Why become a member? ×

If I wanted a fretless Sadowsky UV70......?

Beedster

Should I order one (NYC range only & 6 months wait)

or

Should I buy Birdy's (well, I might have to wait a while so his will likely be sold), and get a new board put on?

This is very specualtive at present, but I definitely want another fretless to sit alongside my old Fender, and something that matched my UV70 would be ideal

Your thoughts folks.....?

Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='510102' date='Jun 10 2009, 12:56 PM']Should I order one (NYC range only & 6 months wait)

or

Should I buy Birdy's (well, I might have to wait a while so his will likely be sold), and get a new board put on?

This is very specualtive at present, but I definitely want another fretless to sit alongside my old Fender, and something that matched my UV70 would be ideal

Your thoughts folks.....?

Chris[/quote]

Chris,

When you say get a new board put on I am not sure what you mean but if it were me I would possibly look at getting Martin at the Gallery or some other reputable luthier to defret it and fill in the holes ala Jaco.

Also, regarding my Sadowsky I am not in any great rush to sell and am umming and ahhing - I just need to raise some cash for 2 months time so if you wanted it I am sure we could come to some arrangement.

I guess the NYC order would be the safest bet as it would be built as a fretless and constructed in that way.

Lastly, have you considered buying a fretless Fender or other bass and ordering the Sadowsky electronics and having them fitted or getting the outboard preamp.

Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve. The problem I'd have with a defret is the inlays, although obviously if the neck were varnished there'd be no tonal difference, but they would confuse the hell out of me visually (as would dots between the frets on the binding but that can be dealt with). Also, I've played a lot of fretless basses recently and without doubt the board on which I played best was one with dot markers on the binding AND dots running under the G-string on the board itself, which gave the apearance of an unlined board whilst allowing me to get the angles right if you know what I mean (my intonation on D and G can go badly off if, for example, I'm playing on a small stage and have to hoist the headstock up a bit to avoid taking out punters). In short I'd want those dots put in. The Fender idea is good but the Sadowsky build and natural tone is, let's face it, way ahead. The only Fender I've found that I love is my '73 and I'm not cutting holes in that, in fact, it'll remain my number one for gigging, it's just got too many dead spots, flats spots and other idiosyncracies for recording! I think an ebony unlined board on yours would look pretty damn fine?
Cheers
Chris

[quote name='Beedster' post='510131' date='Jun 10 2009, 01:18 PM']Thanks for the reply Steve. The problem I'd have with a defret is the inlays, although obviously if the neck were varnished there'd be no tonal difference, but they would confuse the hell out of me visually (as would dots between the frets on the binding but that can be dealt with). Also, I've played a lot of fretless basses recently and without doubt the board on which I played best was one with dot markers on the binding AND dots running under the G-string on the board itself, which gave the apearance of an unlined board whilst allowing me to get the angles right if you know what I mean (my intonation on D and G can go badly off if, for example, I'm playing on a small stage and have to hoist the headstock up a bit to avoid taking out punters). In short I'd want those dots put in. The Fender idea is good but the Sadowsky build and natural tone is, let's face it, way ahead. The only Fender I've found that I love is my '73 and I'm not cutting holes in that, in fact, it'll remain my number one for gigging, it's just got too many dead spots, flats spots and other idiosyncracies for recording! I think an ebony unlined board on yours would look pretty damn fine?
Cheers
Chris[/quote]

Makes Sense Chris!

Another option would be to get Roger to make you just a fretless neck and stick it on the UV70 perhaps. I guess he could do something like that as a special order and would be cheaper than a whole bass!!

Anyway, if you do want my UV70 I would be happy to hold it for you as you are a regular.

Maybe best to hear some other opinions before deciding anyway :-)

To anyone else who wants to contribute don't worry about offending me as I am not too sure I want to sell really anyway so I have no real interest as to whether Chris buys my bass or not so tell him what you think is best for him....

Steve

Steve

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='birdy' post='510161' date='Jun 10 2009, 01:51 PM']Makes Sense Chris!

Another option would be to get Roger to make you just a fretless neck and stick it on the UV70 perhaps. I guess he could do something like that as a special order and would be cheaper than a whole bass!!

Anyway, if you do want my UV70 I would be happy to hold it for you as you are a regular.

Maybe best to hear some other opinions before deciding anyway :-)

To anyone else who wants to contribute don't worry about offending me as I am not too sure I want to sell really anyway so I have no real interest as to whether Chris buys my bass or not so tell him what you think is best for him....

