Why become a member? ×

badass & gotoh

6h5g

After some research into replacement bridges, badass and gotoh seem to be popular options. Clearly the badass bridge is more expensive than the gotoh - is the badass better for improving the tone of the bass? Thanks

Oh, the sound of a can of worms opening...

Seriously though, either of these are an increase in mass and/or bridge to body contact, which is beneficial or not depending on who you ask.

I presume you're attaching this to a Fender type bass. Between the two of them, the Badass is the "established" name, and it has "BADASS" stamped on it, but you have to file the saddles if you get plain ones, and in some cases because of the thicker baseplate you might need to shim your neck in order to get your action as low as you like. The Gotoh has pre-notched saddles, but I haven't used one so I can't comment about its bulk. Wouldn't mind a shot of one though.

[quote name='6h5g' post='509509' date='Jun 9 2009, 08:34 PM']After some research into replacement bridges, badass and gotoh seem to be popular options. Clearly the badass bridge is more expensive than the gotoh - is the badass better for improving the tone of the bass? Thanks[/quote]

I've used both. The Gotoh is really nice, big improvement over the stock Fender Bridge, and a fraction of the price of the Badass. The Badass is great too, but I'm not sure its worth paying the extra.

And you don't have to file the string slots on the Gotoh.

I stuck a Gotoh 201 on my Squire VMJ fretless, and while it didn't alter the tone a great deal (a little more zing maybe) it did bring the sustain out a treat, the damn thing goes on forever (holds unplugged bass up to ear....).

I have a badass 2 on the Geddy Lee but as it's a standard fitting, I can't comment on the effectiveness, but that bass sustains like a b*stard, and has tone to spare.

The Badass is a much heavier beast that the Gotoh, which has a hollow back, but both are infinitely better than the bent piece of tin that comes as standard.

Obviously the Gotoh is at least half the price of a Badass.

• 2 weeks later...

I've upgraded two cheapo basses, one with a pre-grooved Badass 2, and the other with a Gotoh 201. I wouldn't say I can pick out a huge difference between the two bridges in terms of sound improvement, but they both made a big difference to the tone of each bass.

I'd maybe say the Gotoh is a better shout for you as it's cheaper, and (if it's for the bass in your avatar) will retain the 'look' of the bass, whereas the Badass is freakin' huge!