Why become a member? ×

Noble DI alternative

Duroc17

Howdy DIs seem to now have all bells and whistles- I have a very simple board - tuner, Seymour Duncan Bass Compressor, chorus - I’d like a decent very simple DI - I can’t afford a Noble, I don’t do enough gigs to justify but I like it’s simple 3 button unit - but in studios I’ve used Reddi DI - so does anyone have any recommendations? up to 100-200£

Posted (edited)

Are knobs really necessary, if you are after a simple DI? If your board is capable of producing the sound you want, a Countryman is all you need. If not, how about a ToneX?

Edited by itu
of to if
  • Like 1

I tried a few Tonex captures of the Noble and found one I particularly liked. But the Regal model on my HX Stomp is my go to pre amp now. My basses have never sounded so good. I’ve never had the opportunity to play a real Noble so I can’t say how accurate the digital ones sound, but I love what they do for my tone. 
A Tonex One might suit your needs. The Radial J48 has sounded really good in some recent YouTube DI shoot outs although it costs around £250, a little above what you want to spend. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, ratman said:

I tried a few Tonex captures of the Noble and found one I particularly liked. But the Regal model on my HX Stomp is my go to pre amp now. My basses have never sounded so good. I’ve never had the opportunity to play a real Noble so I can’t say how accurate the digital ones sound, but I love what they do for my tone. 
A Tonex One might suit your needs. The Radial J48 has sounded really good in some recent YouTube DI shoot outs although it costs around £250, a little above what you want to spend. 

I saw the Radial in a shoot out with Noble and others that American lad did - that looked good but Tonex One sounds good to check out. 

The Getz helping out here. Insane amount of pedals 

think just going to get the MXR in my price range and that, the radial and the Sushibox sounded great to me. In any near me price range 

I’m selling the JHS Colourbox v.2 which Janek chose in his shootout. It’s very versatile and has transformers (2 one on the di out and a second in the 1/4”).  Offers up a nice full sound and rhe eq is very flexible and the treble is voiced from 2kHz - which starts in a really nice spot for us bassists. The mid and low bands are also semi parametric so you can dial in a sound very very easily and quickly. 

Only I’m using a tube based DI and some passive tranformer units I’d be keeping it! 

DM me if you’d like to know more. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, krispn said:

I’m selling the JHS Colourbox v.2 which Janek chose in his shootout. It’s very versatile and has transformers (2 one on the di out and a second in the 1/4”).  Offers up a nice full sound and rhe eq is very flexible and the treble is voiced from 2kHz - which starts in a really nice spot for us bassists. The mid and low bands are also semi parametric so you can dial in a sound very very easily and quickly. 

Only I’m using a tube based DI and some passive tranformer units I’d be keeping it! 

DM me if you’d like to know more. 

Thanks but have bought the MXR new from PMT as it’s the one I chose and surprised Gwiz did too

I’ve gone with MXR 81 as although I use my mark bass the time controls will be handy to go ampless - or just di to desk from MXR and use amp as monitor

• Like 2

Two notes Revolt, channel A clean channel, real Tube inside, gain master Treble and bass sounds so nice everything at 12 or 12-2pm (other settings available) 

bonus if 2 extra channels should you need an alternative channel B Marshall super base style, channel C sone crazy modern metal overdrive.

But worth it for the Clean for a Noble esq sound Gain at 12-2 bass at 2

Treble 11-12. I get a better Noble sound than the Helix Noble patch, the Tube gives you that warm dynamic.

• Like 1

It doesnt meet your requirements,  but i went with the Two Notes Opus instead of the tonex. Outstanding bit of kit in every way and the best software interface I've seen.

Although i find myself using the DI on my ampeg pf20t more than the Opus for recording. 

• Like 1