Why become a member? ×

Withdrawn

Schnozzalee

Hi Basschatters,

Heres a bit of a Funk Machine, a 1994 USA Californian Custom made Kubicki Key Factor. This bass was made as the Review Model for this series and featured in Guitar Magazine, of which I own a copy which will come with the bass, along with a hardshell case.

[color="#FF0000"]I'm looking to trade/part exchange at current, with cash either way. I'd prefer to downgrade but send me a PM regardless if your interested (can also provide a cash only price).Reason I'm moving it on is because I'm looking to play in student pubs/clubs and I'd rather knock something about a little less rare n valuable![/color]

Specs:

34" Bolt on Hard Rock Maple Neck with Curved Brazilian Rosewood 24 fret fingerboard. Jazz neck profile with signature kubicki dash inlays (Recommend for speedy players with small hands!)
Gloss Polyurethane Tobacco Sunburst Eastern Soft Maple body bearing "Factor by Phillip Kubicki".
Black M4 Schaller/Kubicki alloy hardware.
Custom Wound Kubicki hum cancelling soapbar pickups.
Stacked volume and tone knobs for each soapbar and 6 way preamp selector.
Plush interior Hardshell case (non-kubicki)

The bass can provide both active and passive Jazz and Precision bass tones. How?! six way preamp selector. The bass also has a flat motown style sound, useful for Rocco Prestia and your James Jamerson covers. The 6th position mutes the bass and all feedback entirely, which is a handy addition. Uses the same electronics as the Kubicki Ex factor for your Stu Hamm and Vail Johnson tones but is tuned at the headstock as opposed to the bridge and has 24 frets instead of 23. Just a lil sound clip here:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PCN2uHZ61U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PCN2uHZ61U[/url]

The bass has been previously setup and well looked after - has minimal fretwear, action is low and the neck is straight. The pickups are cureved and act as a ramp in line with the curve of the fretboard. Well looked after only some hairline scratches. Can provide more photos if needed.

[attachment=31880:P1000967.JPG][attachment=31881:P1000970.JPG]

Edited by Schnozzalee

Ah, my 'baby' returns - I wondered where it had been hiding out :rolleyes:

I was the first owner of this after it was reviewed in Guitar mag.

Really nice bass, so light and super versatile, great covers band gigging bass as it switches so fast from Jazz to Precision to high definition active sounds at the flick of a switch, even has a bass boost option for soloing.

Hope it goes to a nice home :)

[quote name='Kongo' post='521296' date='Jun 22 2009, 11:17 PM']Phew...glad it's not an X-factor or I's defo be upset! :)
Not too keen on the Key Factor though...no fret extention!

But, a great bass nonetheless.[/quote]

No need for fret extension! 24 frets :rolleyes:

[quote name='molan' post='521408' date='Jun 23 2009, 08:16 AM']Ah, my 'baby' returns - I wondered where it had been hiding out :rolleyes:

I was the first owner of this after it was reviewed in Guitar mag.

Really nice bass, so light and super versatile, great covers band gigging bass as it switches so fast from Jazz to Precision to high definition active sounds at the flick of a switch, even has a bass boost option for soloing.

Hope it goes to a nice home :)[/quote]

Hi Molan! Yeah its in fab condition, the owner afterwards looked after it brilliantly as well. Do you know how the active passive electronics work? I was looking for a battery input, still puzzles me - but thats not hard. I'm still a lil apprehensive on selling this one because its hard to find a bass for small hands that has that kinda tone.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='521535' date='Jun 23 2009, 11:02 AM']Hi Molan! Yeah its in fab condition, the owner afterwards looked after it brilliantly as well. Do you know how the active passive electronics work? I was looking for a battery input, still puzzles me - but thats not hard. I'm still a lil apprehensive on selling this one because its hard to find a bass for small hands that has that kinda tone.[/quote]

I seem to remember the battery clipped into the main control cavity on the rear?

I don't remember it ever running out, lol. I used to use the passive 'J' setting a lot so that would really cut down on battery use anyway. I'm pretty sure the three passive settings are true bypass as well so they would all work should the battery fail.

There's a fair bit of info on the Philp Kubicki site as well.