Steve

Steve[/quote]

Cheers Steve
Looks like the temporary (altough potentially permanent) solution is the Warmoth body (rear routed for a pre-amp whilst allowing a traditional control plate), and Sadowsky pre & VTC/Nordstrands I've just bought from Higgie. I'm hoping that my '73 neck will go on this combination, then I can A-B this against the same neck on the '73 Fender body/J-Retro I'm currently playing and see which works best. If the fomer I think I'll eventualy go the NYC custom fretless route
C

[quote name='Toasted' post='532669' date='Jul 4 2009, 10:22 PM']Personally, I'd get an NYC.[/quote]

Take your point Joe and that's probably where I'll go. However, it's been interesting moving from my PJ to the UV70 in that, despite the fact they both have unbelievably tight pockets, the PJ sustained for hours whilst the UV70 doesn't (not a problem for me on fretted but a significant one on fretless). OK, it sure ain't bad and still beats plenty of other equally expensive basses, but it's made me wonder whether the expense of getting an NYC build is worth it. I'll see how the Fender/Warmoth/Sadowsky hybrid goes before making the decision. Another problem I have is that I LOVE the Fender neck and I doubt even Roger could make one that feels as good, or at least, not at a price I could afford :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='532654' date='Jul 4 2009, 09:49 PM']Cheers Steve
Looks like the temporary (altough potentially permanent) solution is the Warmoth body (rear routed for a pre-amp whilst allowing a traditional control plate), and Sadowsky pre & VTC/Nordstrands I've just bought from Higgie. I'm hoping that my '73 neck will go on this combination, then I can A-B this against the same neck on the '73 Fender body/J-Retro I'm currently playing and see which works best. If the fomer I think I'll eventualy go the NYC custom fretless route
C[/quote]

Higgie, how could you!?

Would love to see pictures when you get it done and hear your thoughts on the VTC. I've got an ACG on my Warmoth and the jury is still out, to be honest. Sorely temted by the VTC, although my body isn't rear routed. Is there enough room under the control plate to fit one?

[quote name='Beedster' post='533254' date='Jul 5 2009, 07:53 PM']Take your point Joe and that's probably where I'll go. However, it's been interesting moving from my PJ to the UV70 in that, despite the fact they both have unbelievably tight pockets, the PJ sustained for hours whilst the UV70 doesn't (not a problem for me on fretted but a significant one on fretless). OK, it sure ain't bad and still beats plenty of other equally expensive basses, but it's made me wonder whether the expense of getting an NYC build is worth it. I'll see how the Fender/Warmoth/Sadowsky hybrid goes before making the decision. Another problem I have is that I LOVE the Fender neck and I doubt even Roger could make one that feels as good, or at least, not at a price I could afford :)[/quote]

I know what you're saying, and of course all basses are different. -BUT- I look at all the EXTRA that you get with an NYC over a Metro - and once you're spending £1600 on a Metro, it doesn't seem to me to be that big of a step to £2400 for an NYC. YMMV!

[quote]and once you're spending £1600 on a Metro, it doesn't seem to me to be that big of a step to £2400 for an NYC[/quote]

Gotta agree. If you are 'comfortably' spending 1600 on a bass, then it seems feasible to stretch for the 2400 one, particularly if it's going to get you something you consider or know to be better.

Not saying one should always do that, but there's not too much between the two, the difference is only the cost of an average off the shelf bass.

Mark

• 1 year later...

[quote name='Beedster' post='533254' date='Jul 5 2009, 07:53 PM']Take your point Joe and that's probably where I'll go. However, it's been interesting moving from my PJ to the UV70 in that, despite the fact they both have unbelievably tight pockets, the PJ sustained for hours whilst the UV70 doesn't (not a problem for me on fretted but a significant one on fretless). OK, it sure ain't bad and still beats plenty of other equally expensive basses, but it's made me wonder whether the expense of getting an NYC build is worth it. I'll see how the Fender/Warmoth/Sadowsky hybrid goes before making the decision. Another problem I have is that I LOVE the Fender neck and I doubt even Roger could make one that feels as good, or at least, not at a price I could afford :)[/quote]

Now, how did the story end? Do you have already a sadowsky fretless? I´m very curious, because I´d like to upgrade my kind of warmoth JJ with Sad PUs + Pre w/VTC. But I´m unsure about the sound: fretted very alive and kicking. But fretless could miss the mids....

Chris, I know this thread is old, but
I would look into Sims scanning everything into a neck and body and you can finish it off with electronics if you want

All that will be missing is any kudos in a name.

He isn't too far from you... and I'll introduce you if you want and pop over there with you..etc etc ..

