Why become a member? ×

Diago FX power supply

megazap63

Hey all,

I'm about to upgrade the power supply for my pedalboard and have almost decided on a T-Rex fuel tank junior, mainly because they have isolated outputs and are supposed to be as close to dead quiet/hum-free as possible.

However, I've heard the same thing about the Diago supply. Also, its very compact - a big plus.

My only concern is that the Diago seems to operate on a daisy chain configuration and my previous experience is that any such setup will almost always generate ground loops and hum.

Any thoughts or experiences to share on either the Diago or T-Rex? Grateful for your sagely views!!

Cheers, Chris :)

[quote name='megazap63' post='493913' date='May 21 2009, 07:34 AM']Hey all,

I'm about to upgrade the power supply for my pedalboard and have almost decided on a T-Rex fuel tank junior, mainly because they have isolated outputs and are supposed to be as close to dead quiet/hum-free as possible.

However, I've heard the same thing about the Diago supply. Also, its very compact - a big plus.

My only concern is that the Diago seems to operate on a daisy chain configuration and my previous experience is that any such setup will almost always generate ground loops and hum.

Any thoughts or experiences to share on either the Diago or T-Rex? Grateful for your sagely views!!

Cheers, Chris :)[/quote]

Hi guys,

Many thanks for all your responses. After a bit more research I'm being swayed towards getting a Diago system.

Burno - does the Diago 18V adaptor work well on the pedal its powering? The reason I ask is that I'm looking at powering up a Mu-tron pedal (18V) and these pedals, while being great-sounding filters, are notoriously 'finnicky' and can be prone to failure/burnout if the power supply is inconsistent.

John - thanks for the extra advice re Line 6 pedals. I was thinking of adding one at some point, so will definitely keep this in mind.

Cheers, Chris

hmm, if I were you I'd go down to maplins and check out their power supplies. I picked up a 2amp 9v power supply with more addapters on the end than I know what to do with for £20 and it works a treat. It's not too big either: it takes up 1 socket unless they're opposite each other (like on those wind up adapters with the 2 plugs facing 2 plugs: it then covers 2 sockets).

EDIT

I use it to power my boss 8-track recorder or my line of pedals using a daisychain (Tu-2, ODB-3, Jim Dunlop Wah). The only thing I'd say is that my ODB-3 has been getting some hum issues recently, but I think that's due to it breaking at the moment (it's like that on my other power supply)

Edited by iamapirate

From what I've read I don't think the Diago 18v adaptor would run an original Mutron - different type of adaptor, not sure about the Hazlabs version. You could PM Higgie for a more technical answer, he has one and uses a double battery adaptor thang.

Edited by burno70

[quote name='burno70' post='494161' date='May 21 2009, 12:45 PM']From what I've read I don't think the Diago 18v adaptor would run an original Mutron - different type of adaptor, not sure about the Hazlabs version. You could PM Higgie for a more technical answer, he has one and uses a double battery adaptor thang.[/quote]

Cheers Burno.

It is actually a HAZ Labs reissue that I need to power up, so will probably PM Higgie and Diago to check.

You're right about the old Musitronics Mutrons, I've got one of those and when running it I use a similar set up Higgie or just burn through standard batteries....wouldn't risk running it any other way...

[quote name='dannybuoy' post='494069' date='May 21 2009, 11:31 AM']I use a Johnnyshredfreak supply which is like a cheaper version of the Diago - very quiet, less max current but still more than enough for me, and a fraction of the price.[/quote]

I'd swear that both the Diago and Johnnyshredfreak PSU's were made by the same manufacturer. As for the different currents, the Diago just states the max current, the Johnnyshredfreak one states the recommended one.

[url="http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=12&zenid=023a5dcbc8b80bd5688ad17e69b39fe9"]http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/inde...88ad17e69b39fe9[/url]

I have two Johnnyshredfreak supplies and they are identical in every way to my guitarists Diago apart from the (glued on, in both cases) badge.

[quote name='joegarcia' post='497046' date='May 25 2009, 04:02 AM']I'd swear that both the Diago and Johnnyshredfreak PSU's were made by the same manufacturer. As for the different currents, the Diago just states the max current, the Johnnyshredfreak one states the recommended one.

[url="http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=12&zenid=023a5dcbc8b80bd5688ad17e69b39fe9"]http://www.johnnyshredfreak.com/store/inde...88ad17e69b39fe9[/url]

I have two Johnnyshredfreak supplies and they are identical in every way to my guitarists Diago apart from the (glued on, in both cases) badge.[/quote]

I'd agree. They are the same. Even internally. Diago have seemed to resell it as some sort of boutique product when really, it isn't. I didn't say that it's not good... but... it's the same as the JSF one...