Why become a member? ×

Cab suggestions for Ampeg V4BH

Bananaman

Hi

I've got an Ampeg SVT V4BH (100 watt all tube head) which sounds awesome but I'm struggling for volume at gigs as due to recent space & transport issues (i have a new model mini!) i can only use one cab & am finding I have to push the head a bit too much. I'm using it with an [url="http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product.asp?id=8683"]Ampeg SVT 410HE[/url] (4x10) cab at the moment (8 ohms 98db sensitivity). When I first got the V4 head i was using it with an Ampeg SVT 2x10 & SVT 1x15 which sounded amazing & had more than enough volume but due to size issues I had to downsize to the 4x10. So I've now realised the 4x10 is not really ideal with the type of head i have.

So I'm considering more efficient cab options, perhaps a more efficient 4x10. I'm playing a Rickenbacker 4003 & play rock/indie stuff, want a punchy, ballsy, classic kind of sound. The 2x10 with 1x15 setup was probably my ideal sound so anything that comes close would be ideal. I realise i have to compromise and its unlikely i'll be able to replicate that sound with just one cab, but gives you an idea of what sound i'd like! And obviously volume is an issue as i don't want to push the head too hard. So i need a more sensitive cab.

Have been looking at Schroeder cabs (410L @ 4 ohms in particular) but I'm after any suggestions? I'm looking for a one cab solution really, preferably not too heavy and big. Can't go any bigger than a 4x10 size. Am I right in thinking a 4 ohms cab would get more power out of the amp, or does that not apply to valve amps?

Any advice appreciated, Thanks :)

One of the tecamp (or the older incarnation tech soundsystem) cabs would be the job. The 2x12 or 4x10 would be my choice. Not that many about at the minute though. There was a glut of them for a few weeks there.

There's also Alex's Barefaced cabs. I'd love to try one of those but I'm on the wrong side of the Irish sea...

Edited by Bigwan

Funny you should mention the Schroeder coz I have the cab but not the head ! ... Almost did a deal with Jesse for his Ampeg head but he changed his mind ... pity coz I bet they would have sounded ace together ! (+ I'd have probably saved 2k & not bought the Markbass rig but wouldn't go back now !)

410 or 212 but @ 4Ohms might do the trick ?!

Si

Many Thanks for the responses. Sounds like I should be able to make the most of the V4 but need a more efficient cab.
I like the sound of a Schroeder 21012or15. A lot of it may come down to whats available 2nd hand though as i have cash as well as space limitations!

Is that right then that a 4 ohms cab would get more out of the valve amp than a 8 ohms does? wasn't sure if it still applied to the valve heads from what i'd read somewhere else, but i'm not that understanding of technical stuff!

[quote name='Bigwan' post='497280' date='May 25 2009, 02:08 PM']There's also Alex's Barefaced cabs. I'd love to try one of those but I'm on the wrong side of the Irish sea...[/quote]

I'd expect a Compact to work well with the V4BH, it's a couple of dB more sensitive than your 4x10" (Ampeg are one of the very few that quote realistic sensitivity specs!) One of this next batch is crossing the Irish sea to the North - presumably shipping to Eire is little more expensive?

Alex

[quote name='alexclaber' post='497851' date='May 26 2009, 10:51 AM']I'd expect a Compact to work well with the V4BH, it's a couple of dB more sensitive than your 4x10" (Ampeg are one of the very few that quote realistic sensitivity specs!) One of this next batch is crossing the Irish sea to the North - presumably shipping to Eire is little more expensive?

Alex[/quote]

I'm in the North too - Where's the cab heading Alex?

Shipping to Norn Iron is typically more expensive than shipping to, say, the highlands. Shipping to Eire will probably be more expensive again...

Edited by Bigwan

[quote name='Bigwan' post='497997' date='May 26 2009, 02:12 PM']I'm in the North too - Where's the cab heading Alex?

Shipping to Norn Iron is typically more expensive than shipping to, say, the highlands. Shipping to Eire will probably be more expensive again...[/quote]

It's heading my way Ian......

Shipping to/ from N Ireland is the same cost as shipping within mainland UK. I 've posted 2 cabs to England for less than £20 insured for up to £500 and they were a little heavier than a Compact IIRC.

Go on, you know you want a Compact and we only live 40 mins apart. I'm going to have mine shipped to Bangor to the shop my daughter works in so if you like...... I can help.

Frank

EDIT. Shipping to Eire isn't as expensive as you might expect - certainly worth researching IMO.

Edited by machinehead