Why become a member? ×

Fender Jazz 1965 Sunburst

birdy

I think its hard to have a rule about that really as how do you judge 'coming up with the money'? Do you let two people race down the M6 to buy the bass and first one there get's it and disappoints the other one.

What I did here was take each PM as it came in. The first guy said he was really interested but needed 24 hours to work out if he could afford it. As I have dealt with him before I told him he had first option for twenty four hours. I didn't publicise this but told all subsequent enquiries that this was the case and then when the first guy decided he could not afford it till next month I went to the second person who said they wanted it.
If the deal should fall through then I will go back to the order of PM's to determine who I approach next which to me seems fairest.
It's a shame that you had a bad experience but I don't think there is an easy solution.

Steve

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='498140' date='May 26 2009, 05:11 PM']'tis the seller's perogative, IMO.[/quote]

Me too.

I've held basses for quite a while if I feel the buyer is genuine.

I often give someone a first offer arrangement which gives him/her 24 hours to confirm 100%. This allows someone to double check they can raise the cash etc.

One potential buyer inadvertantly wasn't able to come to me for quite a long time & when he finally got to play the bass he realised it wasn't for him. He then proceeded to insist that I take £50 for my troubles (which he really didn't have to do).

In fact I've even done 'take the bass now, with a deposit, & pay me later' deals - but I am naturally a very trusting person, especially with fellow BC'ers :)

Recently I put my precious Fender for sale...I didn't ask a lot of money so I got plenty of reactions (nearly ten in two hours). Everyone was able to pay for it and come and get it immediately.
Except for one 15-year old who wrote me that he didn't have the total amount but that he was going to pick fruit during July to be able to buy my bass and if I wanted to put it aside for him
I really admired his willingness to work for it and I gave him priority though there were other buyers. It hangs on the wall ready for him.

Sorry for the off topic :-)

[quote name='wombatboter' post='498185' date='May 26 2009, 05:56 PM'].....Except for one 15-year old who wrote me that he didn't have the total amount but that he was going to pick fruit during July to be able to buy my bass and if I wanted to put it aside for him
I really admired his willingness to work for it and I gave him priority though there were other buyers. It hangs on the wall ready for him.[/quote]
Better check the long range weather forecast :)

Edited by Platypus

So that's where I'm going wrong!!!

What I need to do is say that I want the bass/amp/other but tell the seller that I need a bit of time to come up with the cash. Seems a bit daft, but if it means I can get the deals then happy to go with that. I'm off down Arnold Clark's to try the same thing :)

[quote name='largo' post='498515' date='May 27 2009, 09:08 AM']So that's where I'm going wrong!!!

What I need to do is say that I want the bass/amp/other but tell the seller that I need a bit of time to come up with the cash. Seems a bit daft, but if it means I can get the deals then happy to go with that. I'm off down Arnold Clark's to try the same thing :)[/quote]

I thought you said you had the cash?

• 2 weeks later...