Why become a member? ×

who plays guitar and was there a transition to bass?

john_the_bass

started out on guitar and tbh was gassing for a bass ever since i got a guitar really, more to do with having a band then wanting to play myself tho. However it wasn't until more than 6 months later that i got a £65 bass from thomann (i highly recomend harley benton to anyone who wants a starter instrument btw) played bass in one band, then set up a band where i was the guitarrist and another guy was the bassist/vocalist. He then decided (being highly egotistical and lazy and usless at doing 2 things at once) that he should just be the singer, forcing me to play the bass instead.

I'm one of the freaks who actually [i]chose[/i] to play bass.... :) ....although I gave it up in my teens, in favour of guitar (sorry) and have only been playing again for 2/3 years and loving it. Own an electro acoustic and a couple of electrics and try to play whenever I get the chance. Did some acoustic singsong stuff at a party the other night which was fun. Playing bass with a good drummer wins hands down though!

Edited by stingrayfan

[quote name='ARGH' post='53507' date='Aug 31 2007, 05:28 PM']NEVER PLAYED GUITAR
NEVER WANTED A GUITAR
NEVER FELT LOVE FOR GUITAR

Bassist from getgo.......with the 9[/quote]

+1

My cousin used to play guitar and I was put off straight away because he always seemed to be breaking strings - way too much hassle!

When I got into music in a big way, I found I was always following the basslines more than anything else, so the bass was my natural choice.

I used to play saxophone, then clarinet at school, but as I never owned either of these instruments, these don't really count. Learned to read music too, but forgotten it now - just play by ear.

I started at age 12 with classical guitar and claasical percussion lessons at school. Did all teh grades up to 8 in both.

But obviously electric guitar and the drums were alot cooler, so I played both for years. I suppose my 1st proper semi pro jobs were all as a drummer, and then guitarist in a function band for a few years.

Stil play guitar in a Latin guitar duo.

Had a bass around for years, but about 4 years ago finally did it properly. It is a combination of all my expreience as guitarist and drummer, and is the one I prefer by far.

With regard to the question of the transition between the two, teh hardest thing I found wasbeing disciplined and not too busy. The bassist needs to be solid and tidy, and cannot generally get away with widdling around, as we all know. That, and the other thing was to have the right good gear. I had/have decent guitar gear, but thebass is harder to get to sound "right" in all venues, as low frequencies are more unpredictable. At least with good industry standard gear, you know you have the tools to do the best job possible. which is why my SR5 is always with me.

C

Was always primarily a singer and started on guitar to back it up. I bought a cheap bass (in avatar pic) second hand to tinker with but didn't really do that much with it. Joined another band and converted as we couldn't get a bass player.

After giving up music altogether for a few years I got back into it again this year. I just wanted to play bass again so I joined a band using old Beryl over there and later part ex'd my old Fender Telecaster towards a new Fender Jazz. Upgrade plans are ready for when we've done a good few gigs.

[quote name='nottswarwick' post='54117' date='Sep 2 2007, 11:15 AM']With regard to the question of the transition between the two, teh hardest thing I found wasbeing disciplined and not too busy. The bassist needs to be solid and tidy, and cannot generally get away with widdling around, as we all know. C[/quote]
Very similar to you NottsWarwick. Played guitar from about 13 and had a pretty good semi-pro career until my mid 20's. Marriage and kids saw that off. Had a massive sabatical, (25 years), and when I found the only guitar I had kept, (a Fender Jumbo), in the loft 1 day I started fiddling. Not having a pick to hand I started playing finger style and really got into Spanish and Clasical music. A letter to Guitar Magazine about a series on fingerstyle technique saw me get a free Bass, (the comment Am I really a frustrated Bass Player did it). That started Bass playing in earnest.
I totally agree with NottsWarwick that the hardest part of the transition was "keeping it simple". I really struggled at first trying to play "lead" lines on Bass. Best piece of advice I got was "Whatever notes you are thinking of playing, halve them". If you cannot keep time and groove with the drummer, the band is f*!"ed.
Would I go back to guitar, NOT A CHANCE. I've got the best job in the house.
Stuart

Started guitar at 15, picked up bass at 17 and it remained my main instrument ever since. I'm playing more guitar these days, though, trying to get the hang of all the stuff that the really good acoustic guys do, where you have the bass line, melody and harmony all playing at once. Frankly I've been working on this for a couple of years now and it's still doing my head in, but it's laudably difficult...

Ah yea all the Marshall gear....

Well had the footswitch on my mates Framus been working properly I would have been using that to deafen half of Cumbria. Not my band I am playing in in that pic - but yes they do like their marshall gear. It all sounds good together though! And the VBA400 is a MONSTER!!!

Started as vocalist in a band at school, halfway through first song they told me to shut up... as there were already loads of guitarists I picked up bass and not looked back since. I started learning guitar about 5 years after I picked up bass as I was sick of the guitarist refering to chords and I hadn't a clue what notes they consisted of.