Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Are parts basses a stupid idea?

boabskiboab

I have been contemplating a parts bass for a month or two now.

Now i know i could get some seriously cheap parts off ebay, but that seems pointless.

Looking at companies like WD/warmoth it will be quite expensive to buy all of the parts.

Now i am assuming that parts basses have next to no resale value, am i wiser to buy a MIM and mod it.

Any opinions welcome.

I've experienced quite a few MIM basses that guys have gradually modded - usual upgrades are pickups, bridge and machine heads - work out that cost then compare it to choosing your own neck and body combination plus such hardware.

Either way you're never going to get back what you spend so if you go ahead try and envisage it as a keeper.

Depends on the parts, if you buy all the parts second hand, then you stand the same chance of losing out as if you bought a second hand bass. Plus you can mix and match for your next project. Pretty much all my Basses are bitsas to some extent, might just about be able to cover the cost if I sold them on, but certainly could cover it selling off the parts, just lose out on the tinkering time, and the cost of routing. Can't put a price on learning though.

Kind of depends on how well you know what you want with regards to hardware, I did mine to learn how all the different parts sounded. I did find you can work round a dodgy neck joint fit by using the metal inserts and machine screws method to attach it.

Decide if you like P basses of Jazz basses, since those are the ones bits to fit are easiest to find, means you can keep moving the parts onto the next bass.

[quote name='stevie' post='502208' date='May 31 2009, 12:30 PM']How would you sum up what you learned from doing this?[/quote]

I like through stringing and Dimarzio and SD 1/4 pounders. I prefer bolt on necks. Stock pickups totally suck and even fairly cheap aftermarkets can make a lot of difference. It's pretty much a make your own choices though. I like big agressive full range sounds with tons of bottom. Oh, and everything else is dependant on the sound coming from your strings, the bass has to sound right unamplified before you can do anything else with it.

Parts basses allow you to get what you want in a bass if you can't get it in a production model.

Although, I'd point out that the reason why companies like Warmouth charge more for parts is because items like the necks are of good quality, come to think of it, I can't think I've heard a bad word out any Warmouth necks.

If you can't find what you want in a production bass then building your own from parts is going to be cheaper than going for the full custom build option.

I played 50 odd basses before coming to the conclusion that my bass didn't exist and didn't want to go down the coffee table bass route so specced exactly everything that i liked about the basses I had previously and had it made.

Warmoth parts are very high quality and the finishes are superb, better than any production bass I have owned. The necks are chunky due to being over engineered to be as stable as possible but still very playable.

There's something very rewarding about putting together your own bass. Its going to be worth hee haw if you ever go to sell it so you have to make sure it is exactly what you want. Unfortunately, you don't get as much for your money at present as you were a couple of years ago. I think I built my Warmoth using gold Schaller parts and an SD quarter pounder for about £600 which is second hand US Fender money. The same spec would probably be around £800+ with the current exchange rate.

Edited by Delberthot

Parts basses are great if you know what you like & know what you are looking for with regards to each part. If you like MIM basses, getting one & modding it is great too. This also allows you to work out what you don't like about it & modify at your leisure. There is no point in getting a special nut if the original is to your tastes!

This was my first parts bass[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=49761&hl=warmoth+SG"]Warmoth SG[/url], can't say a bad word about warmoth. The only reasons for building a bass is if standard one can't deliver what you want and the fact that it's a lot of fun. There is something magical about playing a bass that you built/ put together yourself. Go for it but don't do it to save money.