Why become a member? ×

Such a thing as a lightweight combo as loud as my current setup?

Delberthot

After last night's gig, I'm getting increasing fed up with the amount of cables and tangling thereof so am contemplating getting myself a good, lightweight combo.

I use a Shuttle 6.0 into a Schroeder 1212L as both a monitor for one band and to provide my out front sound with another.

Is there such a thing as a lightweight combo that could replace my current setup or should I be looking for a combo to use as a monitor with a cab added for the bigger gigs with no PA support?

Edited by Delberthot

The cabling can't be what's bothering you as you'd only save yourself a grand total of '1' speaker cable by getting a combo and if you start adding an extension cab to the combo then you negate the whole saving of that 1 cable! :)

There are plenty loud and light combos but tbh the smallest and lightest of them would need an extension cab, so you then have bigger and heavier loads in order to match your current set-up.

Hence IMHO, I'd stick with what you have rather than moving to a combo.

I have the Markbass Jeff Berlin combo which basically comprises the Little Mark II 500W head through a neodymium 1x15 speaker. Its damn loud! Only downside is its solid state and - while it gets a warm sound by playing around with the filters - it doesn't get gritty. If the latter doesn't matter to you then I would recommend this option (as it happens I use a Sansamp VT Bass pedal through the combo if I need to get some gritty distortion going). Its 8 ohm too so you can add an extension cab (although I have never played anywhere that was so massive that the combo wasn't up to it).