Why become a member? ×

lookin to start playin 6 string, any recommendations?

Kev

i feel like broadening my bass playing, so im lookin for a 6 string bass

can anyone recommend me a bass around the £250 or less price mark? im after something that is cheap but not rubbish!

i dont know much about them at all so help me people

I've got one, had it for 'bout a year, very good construction. Great playability, OK sounds. I think it would sound miles better with a preamp and/or pickup upgrade. I've de-fretted mine since buying my 7 string. Still gets plenty of "play time"
At that price its a steal, I paid 300, and that was a bargain considering the build quality. (they are made in Cort's Korean factory alongside my Conklin GT7 and £500 Ibanez, among others)

[quote name='d-basser' post='53950' date='Sep 1 2007, 06:44 PM']Peavey grind NTB 6, rrp £380ish but you can get em off thomann, free postage, for £264.52!

[url="http://www.thomann.de/gb/peavey_grind_bass_ntb6.htm"]Grind 6er[/url][/quote]
that looks real nice, any players out there?

Ace Pro ABT-406 (check out www.ace-distribution.co.uk) - I went to the Birmingham based UK importers & played all the Ace-Pro's & was rather impressed... Look at this 6-stringer... 3 band active eq, through neck & lovely feel & sound. All for under £200 as well! Make sure you pay them a visit, though. Standard of finish can be a bit hit and miss, but definitely worth a look!

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='54031' date='Sep 1 2007, 10:26 PM']Ace Pro ABT-406 (check out www.ace-distribution.co.uk) - I went to the Birmingham based UK importers & played all the Ace-Pro's & was rather impressed... Look at this 6-stringer... 3 band active eq, through neck & lovely feel & sound. All for under £200 as well! Make sure you pay them a visit, though. Standard of finish can be a bit hit and miss, but definitely worth a look![/quote]
ye i talked bout them a while ago, talked myself out of it due to negative reviews

same goes for the peavey grind, terrible reviews of poor finishing on harmony etc

the hohner still seems to be top of the list at the mo, keep suggesting people

[quote name='charic' post='53543' date='Aug 31 2007, 06:52 PM']Go secondhand, thats the only advice i can give. Im after either a trb1006 or failing that a yamaha jm2 (although ive not found one of those to try :) )[/quote]

I've got an original made in Japan TRB6 for sale. It is in the basses for sale section on this site.

[quote name='BassManKev' post='54030' date='Sep 1 2007, 10:24 PM']that looks real nice, any players out there?[/quote]

tis what i play at the mo, nice bass but will need a good setup when it come, passive electronics are a little guff so it is a bit of a project bass. the only real downside for some folks is that it has a really tight string spacing, i love that cos i have small hands but some people like more room

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='54123' date='Sep 2 2007, 11:30 AM']Are you gigging? If not get a gig and worry about wasting time on extra strings later.[/quote]

i want to learn to play a 6 string, whats wrong with that? more importantly, whats that got to do with gigging :)

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='54123' date='Sep 2 2007, 11:30 AM']Are you gigging? If not get a gig and worry about wasting time on extra strings later.[/quote]

[quote name='BassManKev' post='54246' date='Sep 2 2007, 04:16 PM']i want to learn to play a 6 string, whats wrong with that? more importantly, whats that got to do with gigging :)[/quote]
I'll take that as a no then. Musicians play with other people, playing with yourself is called masturbation. I think learning how to play with other people is much more important than learning to play with extra strings.

However, these days with You Tube masturbators can reach audiences of millions and i've even heard of them getting endorsements etc.

[quote name='bass_ferret' post='54432' date='Sep 2 2007, 09:27 PM']I'll take that as a no then. Musicians play with other people, playing with yourself is called masturbation. I think learning how to play with other people is much more important than learning to play with extra strings.

However, these days with You Tube masturbators can reach audiences of millions and i've even heard of them getting endorsements etc.[/quote]

if i could find people to play with me, i would, but unfortunatly iv not found anyone in my area who is into my style of music

i still dont see why this means that i shouldnt have some fun n learn to play a 6 string

with your permission can we get back on topic and discuss budget 6 strings?

Edited by BassManKev

[quote name='d-basser' post='54130' date='Sep 2 2007, 11:39 AM']tis what i play at the mo, nice bass but will need a good setup when it come, passive electronics are a little guff so it is a bit of a project bass. the only real downside for some folks is that it has a really tight string spacing, i love that cos i have small hands but some people like more room[/quote]

I love my Peavey Grind 6! I ordered it from Thomann for a price similar to that mentioned earlier. I agree with d-basser's points above, I had to do a bit of setup work when it arrived, and I eventually replaced the pickups with EMG CS's, and as a result it sounds, plays and looks like a dream. With these modifications in place, it is unquestionably the best bass I have ever owned. Should you choose to do so, as I have, you can set it up to be a real shred machine with an incredibly low action.

Jennifer

[url="http://www.jenniferclarkbass.com"]http://www.jenniferclarkbass.com[/url]