Edited by JTUK

I know Chris well and I can tell you how it ended. He went through a bunch more basses (many via me!) and has ended up with a vintage 1965 Precision as his workhorse, a MM Stingray HH for his functions band, and he uses his Yamaha upright for fretless or when schlepping along his DB isn't viable. So this thread is REALLY out of date :)

[quote name='Clarky' post='1172930' date='Mar 23 2011, 08:48 AM']I know Chris well and I can tell you how it ended. He went through a bunch more basses (many via me!) and has ended up with a vintage 1965 Precision as his workhorse, a MM Stingray HH for his functions band, and he uses his Yamaha upright for fretless or when schlepping along his DB isn't viable. So this thread is REALLY out of date :)[/quote]

ha ha I met him last month and I'll bet that even what he had then has changed muchly..

Bag Ends, anyone..?? :)

My suggestion is still relevant for changing goals...maybe :lol:

[quote name='zehbeh' post='1172861' date='Mar 23 2011, 06:26 AM']Now, how did the story end? Do you have already a sadowsky fretless? I´m very curious, because I´d like to upgrade my kind of warmoth JJ with Sad PUs + Pre w/VTC. But I´m unsure about the sound: fretted very alive and kicking. But fretless could miss the mids....[/quote]

[quote name='JTUK' post='1172918' date='Mar 23 2011, 08:36 AM']Chris, I know this thread is old, but
I would look into Sims scanning everything into a neck and body and you can finish it off with electronics if you want

All that will be missing is any kudos in a name.

He isn't too far from you... and I'll introduce you if you want and pop over there with you..etc etc ..[/quote]

[quote name='Clarky' post='1172930' date='Mar 23 2011, 08:48 AM']I know Chris well and I can tell you how it ended. He went through a bunch more basses (many via me!) and has ended up with a vintage 1965 Precision as his workhorse, a MM Stingray HH for his functions band, and he uses his Yamaha upright for fretless or when schlepping along his DB isn't viable. So this thread is REALLY out of date :)[/quote]

LOL, gotta laugh haven't you :)

Clarky's bang on the money there, as is JT re Simms (I know Martin's work well as he's done a few basses for me last time I was down there he was doing just what you suggested JT, replicating a '62 neck for a certain well known bassist....). The way it ended with the fretless was that I slowly fell out of love with the Sadowsky tone, and I have to say, Sadowsky necks, so I stuck with my old Fender fretless Jazz until I managed to separate Shaggy and his wonderful fretless Precision which is now shacked up very happily with Clarky. And funnily enough, as Clarky also suggested, I can get most of the fretless tones I need from my Yamaha EUB, which I prefer to a fretless bass anyway.

Not much help really was I Zenbeh!

C

Edited by Beedster

[quote name='Beedster' post='1173100' date='Mar 23 2011, 11:23 AM']LOL, gotta laugh haven't you :)

Clarky's bang on the money there, as is JT re Simms (I know Martin's work well as he's done a few basses for me last time I was down there he was doing just what you suggested JT, replicating a '62 neck for a certain well known bassist....). The way it ended with the fretless was that I slowly fell out of love with the Sadowsky tone, and I have to say, Sadowsky necks, so I stuck with my old Fender fretless Jazz until I managed to separate Shaggy and his wonderful fretless Precision which is now shacked up very happily with Clarky. And funnily enough, as Clarky also suggested, I can get most of the fretless tones I need from my Yamaha EUB, which I prefer to a fretless bass anyway.

Not much help really was I Zenbeh!

C[/quote]

ha ha... He likes THAT story. I saw the body to that as well... including thumb dig-in points .. :lol:

But he now has a greeting lounge with a a nice Glock in the corner. I am just trying to invent a reason to pop over :)

P.S Kent Beer Festival...you a fan..??

[quote name='JTUK' post='1173107' date='Mar 23 2011, 11:30 AM']ha ha... He likes THAT story. I saw the body to that as well... including thumb dig-in points .. :lol:

But he now has a greeting lounge with a a nice Glock in the corner. I am just trying to invent a reason to pop over :)

P.S Kent Beer Festival...you a fan..??[/quote]

Everytime I go to Martin's place it costs me a fortune!

Well, I'm a fan of beer and I live in Kent. As they say in the US, "you do the math" :)

[quote name='Beedster' post='1173111' date='Mar 23 2011, 11:33 AM']Everytime I go to Martin's place it costs me a fortune!

Well, I'm a fan of beer and I live in Kent. As they say in the US, "you do the math" :)[/quote]

If he did amps..????? :)

maths=Nackington Lane, Fri 22 July.