Why become a member? ×

What's the most double bass sounding EUB ?

I currently have an NS CR4M. I love the thing, it means that I can play something close to a DB, and get sounds something like a DB from it.

I'm getting quite a few gigs because of it, which is great !

I'd like something a little more DB sounding though. It has to be an EUB though. I don't play DB and don't have the time to learn, or the car to fit one in.

My NS is up for trade by the way, if anyone is interested.

[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=50044&pid=497412&st=0&#entry497412"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...mp;#entry497412[/url]

I know I always say it,but check out the Clifton EUB. I've been using mine for a a few years now and it can sound
very similar to my actual upright. They also feel more like an acoustic than the NS so you may need to change your technique
slightly to compensate.
I love Mo Cliftons EUB's and wouldn't consider anything else.

[quote name='Doddy' post='497627' date='May 25 2009, 10:29 PM']I know I always say it,but check out the Clifton EUB. I've been using mine for a a few years now and it can sound
very similar to my actual upright. They also feel more like an acoustic than the NS so you may need to change your technique
slightly to compensate.
I love Mo Cliftons EUB's and wouldn't consider anything else.[/quote]

What model do you use. I was thinking of the mini EUB.

Kevin

I use the full size model as its easier for me to switch between that and the acoustic.
The mini is a great instrument too and is (I think) probably easier to play if you are not used to an
acoustic.

Paul

I bought a BSX Allegro Acoustic for exactly the reasons you cite ... to my ears it sounded closest to an upright, out of all the EUBs I tried. It has a small body but the construction includes a bass bar and soundpost, like any double bass. It's also (unfortunately) loud enough to irritate my neighbours if I play it late at night ... just to give you an idea of how acoustic it is.

They're not that easy to come by second hand in this country, but Dino is (or at least was) willing to ship to the UK.

[url="http://www.bsxbass.com/"]http://www.bsxbass.com/[/url]

Andy

I think getting lessons is the quickest way to get to the 'most DB-like' sound. I am happy with how my Ergo sounds but when my teacher plays it it sounds a lot more like a double bass.

I will profess my ignorance on Clifton EUBs but I seriously doubt that an instrument with a shorter scale length than your NS is going to take you any closer to the sound of an acoustic double bass.

[quote name='Duckyincarnate' post='497929' date='May 26 2009, 12:45 PM']I think getting lessons is the quickest way to get to the 'most DB-like' sound. I am happy with how my Ergo sounds but when my teacher plays it it sounds a lot more like a double bass.

I will profess my ignorance on Clifton EUBs but I seriously doubt that an instrument with a shorter scale length than your NS is going to take you any closer to the sound of an acoustic double bass.[/quote]

Even with lessons on Electric Upright you won't get an upright sound on a more 'electric' sounding instrument-you will,at best,(i think) sound like a big fretless.
The Clifton basses,for me,have a quality similar to an acoustic-especially the full size model,which I use. The mini doesn't sound exactly the same,
but I still think that it is a lot more upright sounding than basses like the NS.

I recall getting quite a good DB-ish tone out of a defretted Washburn acoustic AB10 by using a wad of kitchen towel wedged under the strings right by the bridge - I'd tried all sorts of different density sponge, but the kitchen towel worked better.

Another reason for wanting something like a Clifton is the size. I can and do play my 6 string bass for 7 or 8 hours a day with no problem at all. But I get cramp in my left hand (fretting hand), and a build up of cramp in my shoulder after a very short time when I play my EUB.
Hopefully something with a shorter scale and a flatter neck frofile would alleviate these problems.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='498018' date='May 26 2009, 02:40 PM']Another reason for wanting something like a Clifton is the size. I can and do play my 6 string bass for 7 or 8 hours a day with no problem at all. But I get cramp in my left hand (fretting hand), and a build up of cramp in my shoulder after a very short time when I play my EUB.
Hopefully something with a shorter scale and a flatter neck frofile would alleviate these problems.[/quote]

That sounds like even more of a reason for taking lessons. Personally, I found the first two or three lessons invaluable in getting posture and position playing right. Electric bass and EUBs are different instruments, and they require different techniques.

Just my 2 cents.

[quote name='6stringbassist' post='498047' date='May 26 2009, 03:23 PM']I had lessons on DB last year. It's mainly the pronounced U shape of the neck, I'm used to a very flat profille on my basses.[/quote]

Fair enough. Maybe a Dean Pace or something similar would be worth trying out as well, coupled with a bridge mute and 1/4 DB strings?

The most double bass sounding EUB is the one which is set up like a DB. I could not believe the difference lifting the strings up made to the sound of my NS5 EUB. There are allen screws on the back. Fabulous.

Edited by owen

[quote name='owen' post='498404' date='May 27 2009, 12:06 AM']The most double bass sounding EUB is the one which is set up like a DB. I could not believe the difference lifting the strings up made to the sound of my NS5 EUB. There are allen screws on the back. Fabulous.[/quote]

Very true, works the other way round too. A double bass with very low action and spiros amplified will sound like a fretless on steroids.
I'd also try a set of dark orchestral strings (like flexocores or belcantos) on the NS. Those instruments have so much sustain, you need a dark thumpy stringset to try to counteract that.

[quote name='chrkelly' post='499923' date='May 28 2009, 02:58 PM']Very true, works the other way round too. A double bass with very low action and spiros amplified will sound like a fretless on steroids.
I'd also try a set of dark orchestral strings (like flexocores or belcantos) on the NS. Those instruments have so much sustain, you need a dark thumpy stringset to try to counteract that.[/quote]

Personally I would say the Clifton - and I have one to sell!!! Check out the add - it's nearly ten years old but had so little use it's silly.
I'm a classical player and bought it for doing quiet practice - neck length and tone quality amazingly similar to my nearly two hundred year old acoustic. Not bad!!!
Hope it gets a good home...
A

I Love my Landscape Swing Bass it has a combination of magnetic and piezo pickups - (info was limited provided with the instrument) so you can play around and get a variety of sounds, some very similar to double bass

I had originally ordered a chinese double bass custom made to my specifications but it took so long to arrive I cancelled the order, got my deposit back and went for this one

purchased at Music Room Cleckheaton for around £750

feels much more like a real Bass than any of the others I tried beforehand - the steinburger etc awful by comparison

it comes in a lovely soft case

no stand but I find a cymbal stand base is idea for use on gigs

I'd be happy to provide more info for some great pics of a similar instrument have a loof at this:

[url="http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405943"]http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=405943[/url]