can't extend it (and conversely can't cut it short if its bombing). And that leads on the next point which is you can't cover up mistakes - get out of step with the track and it's game over. And this will happen unless you always guarantee a decent sound - if you can't hear the track because the monitors aren't working one night.......... It's OK for a solo artist because you can work round these problems but if it's a couple of you, you will need to be almost telepathic.

In my experience the drawbacks heavily outweigh the advantages. And then there's the point that playing bass against a drum machine is pretty soul destroying as all you do all night is count bars to make sure you know where you are. So that's why we've just recruited a drummer. Less more, more hassle maybe, but much more fun.[/quote]
Amen Brother! :)

It depends on what type of music you want to play, I can see what you are saying in a folk, blues or jazz type venues and I will agree with but in your average pub or club where people just want to be entertained and have a dance then I stand by what I say. what happens if you just want to play rock and pop covers like a lot of duos.

Most people would love to play with a great full band but it is not always possible.
It is all down to the music you want to play and where you want to play it nothing to do with skill

[quote name='ironside1966' post='526815' date='Jun 28 2009, 04:29 PM']It depends on what type of music you want to play, I can see what you are saying in a folk, blues or jazz type venues and I will agree with but in your average pub or club where people just want to be entertained and have a dance then I stand by what I say. what happens if you just want to play rock and pop covers like a lot of duos.

Most people would love to play with a great full band but it is not always possible.
It is all down to the music you want to play and where you want to play it nothing to do with skill[/quote]
Well, at the risk of labouring the point, what happens is you won't stand out - you'll just blend in with all the others. Fine if that's what you want, but I'd want to aim higher. And I don't think that it's just a question of material - White Stripes and Black Keys are pretty rocky and duos (admittedly not 2 guitars). But it's not necessarily about skill either - it's about imagination, and seeing advantage where others see limitation.

Maybe like you I am no spring chicken and have grown up around bands and musicians Some Pro others just happy to gig play a few tunes and enjoy themselves.

but on a personal note I have done the duo thing for a short while both with double bass and electric, We where ok but I hated it was not for me

Edited by ironside1966

This is a bass forum. Asking a community of bass players how to perform without a bass player but with a karaoke version instead seems a bit weird in my view.

Using a backing track is more like to karaoke than live music.

There's no substitute for the interaction you get with a decent band playing together and reacting to the vibe.