Why become a member? ×

Traben Bass

Metalmoore

Is anyone familiar with this make? Seen them on GAK and bought the Chaos 5, never got it since i waited 2 months and every week they would say "due to be sent out next week" and in the end cancelled it even though i was wanting a nice 35" 5 stringer for some metal. So yeah, anyone seen/played/owned one? They seem pretty interesting.

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='492867' date='May 20 2009, 12:37 AM']Is anyone familiar with this make? Seen them on GAK and bought the Chaos 5, never got it since i waited 2 months and every week they would say "due to be sent out next week" and in the end cancelled it even though i was wanting a nice 35" 5 stringer for some metal. So yeah, anyone seen/played/owned one? They seem pretty interesting.[/quote]

I happen to have a Traben Array LTD edition 5-string in Spalt maple.
Pretty much brand new...I bought it for £420, took it home, got exited about it, used it for about 4-8 hours and decided it didn't work for me...It's the body shape to myself...it doesn't feel like it's on!
Been sitting doing nothing and I have thought about maybe selling it.

What I CAN tell you is the do what they say on the tin. The tone is beefy and cuts through like a very sharp knife through very hot butter.
Non-nasal tone too so you keep the low end as well as the highs.
The Array is a MM / Soapbar combo...unusual but works real well.
The 35" scale length of the 5-string is awesome for the low-B and the neck is slim like Ibanez but round like Fender.

They are very good from what I've played. They only don't have a huge status name because they don't have well known players endorsed by them, nor do they build them with English / American / German / Japanese labour.
They are built well though...the edges of the frets could be worked better but from where they come it may be a humidity issue.

Hope this clears up some stuff on Traben.
They are really kick ass and I'd love a Phoenix for that OTT flame look in Blood Red but it wouldn't work for me either I'll wager so I never looked.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='492867' date='May 20 2009, 12:37 AM']Is anyone familiar with this make? Seen them on GAK and bought the Chaos 5, never got it since i waited 2 months and every week they would say "due to be sent out next week" and in the end cancelled it even though i was wanting a nice 35" 5 stringer for some metal. So yeah, anyone seen/played/owned one? They seem pretty interesting.[/quote]

I had exactly the same problem Orderd a Chaos Core 5-String with Rockfield pickups and Aguilar pre-amp and I kept getting fobbed off on the delivery times. I cancelled the order in the end which made me think that they never had it in stock in the first place. Shame really, I'd like to try one out.

[quote name='Mr. Foxen' post='504422' date='Jun 3 2009, 07:40 AM']Bootsy[/quote]
No celebrity endorsement on Earth could convince me to buy this thing:

I mean, I like the idea of 5 pickups and 3 preamps, but... well, I just don't have that much funk in me. :)

But seriously, how many of these can they seriously expect to sell? List price is US$2850...

[quote name='neepheid' post='504391' date='Jun 3 2009, 01:09 AM']I've just ordered a Chaos 4. Hope the shop actually has one :)[/quote]

And it looks like I'm being bedevilled with supply problems - the shop phoned me up to say that they've none in stock and they asked their suppliers when new stock's coming and they've got no idea. Bah humbug.

I was lucky to get mine, which I didn't take to as much as I thought in the end.
The UK has very limited supply of Traben basses...they don't seem to ship far from the USA at the moment.
Pretty much no one will have them in stock...I phoned to find out when I got mine.

If anyone really wants a Traben I still have it.
It's an Array LTD 5-string, not a Choas though, MM/J pickups etc.

Edited by Kongo

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='504488' date='Jun 3 2009, 10:10 AM']No celebrity endorsement on Earth could convince me to buy this thing:

I mean, I like the idea of 5 pickups and 3 preamps, but... well, I just don't have that much funk in me. :)

But seriously, how many of these can they seriously expect to sell? List price is US$2850...[/quote]
And the answer is................sweet F.A!

• 2 weeks later...

I meant to post this last week but I forgot. Got a reply back from Traben regarding the rather constricted supply at the moment:

"Like the USA, many companies have closed in China also. We are looking for quality factories and this has delayed many models. I will send this to our international department and they can inform the UK distributor when and what models will be available between now and the end of summer."

So it seems that they are having some difficulty finding factories in the far east who will make these basses to their liking. They're still listed on the Traben website, so I presume they're still keen to get them going.

i had a traben phoenix a few years ago... it was pretty schweet. exactly what I wanted at the time, was playing in a power metal band and wanted some flash.

not a bad bass at all - very distinctive sound, there's a bump in the upper mids somewhere that I've not heard on any other bass since, took a bit of getting used to but I miss selling it now. nice round sound on the neck pickup too.

might have been nice to swap the bridge pup to a bartolini or something a touch warmer though. all in all a pretty good experience tho! wouldn't buy one again 'coz tastes change and the such, but definitely worth checking out. :)

• 10 months later...

[quote name='maxbane' post='829994' date='May 6 2010, 08:13 PM']I've almost put an deposit on a Havoc 4 strings at GAK.... but everytime i called then i had an different answer to when one was gonna be available.
At the end just retune my corvette and its sounds fat as ever!!!![/quote]

I bought the Neo Ltd October last, played it, loved it, changed the strings set it up etc then just didn't use it :) still for sale - link in my signature below.
If you want one that's been sorted & setup - just as new for 1/2 price :lol: :rolleyes:
Cheers,
John

[quote name='Metalmoore' post='505064' date='Jun 3 2009, 09:22 PM'][url="http://www.guitar.co.uk/guitars/bass?b=144&pr=0&sort=0&x=57&y=12"]Merchant city music[/url] (in glasgow) have a few and every so often get more in. Didnt have the chaos 5 i wanted so not really interested.[/quote]

The Music Centre
8 Wellmeadow Street
Paisley, Strathclyde PA1 2EF
United Kingdom Main Land

Phone: 0141 848 1033

Try this place,they had Trabens in a few weeks ago.