Why become a member? ×

Chunkier necked Jazzes

Clarky

Hi, reading the thread about the Fender Classic Series Jazzes has prompted me to ask whether there are any Fender Jazz models or years that routinely come with a chunkier neck profile?

I recently sold a 2009 US Jazz* as the neck was just too small for my hands to feel comfortable playing (I am a Precision player normally) - however if there is a chunkier necked Jazz model/year this might solve the problem I had (I know the nut width is likely to be identical/similar on all but the profile presumably could differ reasonably significantly)

* NB, I bought it as I wanted to have greater flexibility in sounds than the straight 'P' sound

Edited by Clarky

[quote name='Clarky' post='503798' date='Jun 2 2009, 02:02 PM']Hi, reading the thread about the Fender Classic Series Jazzes has prompted me to ask whether there are any Fender Jazz models or years that routinely come with a chunkier neck profile?

I recently sold a 2009 US Jazz* as the neck was just too small for my hands to feel comfortable playing (I am a Precision player normally) - however if there is a chunkier necked Jazz model/year this might solve the problem I had (I know the nut width is likely to be identical/similar on all but the profile presumably could differ reasonably significantly)

* NB, I bought it as I wanted to have greater flexibility in sounds than the straight 'P' sound[/quote]

The neck on the Reggie Hamilton Jazz (MIM) I had was chunkier than the other Jazzes I've owned. However they have a P/J pickup layout and can't do the Jazz sound with both pickups on full if that's the sound you're looking for from a Jazz.

[quote name='RayFW' post='503818' date='Jun 2 2009, 02:22 PM']The neck on the Reggie Hamilton Jazz (MIM) I had was chunkier than the other Jazzes I've owned. However they have a P/J pickup layout and can't do the Jazz sound with both pickups on full if that's the sound you're looking for from a Jazz.[/quote]
Thanks - I heard that that model actually had a Precision neck but I might be wrong about that

[quote name='Clarky' post='503820' date='Jun 2 2009, 02:24 PM']Thanks - I heard that that model actually had a Precision neck but I might be wrong about that[/quote]
I'm fairly sure the nut width was the same as a Jazz (1.5"). It was definitely thinner than the 08 P I had .

[quote name='RayFW' post='503825' date='Jun 2 2009, 02:28 PM']I'm fairly sure the nut width was the same as a Jazz (1.5"). It was definitely thinner than the 08 P I had .[/quote]
You are bang on - just checked the specs. However I was really after a 'normal' passive Jazz pickup arrangement. Thanks though Ray

[quote name='Raggy' post='503833' date='Jun 2 2009, 02:35 PM']I would definitely take a look the Classic Series Jazz's mate.[/quote]
thanks - will do. To earlier poster, don't think I can stretch to a Sadowsky right now! Nice thought though :)

[quote name='jonthebass' post='503845' date='Jun 2 2009, 02:45 PM']I was thinking of just a neck swap on a Jazz bass :) :rolleyes: :lol:

Just imagine a CIJ Jazz body with a CIJ '70 RI P neck.... GAS attack!!![/quote]
Now that does sound good ... but I can't think a CIJ70RI neck would be too easy to come by (unless I spent another £450!!!!)

Edited by Clarky

How about one of these on the 'bay... :)

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mighty-Mite-Rose-Neck-for-Fender-Precision-Bass-MM2906_W0QQitemZ330333973558QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Musical_Instruments_Guitars_CV?hash=item4ce9706c36&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1121%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mighty-Mite-Rose-Nec...%3A1%7C294%3A50[/url]

I've got a Windmill Jazz for sale on the bay.
Width at the nut 39mm.
Width at the 22 fret 64mm.
Depth of neck including the fret at the nut is 22mm.

It feels a little fatter than a standard Jazz.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110396075125"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...em=110396075125[/url]

Pm if you want to try it.

Thanks

[quote name='Clarky' post='503798' date='Jun 2 2009, 02:02 PM']Hi, reading the thread about the Fender Classic Series Jazzes has prompted me to ask whether there are any Fender Jazz models or years that routinely come with a chunkier neck profile?

* NB, I bought it as I wanted to have greater flexibility in sounds than the straight 'P' sound[/quote]

Try out the mexican 70`s jazz. Tried one last week before I bought a mexican 60`s jazz (which looks geat in olympic white and sounds great) and the neck was well chunky. More like a G&L neck. Not wide but just a large handful. The sales guy even mentioned it before pulling it off the wall.
But beware as other people on here have tried them and find the neck to be okay so it sounds like Fender`s usual policy of "variety is the spice of life" manufacturing.

It didn`t suit me but was a fine sounding bass. Looked good in black but was spoiled, imo, by the white binding on the neck.

Jez