Why become a member? ×

squire...Standard, Vintage mod, or classic?

I had a Squier, sold it recently. It was a Standard Jazz, very well made and the pickups were surprisingly good. I wouldn't generalise on which are better, all three series you mention invariably have some good and some lesser examples

Mine beat every Mex Fender i tried (i originally set out to buy a MIM Jazz but ended up with the Squier!), plus you can pick the Standard series up for less money. I sold mine for £120 including a battered ABS case, was one of the walnut satin ones too

The general pecking order is Affinity, Standard, Vintage Modified, Classic Vibe. Deluxe fits in there somewhere as well!

For bass/£ equations, you've really got to look at the Affinity for true value, but for the price, those classic vibes can't be beaten. They trounce most MIM Fenders.

[quote name='OutToPlayJazz' post='494597' date='May 21 2009, 07:49 PM']The general pecking order is Affinity, Standard, Vintage Modified, Classic Vibe. Deluxe fits in there somewhere as well!

For bass/£ equations, you've really got to look at the Affinity for true value, but for the price,[u] those classic vibes can't be beaten[/u]. They trounce most MIM Fenders.[/quote]

I have to agree. The Jazz CV I got from FunkyHobbit (first owner being Marcus) is so playable that it is frankly astonishing for the money... my caveat being that I am talking fit, finish and playability; as the pups in this are full blown EMGs so I'd expect them to beat most stock MIM/MIJ/MIA pups.

Depends what you want it for!
I think I'd probably stay away from the Affinity & Standards, if you want a more modern, dirtier sound, get a VMJ/P (seymour duncan pickups have a higher output). But if you're after a smoother tone with growl, go for the CV's.

I recently picked up a Squier Deluxe Jazz 5 on here, and it's a ridiculous amount of bass for the money I paid!

If I was gonna buy one of the above now, just for kicks, I'd get a classic vibe!

Si