Why become a member? ×

What happened to the Fender Jazz 24?

Kongo

I always wanted these and when they made them in 5-string as well it was a match made in heaven!
a Jazz bass...check!...5-string?...CHECK!
But what's that? 24 frets!? That ain't Fender...I must have!

They not long ago cut a few colours and added a stealth black...All black, no scratchplate (I'd add later) and black matching headstock...
You could buy them last year and early this year I think but now everywhere says they've gone and even Fender have removed them from their models list.

Why did these vanish so fast?
I woulda though't a Fender Jazz with 24 frets would be quite welcome...Hell, the 4-string version just screams DIY Urge II Bass.
Were they built real bad and they were culeld because of that? They were Korean but so are my Ibanez's.

I can't right now but in a few months I'll be looking for one of these so if anyone can point me in the direction where they might be or if they come up on ebay I'd be thankful...It's everything I could want and more!
Hell I'd want both a 4 and 5-string...PLay some Stu Hamm at home on a Jazz would be heaven!

So...the Fender Jazz 24...a model with so much promise...dead already...:)

I managed to snag a black J24 5-string before they were discontinued. Great bass, Basslines pickups with big super-J tone and a nice wide, easy-to-play neck.

You do see them around second-hand on eBay occasionally in the UK, and there's a bunch of them on the US eBay if you don't mind the cost of importing.

I'm pretty curious about this bass too. But, frankly speaking, I'm not really surprised about the fact it's now discontinued. What Fender is all about is tradition, and a 24 fret jazz bass might have been too much for its client base. nonetheless the introduction of the Steve Bailey model is an interesting change.

[quote name='Russ' post='498337' date='May 26 2009, 10:10 PM']I managed to snag a black J24 5-string before they were discontinued. Great bass, Basslines pickups with big super-J tone and a nice wide, easy-to-play neck.

You do see them around second-hand on eBay occasionally in the UK, and there's a bunch of them on the US eBay if you don't mind the cost of importing.[/quote]

Yes indeed, I have 1/4 pounder J-pups in a Yamaha I was gonna overhaul once...VERY hot beefy sound!
I'd imagine the normal ones to be the same...But you can buy 1/4 5-stringers as well.
I never changed the P-pup and it sorta overpowers it haha!
So yeah, being pre-installed is great!

I REALLY want one of these in the stealth black...I'd make my own scratchplate (Fenders look naked without!) but the matching black headstock, the 4-over-1 config and those 24 frets make it a PERFECT Jazz bass for me...Hell, it's not a Yankee but this would be perfetc for me!
Then track down the 4-string when I have spare cash (this be for home) and have an Urge-a-like feel...and if you install a p-pup you have a hom made Urge II!

But I'm more interested in the 5-string...Good to hear they were built well though. :)
Proper good, string through body too...:rolleyes:

[quote name='biro' post='498415' date='May 27 2009, 12:15 AM']I'm pretty curious about this bass too. But, frankly speaking, I'm not really surprised about the fact it's now discontinued. What Fender is all about is tradition, and a 24 fret jazz bass might have been too much for its client base. nonetheless the introduction of the Steve Bailey model is an interesting change.[/quote]

Yes, the 6-string behemoth!
Thing is, Fender never have known WHAT to do since Leo sold it...still to this day...And so one month they want modern, to attract the current Gen that are buying Ibanez and Yamaha and many other brands that offer some options other than colour...
Then they say, screw this, we are about tradition!!!
LOL! It's a shame...After I buy my head I think I really should look for one...Not too keen on the Tobacco Burst or Cherry Burst...It's the Stealth Black for me. :lol:

Edited by Kongo

Well, I wouldn't go so far. It is true that many things have been introduced since Leo sold Fender to CBS - just think about the singray. But it doesn't seem to me that Fender has completely lost its talent in adopting good market strategies. Simply, Fender has better succedeed in promoting a "retro image" for today's bassist. which is kind of a challenging task. to put it straight: Fender's client base is demanding a traditional bass - which may also happen to be spiked with pots, but has to look and feel as a fender bass. obviously, this is not an absolute value, and many people can easily live without it. Yet Fender's offer is addressed to players of this kind, and it's not really big deal. You just have to know which featuresa are important for you in a bass, wheter it's a fender or not.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-24-V-5-String-Bass-Guitar-NICE_W0QQitemZ380126061425QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item5881476371&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-24-...93%3A1|294%3A50[/url]

