Why become a member? ×

Any Bass DVD training recommendations?

JPAC

[quote name='RAY AGAINST THE MACHINE' post='519661' date='Jun 20 2009, 10:25 PM']However, if you like a certain player or style then buying a dvd isn't a bad thing.
(unless you get one which is too advanced)[/quote]
Totally agree. There is nothing quite as disheartening as a tutorial DVD that goes right over your head or where the tutor doesn't explain clearly what they mean.

• 2 weeks later...

This is great - I know it's Wooten and he does play some pretty amazing solo bass stuff on it - but the majority of it looks at how to approach the very fundamentals of MUSIC (not just bass playing) and is full of great, practical and useful/insightful ways of getting the most out of playing music - on the bass:

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victor-Wooten-Groove-Workshop-Region/dp/B001DPC4I2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1247220896&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victor-Wooten-Groo...0896&sr=8-1[/url]

While there are some technical demos on there it's way more about putting all the different elements of playing into the context of actually making music, and even looks at the motivations for actually using a certain technique and its use as a musical device and its impact or otherwise on what someone listening to you play music (rather than just focusing on the bass). It really is good and with 5 hours of material included you really get your money's worth.

Mike

[quote name='urb' post='537111' date='Jul 10 2009, 11:19 AM']This is great ...

[url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victor-Wooten-Groove-Workshop-Region/dp/B001DPC4I2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1247220896&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Victor-Wooten-Groo...0896&sr=8-1[/url]

It really is good and with 5 hours of material included you really get your money's worth.

Mike[/quote]

Looks interesting. How do you get to see it with the region coding and needing a NTSC TV?

[quote name='JPAC' post='537123' date='Jul 10 2009, 11:30 AM']Looks interesting. How do you get to see it with the region coding and needing a NTSC TV?[/quote]

Um, if you live in the UK and you buy from Amazon.co.uk you will be sent a Region 1 DVD to the best of my knowledge... would that be problem for you and your DVD setup?

There's atrailer on youtube here:

[quote name='urb' post='538821' date='Jul 12 2009, 09:20 PM']Um, if you live in the UK and you buy from Amazon.co.uk you will be sent a Region 1 DVD to the best of my knowledge... would that be problem for you and your DVD setup?[/quote]

Yes, in the UK we use the PAL system and region 2 coding - not compatible.

I'm not keen on that DVD so I'll keep looking, thanks.

[quote name='urb' post='538821' date='Jul 12 2009, 09:20 PM']Um, if you live in the UK and you buy from Amazon.co.uk you will be sent a Region 1 DVD to the best of my knowledge... would that be problem for you and your DVD setup?

...[/quote]

I think that's the problem - Europe is Region 2.

[quote name='JPAC' post='538852' date='Jul 12 2009, 09:46 PM']Yes, in the UK we use the PAL system and region 2 coding - not compatible.

I'm not keen on that DVD so I'll keep looking, thanks.[/quote]

OK sorry - I assumed (wrongly) that you'd be sent a compatible DVD to the country you are purchasing it in... my mistake - this is a good DVD but if you want something more cut and dried there are dozens to choose from - what do you want to learn? There's something for practically every style and theoretical avenue out there - do you ever get to London? Denmark street has a couple of big sheet music shops that also carry hundreds of DVD titles - sometimes it's easier to choose one like that than online.

Just trying to help :)

M