Why become a member? ×

Overwater?

thepurpleblob

This caught my eye....

[url="http://www.absolutemusic.co.uk/shop/view_product.php?product=bst2usoverwaterevo2dlx"]Absolute Music[/url]

It's certainly very pretty (IMO) but is that a good deal? Is the Evolution a good bass... most people I have known speak very highly of them.

Edited by thepurpleblob

There's no way their rrp would be a realistic price for a 2nd hand Evolution that's the new price (and there's recently been a price hike methinks) so is misleading.

I'd say a little pricey but not outrageous.

Peter

Edited by GreeneKing

[quote name='GreeneKing' post='507658' date='Jun 7 2009, 07:00 PM']There's no way their rrp would be a realistic price for a 2nd hand Evolution that's the new price (and there's recently been a price hike methinks) so is misleading.

I'd say a little pricey but not outrageous.

Peter[/quote]

So..... £950 - £995 and I could sleep at night? Overwater only lists the Evolution is "enquire for prices" unfortunately.

Further to the PM I recently sent I just looked at the Overwater site and there is an Evolution shown there under the recently sold basses - EVO00001, The price they show on the site for that one is £1395. It doesn't have the matching headstock so that would up the price somewhat, but Absolute's price seems a bit high.

The evolution on the site they sold recently was a second hand one... so go by that as a second hand price... also the one they sold was a special build, made to take a High C, not a Low B, so also has a limited resale market.

If you enquire about Evolution prices, it pretty much mirrors the Perception price list... I know, they are making me one at the mo.

I'd say the price isn't too bad for the bass, considering its using a fairly rare bit of wood, with a real nice finish!

I was going to suggest the OP contacted you if you didn't see the thread (though I expected you would) - and I thought that price looked a bit low on the site. My PM suggested that Perception and Evolution weren't too far apart in prices so it's nice to know I wasn't too far out :)

Coolio! The differences between the Evolution and the Perception are obvious, but build quality and difficulty seem to be the same, and exactly the same materials get used... hence the similar price points.

I enquired myself about the one they recently sold as the price seemed great... but there were the previously stated reasons for that.

I actually looked at the Bass in question here as well before going ahead with my own spec and I thin it's priced 'about' right. But I figure, if your going to spend that amount of money... you may as well spend an extra few quid and have it exactly how YOU want it to look and sound! The one on Absolute, is priced at about 55-60% of what the new one would cost... I think thats reasonable, and no long wait!

EDIT - Just noticed, when I was looking at it 2 months back I'm sure it was up at £1495.00, so only recently been reduced!

Edited by pantherairsoft

[quote name='bythesea' post='507676' date='Jun 7 2009, 07:23 PM']Further to the PM I recently sent I just looked at the Overwater site and there is an Evolution shown there under the recently sold basses - EVO00001, The price they show on the site for that one is £1395. It doesn't have the matching headstock so that would up the price somewhat, but Absolute's price seems a bit high.[/quote]

Hello,

The Evolution in 'recently sold' was originally very much a custom build; with a narrow string spacing and 33" scale - built several years ago and would have been well over £2k at the time, but yes with a narrow re-sale market; hence the price...

The one with the dealer looks in pretty good condition - though a few years old, as it looks as if it has the old style bridge saddles and will also have the earlier circuit.

Chris

[quote name='overwater' post='508333' date='Jun 8 2009, 05:01 PM']Hello,

The Evolution in 'recently sold' was originally very much a custom build; with a narrow string spacing and 33" scale - built several years ago and would have been well over £2k at the time, but yes with a narrow re-sale market; hence the price...

The one with the dealer looks in pretty good condition - though a few years old, as it looks as if it has the old style bridge saddles and will also have the earlier circuit.

Chris[/quote]

Aha... I'm assuming here that you are THE Chris who knows about these things :) In which case, cheers for the info.

It caught my eye as well, as they have it in their Ebay listings.
I'm quite sure it'll be a corker, as we had one of these in the shop a couple of years back. Not the same one.. one great thing about spalted beech if you like that sort of thing, which I do(!), is that each one is unique!
The intonation set looks a bit iffy.. pretty sure it's this bass [url="http://www.overwaterbasses.com/evolution-series-gallery.htm"]http://www.overwaterbasses.com/evolution-series-gallery.htm[/url] but Overwater set it up properly :rolleyes: .... see if they'll take an offer? :)

[quote name='hubrad' post='508485' date='Jun 8 2009, 07:52 PM']It caught my eye as well, as they have it in their Ebay listings.
I'm quite sure it'll be a corker, as we had one of these in the shop a couple of years back. Not the same one.. one great thing about spalted beech if you like that sort of thing, which I do(!), is that each one is unique!
The intonation set looks a bit iffy.. pretty sure it's this bass [url="http://www.overwaterbasses.com/evolution-series-gallery.htm"]http://www.overwaterbasses.com/evolution-series-gallery.htm[/url] but Overwater set it up properly :lol: .... see if they'll take an offer? :rolleyes:[/quote]

Yes, I noticed that too :)

Sorry holding on to that one - it's as light as a feather and will do me when my back packs in completely and cant manage me 81 overwater original

I have been v lucky with my basses - from the list below

Warwick dolphin NT £999 NEW with full flight case from when sound control was going tits up!

1979 WAL Pro1 £600 with original case also Sound control (this was only about 18months ago) they had had it 6 months with no takers and were fed up looking at it!

Status t-bass mint with tags apart fron one score on the scratch plate £250!!! S/H music store!!

I no longer have my ultimate bargain - wait for it - A Steinberger XL2 bass which cost me £250 from a legit music store in East Kilbride - Guy said he had never heard of them but didnt say where he got it and believe it or not i let it go years later for the same money!!!!!

BB

• 1 month later...

In the end I Guitar Guitar stitched me up with a new one for (I think) a very good price. I still think this one is very pretty but it might be a bit camp for playing in pubs and clubs as I do. My new rosewood topped one is a bit more sedate :)

If this is as tidy as it looks it has to be a good deal though. Nothing seems to be selling at the moment though.