Why become a member? ×

Hi, Bass player John Otway Big Band

seymourfluid

Hi, Nice to find a UK bass forum.

Informative and fun. Nice.

Been playing bass for the weird and wacky John Otway for about 15 years now…..and still have a day job as a medical electronics engineer. :-)

Gear? MusicMan Sterling, a load of Ashdown gear they give me at trade and a line 6 XTPro. Makes a nice sound and loud enough to compete with our stunt guitarist Richard Holgarth (Otherwise known as “The C*** with the axe” or “F***** Jimmy Hendrix”. You get the picture.

Cheers PPL.

Seymour

[quote name='seymourfluid' post='54474' date='Sep 2 2007, 10:42 PM']Been playing bass for the weird and wacky John Otway for about 15 years now…..[/quote]

You have my deepest sympathy - has your psychiatrist given you any hope of you leading a normal productive life again?

and welcome :)

Hamster

[quote name='OldGit' post='54567' date='Sep 3 2007, 08:48 AM']So did you play on the second Hit?[/quote]

Yep. No 9 in the charts, Top of the Pops, Party and gig at the Palladium…………..It was a blast!

Got pissed at TOTP’s in the “Star Bar” with Badly Drawn Boy. The bar staff where really happy to see us because in the last few years of the show, most of the artists where too young to drink in there.

We kept them busy. :-)

[quote name='seymourfluid' post='54669' date='Sep 3 2007, 12:03 PM']Yep. No 9 in the charts, Top of the Pops, Party and gig at the Palladium…………..It was a blast!

Got pissed at TOTP’s in the “Star Bar” with Badly Drawn Boy. The bar staff where really happy to see us because in the last few years of the show, most of the artists where too young to drink in there.

We kept them busy. :-)[/quote]

Wow a star in our midst!
Well I hope you can share your experiences with us ~:)

Seen Otway three times, the first time (many years back) was with just a guitarist (not Wild Willy Barrett), other times just him and Richard. Pants-wettingly funny. Presumably he also tours with a full band then? Would like to see that. Folks, if you ever get a chance to see Otway live, take it, the man's a genius. Welcome.

Edited by Deep Thought

[quote name='andyonbass' post='54890' date='Sep 3 2007, 07:02 PM']Welcome, Seymour, I dunno how you manage it - I'd be rolling around the floor most of the time. What a great gig to get.
If anyone on here is unfamiliar with Otway, do a search on you tube, theres quite a bit on there[/quote]

Ha ha yeah
I doubt he has the same rules as Ken Dodd .. Someone I know used to bass for Ken's show band and the rules were "laugh at all of the jokes or you are fired" even after 100 repitions ...

[quote name='Deep Thought' post='54807' date='Sep 3 2007, 04:19 PM']Seen Otway three times, the first time (many years back) was with just a guitarist (not Wild Willy Barrett), other times just him and Richard. Pants-wettingly funny. Presumably he also tours with a full band then? Would like to see that. Folks, if you ever get a chance to see Otway live, take it, the man's a genius. Welcome.[/quote]

Full band has been together for 15 years now.

Otway has a very fluid show. He goes out with his guitarest Richard Holgarth as a duo. He go's out as solo, duo with max splodge, duo with wild willy, duo with atilla the stock broker and then with the full band in three different formats. He's a busy boy! :-)

If you look at his web site, it usualy tells you the format of the show next to the gig.

If you get to a band show, come and say hello, I may even buy you a pint Mr Thought. :-)