[quote name='aj5string' post='498501' date='May 27 2009, 08:39 AM'][url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-24-V-5-String-Bass-Guitar-NICE_W0QQitemZ380126061425QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGuitar?hash=item5881476371&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A1|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A1|293%3A1|294%3A50"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Fender-Jazz-Bass-24-...93%3A1|294%3A50[/url][/quote]

Yeah I saw that last night...3 weeks too early I'm afraid!!!

[quote name='biro' post='498497' date='May 27 2009, 08:30 AM']Well, I wouldn't go so far. It is true that many things have been introduced since Leo sold Fender to CBS - just think about the singray. But it doesn't seem to me that Fender has completely lost its talent in adopting good market strategies. Simply, Fender has better succedeed in promoting a "retro image" for today's bassist. which is kind of a challenging task. to put it straight: Fender's client base is demanding a traditional bass - which may also happen to be spiked with pots, but has to look and feel as a fender bass. obviously, this is not an absolute value, and many people can easily live without it. Yet Fender's offer is addressed to players of this kind, and it's not really big deal. You just have to know which featuresa are important for you in a bass, wheter it's a fender or not.[/quote]

Well I've decided that next time I get paid after I get my Trace head I'm gonna track one of these down...it will be good fun and rewarding in the end.
I LOVE Fender basses but 24 frets is a good option if you enjoy tapping or just want the neck heel joint moved down so the 17th fret is easier to reach...just flexability options really.
But if they only made this for a short time and in short order...they are the Fender for me, Korean or not I never did care about contires...Hell I only want a USA Jazz cause of the features...MMmmmm...Maple...:)

I could well use one of these and tweak things to my liking...add a scratchplate (gonna have to make on to fit)...maybe change the pre-amp if I actually use it. A ramp...maybe even a maple fingerbaord conversion and voila! A Jazz 24 like no other. :rolleyes:

That 6-string shows that Fender can do modern age too...though for Steve Bailey I guess they'd do anything LOL!
I am going to try some 'Rays soon just I cannot afford one, hence the OLP project and THEN I'll see.

But I think I'll defo save up and track one of these down.

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='biro' post='498415' date='May 27 2009, 12:15 AM']I'm pretty curious about this bass too. But, frankly speaking, I'm not really surprised about the fact it's now discontinued. What Fender is all about is tradition, and a 24 fret jazz bass might have been too much for its client base. nonetheless the introduction of the Steve Bailey model is an interesting change.[/quote]

[quote name='Kongo' post='499035' date='May 27 2009, 05:05 PM']Yeah I saw that last night...3 weeks too early I'm afraid!!!

Well I've decided that next time I get paid after I get my Trace head I'm gonna track one of these down...it will be good fun and rewarding in the end.
I LOVE Fender basses but 24 frets is a good option if you enjoy tapping or just want the neck heel joint moved down so the 17th fret is easier to reach...just flexability options really.
But if they only made this for a short time and in short order...they are the Fender for me, Korean or not I never did care about contires...Hell I only want a USA Jazz cause of the features...MMmmmm...Maple...:)

I could well use one of these and tweak things to my liking...add a scratchplate (gonna have to make on to fit)...maybe change the pre-amp if I actually use it. A ramp...maybe even a maple fingerbaord conversion and voila! A Jazz 24 like no other. :rolleyes:

That 6-string shows that Fender can do modern age too...though for Steve Bailey I guess they'd do anything LOL!
I am going to try some 'Rays soon just I cannot afford one, hence the OLP project and THEN I'll see.

But I think I'll defo save up and track one of these down.[/quote]

Im going to be very interested to see how well that steve bailey jazz 6 sells. with the 18v onboard preamp it wont have a classic passive jazz tone and its extremely expensive for the features on offer. its up again very serious competition in its price bracket.

