Why become a member? ×

1964 Fender Jazz

slobluesine

[quote name='slobluesine' post='719267' date='Jan 20 2010, 05:06 PM']Best year bar none IMO[/quote]

Lot of folks have said that (and prices seem to reflect it as well, 63s and 64s often seem to go very high). Is it an urban myth or is there a factual basis?

[quote name='The Bass Doc' post='719334' date='Jan 20 2010, 05:48 PM']Myth most likely. I reckon as many people like the earlier slab fingerboard jobies. Mind you, Leo never changed anything just for the hell of it so maybe radiused fingerboards attract a premium to some folks.[/quote]

The slab board necks were more susceptible to humidity and therefore the thinner veneer made for a more stable neck.

Apparently :)

Yep, Leo told me that himself. Early slab boards had sufficient thickness of rosewood that as the two woods continued to move over time they 'interferred' with each other by moving at different rates and quite often slight warpage and twisting was detectable (fortunately not enough to affect playability in many cases).

The later radiused boards were obviously thinner overall and allowed the maple (usually more stable anyway) to not be affected in the same way.

[quote name='Stacker' post='719911' date='Jan 21 2010, 10:52 AM']There's another thing non-orig about that bass and that's the finger rest. How do I know? Cos I used to own it and the 'rest was lost at home at time of sale. I wish I had never sold you that bass.[/quote]

hey stacker you still owe me £60, thats what an original rest cost me :) where did you buy the Bass from btw?

[quote name='slobluesine' post='720454' date='Jan 21 2010, 07:50 PM']hey stacker you still owe me £60, thats what an original rest cost me :) where did you buy the Bass from btw?[/quote]

You wanted more than £60 for me to find that 'rest or a NOS one but that's in the past, now.

Yes, the bass came via Gbase from a company called SolidBodyGuitar. AFAICR, the refin was professionally done and although the neck dates '64 and pots '63 it is possibe that this bass would have the '65 onwards logo and that is what was requested from Fender; why would they do otherwise? Beautiful!