Why become a member? ×

Dave Swift - Jools H. Band.

wateroftyne

Hi all

I've just been putting some stuff on YouTube, including a couple of songs from an Unreleased Jools Holland & Friends show at the RAH.

There's some great stuff, but Dave really shines on this clip. What a player.

(Hit the HQ button... it's far better)

[quote name='bassace' post='493435' date='May 20 2009, 04:42 PM']Sorry, but a half decent jazzer could do that as well on double bass. It's competent but nothing amazing. ..............runs for cover.........[/quote]

FYI - Dave's a very accomplished jazz double bassist as well - but he tends to play for the song before showing off :)

He's played with just about everybody - check out this page on his website for some more vids

[url="http://www.daveswiftbass.com/pages/people.html"]http://www.daveswiftbass.com/pages/people.html[/url]

He's a dude and very down to earth chap as well

Cheers

Mike

[quote name='bassace' post='493435' date='May 20 2009, 04:42 PM']Sorry, but a half decent jazzer could do that as well on double bass. It's competent but nothing amazing. ..............runs for cover.........[/quote]

I couldn't - I don't read enough jazz mags :)

Just goes to show, the bass in your hands is only a tool. The tone is in your fingers to a large degree, and a competent musician can produce many tones from his instrument. The Bongo, as mad as it looks can do almost anything you want it to, and in the hands of someone who can really [i]play[/i] it's a top quality bass.

Yes, I'm sure it'd sound great on an upright, but that's kind of not the point.

He's a real pro, no doubt. But..he gets my personal alltimeworstbasssoundonagig award for Brecon jazz festival about 12 years ago. Upright acoustic in the dreadful sounding market hall - it was baaad..but not in a good way. Not his fault - nothing he could do about it, but it was a lesson in itself.