I remember playing one of those Jazz 24 V basses when they first came out and to be honest I didnt really like it. It just felt quite poorly made for the money and I couldnt get along with the EQ, it just didnt seem to do much. I am not sure whether this was just a one off dud (two fenders are never the same as we know) or if they were all much the same but it just felt a bit nasty.

One thing I will say though, I picked up a Squier Deluxe Jazz 5 in black for £150. It doesnt have teh 24 frets but i would seriously reccomend having a try. Mine has absoluteley amazing build quality. The neck pocket is one of the tightest and best fitting I have ever seen, the fretwork is amazing and the neck is a really pretty piece of maple, unbelievable for a cheap bass. of course some of teh parts are not too hot, but I put a badass V on it and am having a Aguilar OBP-2 installed and its just superb, perfect modding project. I have only spent £80 on the preamp and bridge so its still well under fender prices.

Anyway happy hunting.

[quote name='funkypenguin' post='500038' date='May 28 2009, 05:01 PM']Im going to be very interested to see how well that steve bailey jazz 6 sells. with the 18v onboard preamp it wont have a classic passive jazz tone and its extremely expensive for the features on offer. its up again very serious competition in its price bracket.[/quote]

I guess it's aimed at the Bassists in similar to Steve Bailey.
It's a 6-string in fretted or fretless and it's a Jazz bass...I always dreamed of a 6-string Fender that IS a bass and not a baritone guitar.
Not sure how it will sell but there are more expensive basses out there.

[quote name='leonshelley01' post='500638' date='May 29 2009, 10:04 AM']In another odd decision, the MIM Jazz V seems to have been discontinued as well, so their "entry" level fiver is now the Active Deluxe Jazz.[/quote]

Yeah that sucks...Personally I buy an active bass and then never use it so the passive option was fine to me...Plus the Tone pot smells of another output jack to me.
But now the entry level Fender Jazz V is £550!

[quote name='NJE' post='500736' date='May 29 2009, 11:50 AM']I remember playing one of those Jazz 24 V basses when they first came out and to be honest I didnt really like it. It just felt quite poorly made for the money and I couldnt get along with the EQ, it just didnt seem to do much. I am not sure whether this was just a one off dud (two fenders are never the same as we know) or if they were all much the same but it just felt a bit nasty.

One thing I will say though, I picked up a Squier Deluxe Jazz 5 in black for £150. It doesnt have teh 24 frets but i would seriously reccomend having a try. Mine has absoluteley amazing build quality. The neck pocket is one of the tightest and best fitting I have ever seen, the fretwork is amazing and the neck is a really pretty piece of maple, unbelievable for a cheap bass. of course some of teh parts are not too hot, but I put a badass V on it and am having a Aguilar OBP-2 installed and its just superb, perfect modding project. I have only spent £80 on the preamp and bridge so its still well under fender prices.

Anyway happy hunting.[/quote]

+1 on that, had already thought of that before as a decent Jazz V to use before I can the Fender.
It has an ebanol Fingerboard and no scratchplate (But a 5-string MIM would fit) and you only need to drill a hole for the slap switch on the chrome plate and there you have it, it's not naked anymore!
Also it has 4-over-1 config...don't ask why but that floats my boat more than 5 in a line...maybe it's cause I'm more vintage in looks now from my modern mashing?
And you can get it all in black...but then won't I have too many in black? The white just doesn't look so good...pah but black works with anything and I only have 1 black bass right now (My built P-bass).

I'm using a Squier Jazz V (affinity series) right now because, although A LOT cheaper than my basses I have it feels right for me...sounds good, not as good as the higher priced ones but the Squier Deluxe Jazz V...I've heard people play it and it's awesome...plus I may have use for that slap switch, I feel it will be good for tap lines where sometimes my favoured boosted mids make too boomy.

I think I will consider going for this as I have thought for some time...Gotta love the headstock config too...PROPER vintage style.
20 frets will do me for my band, I'd just love to stick to one or a couple of basses for a change and actually age them.
So yeah, I'll have a look soon into the Squier (names don't bother me) and work on it. :)

Oh BTW about the Fender 24, some folks did say they are "Hit and Miss" so maybe you found a dud?
But the later series, when the 5-string and Stealth Black came in did up the bar to consistancy.