The neck is really nice & definitely great for smaller hands. I'd say it's quite similar to my '75 Jazz Reissue.

I think it only weighs about 7lbs as well :)

Have you had it professionally set up since you picked it up?

[quote name='molan' post='521550' date='Jun 23 2009, 11:13 AM']I seem to remember the battery clipped into the main control cavity on the rear?

I don't remember it ever running out, lol. I used to use the passive 'J' setting a lot so that would really cut down on battery use anyway. I'm pretty sure the three passive settings are true bypass as well so they would all work should the battery fail.

There's a fair bit of info on the Philp Kubicki site as well.

The neck is really nice & definitely great for smaller hands. I'd say it's quite similar to my '75 Jazz Reissue.

I think it only weighs about 7lbs as well :)

Have you had it professionally set up since you picked it up?[/quote]

*Unscrews cavity* Oh ho ho.... thats embarassing, I jus thought the pickups were high output/overwound or something! I've been using the Active Jazz setting A LOT and it hasn't ran out yet! It has a great growl to it, and the slap style is the best i've heard but the passive jazz would be the most realistic to gig with unless its one of those bands where its all about the bassist...Jamiroquai. That battery thing is really weird, thatnks for clearing that up! :rolleyes:

Its definately the lightest bass I've played, It seemed like it had been setup before, I only took out the buzz on the A string around the 19th fret, by adjusting the saddle and leaving the neck straight. I could get it professionally setup at Cardiff Guitars in september. The frets are barely worn.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='521585' date='Jun 23 2009, 11:47 AM']*Unscrews cavity* Oh ho ho.... thats embarassing, I jus thought the pickups were high output/overwound or something! I've been using the Active Jazz setting A LOT and it hasn't ran out yet! It has a great growl to it, and the slap style is the best i've heard but the passive jazz would be the most realistic to gig with unless its one of those bands where its all about the bassist...Jamiroquai. That battery thing is really weird, thatnks for clearing that up! :)

Its definately the lightest bass I've played, It seemed like it had been setup before, I only took out the buzz on the A string around the 19th fret, by adjusting the saddle and leaving the neck straight. I could get it professionally setup at Cardiff Guitars in september. The frets are barely worn.[/quote]

I'm a big fan of seperate battery compartments - At least you know where you stand & thye ping out easily, lol.

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='521527' date='Jun 23 2009, 10:58 AM']No need for fret extension! 24 frets :rolleyes:[/quote]

No, backwards I mean, like a double bass.
You can move a switch to create a new nut on the E-string, creating 2 frets and making the string D.
A unique in the X-factor bass. :)
Hamm used this no end for tapping.

[quote name='Kongo' post='521926' date='Jun 23 2009, 06:03 PM']No, backwards I mean, like a double bass.
You can move a switch to create a new nut on the E-string, creating 2 frets and making the string D.
A unique in the X-factor bass. :)
Hamm used this no end for tapping.[/quote]

Admittedly going down to Eb would be an advantage for me, detuning is a pain.....but theres always the option of fitting a drop D tuner :rolleyes:

[quote name='Schnozzalee' post='522924' date='Jun 24 2009, 08:24 PM']Admittedly going down to Eb would be an advantage for me, detuning is a pain.....but theres always the option of fitting a drop D tuner :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yeah...not on this though...plus...Ah c'mon it's not the same as the extra 2 fret gimick! :)

Edited by Kongo

• 2 months later...

[quote name='witterth' post='585168' date='Aug 30 2009, 03:39 PM']Not trying to be a smartass, but are the E&G strung the wrong way round?
or are they supposed to go on that way? honest not trying to be a "know it all" genuinley curious :)[/quote]

Here's my original listing with some pics from the original magazine review which shows how tight the spacing is on the headstock - all works perfectly though :rolleyes:

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16276"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=16276[/url]

Edited by molan

[quote name='Zach' post='587325' date='Sep 2 2009, 11:42 AM']just tried to watch the youtube clip, and it told me 'The URL contained a malformed video ID.' so it didn't work. you might want to correct that.

sweet looking bass though.[/quote]

Hi Zach,

sorry about that, I'll look into amending it.
[color="#FF0000"]
(DONE!)[/color]

Edited by Schnozzalee