Why become a member? ×

gibson EB2?

Anyone else seen this? (apologies if its been posted before)
[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1958-Gibson-EB-2-Bass-Guitar-Must-See-Extremely-Rare_W0QQitemZ220440378826QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item3353453dca&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1688%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A0%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1958-Gibson-EB-2-Bas...%3A1%7C294%3A50[/url]

its in pretty rough condition- I'd love one but I dont think I'd like to touch this one though
(I wish epiphone would reissue their rivolis again!)

If it went for peanuts then I'd love to restore it. But it won't, despite its lack of verifiable age and absolutely dreadful condition. It's VINTAGE, you see.

Honestly, some people would buy a vintage chocolate teapot, just because it was vintage.

Looks like a lot of water damage, maybe condensation. Probably 58-59 is close to it's age and the neck hasn't broken at the headstock, which is always a bonus, but this is a luthier rebuild not a semi-pro job. It needs a total rebuild and in the end it'll be nice to look at but it'll sound just like most Gibson basses did, indistinct, muddy and woolly!

Edited by chris_b

Depending on exactly what issues there are with that, I think I could live with just bringing it back to a playable condition, re-glueing the fingerboard and replacing the tuner. Probably have the headstock veneer renewed as well.

Everything else I could happily live with. :)

I suspect this is still going to fetch silly money though.