Edited by Kongo

Good stuff definately check one out. I am actually thinking about a scratch plate on mine but going without the bell plate. i am also going to get some vintage style jazz bass knobs to replace the chrome ones and maybe even put a pickup cover over the neck pickup. Hopefully getting the aguilar put in today but i am losing the switch in favour of making it an actice passive swith as I never really had a need for it. Its also going down to 2 band because I hate stacked knobs for starters and also I loved the 2 band on my old musicman so much. Its a great bass for modding and fiddling with. I am going for a kinda Alleva Coppolo look on a budget.

Some of the chaps on talkbass have these and wipe the names off them as they are ashamed for some reason. I fly the flag high, Squier are producing fantastic instruments at the moment and many of them out perform the new fenders, certainly some of the new MIM.

I know what you mean with the 4/1 headstock too, so much prettier than the 5 in a row fenders. Hoping to pick up some secondhand hipshots to go on mine though as it is a heavy bass.

Good luck though and if you get one and add the guard and bell plate let us all know, i personally would love to see it.

[quote name='NJE' post='500881' date='May 29 2009, 01:20 PM']Good stuff definately check one out. I am actually thinking about a scratch plate on mine but going without the bell plate. i am also going to get some vintage style jazz bass knobs to replace the chrome ones and maybe even put a pickup cover over the neck pickup. Hopefully getting the aguilar put in today but i am losing the switch in favour of making it an actice passive swith as I never really had a need for it. Its also going down to 2 band because I hate stacked knobs for starters and also I loved the 2 band on my old musicman so much. Its a great bass for modding and fiddling with. I am going for a kinda Alleva Coppolo look on a budget.

Some of the chaps on talkbass have these and wipe the names off them as they are ashamed for some reason. I fly the flag high, Squier are producing fantastic instruments at the moment and many of them out perform the new fenders, certainly some of the new MIM.

I know what you mean with the 4/1 headstock too, so much prettier than the 5 in a row fenders. Hoping to pick up some secondhand hipshots to go on mine though as it is a heavy bass.

Good luck though and if you get one and add the guard and bell plate let us all know, i personally would love to see it.[/quote]

I also fly the flag high!
My first "proper" bass as it were was a Peavey Grind 6...not an expensive bass, quite cheap but better than normal cheap.
I played it live with Abyass all the time and bassists would ask me what the hell it was...the sound was in the fingers...
Even now, I can play most difficult songs and have been playing for a bout 7-8 years and currently I favour my Squier Jazz V over my Ibanez BTB's...And I'll fly the name high!

Anyways, if you scrub the name off of a Squier Deluxe Jazz V you scrub off the paint...it's matching painted headstock...What fool would do that?
I've also seen people buy the Squier VM Jazz and put a Fender transfer on it...worse be that they'd sell it as a Fender later!!! :)
People are so much on names they forget what counts...That why my project basses are always nameless, then they concentrate on what counts and not on my headstock.
But I'd keep the Squier on this even if it wasnt matching painted, there's something about the Squier name I like to fly. :rolleyes:

The 4/1 does look better...plus the headstock is normal and not elongated like the 5 in a line, giving it that classic look.

I would also put some classic Fender knobs on, or something nice, I hate knurled crome.
That active / Passive switch sounds like a G&L in the making. :lol:
I think I'll leave mine though as I wanna find a use for that switch...or maybe turn it into something else.
The only thing is, I NEVER use active EQ...never found a use for it so they'll stay flat but the cost isn't high so it's not a waste...might find a use one day though. :D

And yes, Squier are pushing hard on Fender MIM at the moment BUT...have you noticed since Squier pushed with this Fender lost their entry level Jazz V?
You have to buy the Deluxe now to get in @ £550+...So I feel maybe Squier ARE Fender MIM quality with a different badge.

Edited by Kongo

• 14 years later...
9 hours ago, Radchenko said:

Hello,

I have one. The preamp is not good enough. I have a sadowsky onboard vtc preamp. But then the switch is useless. Or there is another option with this preamp please?. Thank you.

I would respectfully disagree with this. I’ve gigged with mine and find the preamp really useful. Probably depends on the type of music you play.