Why become a member? ×

Epiphone Thunderbird - 34" or 34.5"

markdavid

[quote name='markdavid' post='491937' date='May 18 2009, 10:11 PM']Hi All ,

Simple question , ive heard somewhere that the Epiphone Thunderbird is 34.5" scale , ive also heard elsewhere that its 34" scale , Which is correct ?[/quote]

I hear 34.5...at least the Gibson was...Uh-oh I'm standing out in the open here! :)

EDIT: Nope, my history book says 34" scale...I think I best read it again from cover to cover...

Edited by Kongo

Wikipedia says 34" however....
I have my Epiphone with me now and nut to bridge on the E string is 34 and 3/8"
the G string 34 and 2/8" - do I win the Billy No-mates prize fror nerdery?
If you are thinking of getting one (Epiphone) I think that they are a good bass, I've seen a couple with quite high action due to the slim neck.
It's easy enough to sort out and when set up well it's a far better instrument than it's price would indicate.
As for a Gibson, I've never tried one, apparently they're quite good.

If you're thinking of getting one beware the new model, the Epiphone T-Bird Pro, should surface next month.

Bascially, the current T-Bird is a Bolt On, and has a really wide neck (it's 1.73", but quite thin) [s]which on par with the original t-birds iirc[/s], the new Pro is much like the current Gibson ones, neck through and with a width at the nut of 1.5".
The Epiphone ones are also very difficult to play past the 15th fret, the combination of the heel block for the BO and the lack of a deep cutaway conspire to make life difficult.

The only problem is that with the new active electronics (2EQ) and pups in the Pro and different neck woods (Pro has a maple walnut 7 piece laminate), no-one has a clue how they're going to sound.

I'm *really* looking forward to trying one this summer though :)

And in preperation of it sounding sh*te, I've aquired an Epiphone T-bird which I plan on gutting for the pups as the bridge isn't aligned properly to the body and neck and I can't be arsed to fix it.

Edit: yes, 34".

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='Buzz' post='491988' date='May 18 2009, 10:58 PM']If you're thinking of getting one beware the new model, the Epiphone T-Bird Pro, should surface next month.

Bascially, the current T-Bird is a Bolt On, and has a really wide neck (it's 1.73", but quite thin) which on par with the original t-birds iirc, the new Pro is much like the current Gibson ones, neck through and with a width at the nut of 1.5".
The Epiphone ones are also very difficult to play past the 15th fret, the combination of the heel block for the BO and the lack of a deep cutaway conspire to make life difficult.

The only problem is that with the new active electronics (2EQ) and pups in the Pro and different neck woods (Pro has a maple walnut 7 piece laminate), no-one has a clue how they're going to sound.

And in preperation of it sounding sh*te, I've aquired an Epiphone T-bird which I plan on gutting for the pups as the bridge isn't aligned properly to the body and neck and I can't be arsed to fix it.

Edit: yes, 34".[/quote]
What are you planning on doing with the leftover neck?

Dunno, depends if there is a left over neck or not.

If I do buy a Pro and I like how it sounds, it'll stay in one piece and be up for cheap sales on here most likely. If I gut the pups from it, we'll see, I might put it on here for cheap, but I'll be wanting to get rid of the body as well and won't be just selling the neck on.

Edited by Buzz

[quote name='Kongo' post='492005' date='May 18 2009, 11:24 PM']All I can remeber playing one round a friends house is DAMN do they dive! :rolleyes:[/quote]

Psst, if you move the top strap pin to the neck heel on the BO they balance like a charm :)

[quote name='Buzz' post='491997' date='May 18 2009, 11:09 PM']Dunno, depends if there is a left over neck or not.

If I do buy a Pro and I like how it sounds, it'll stay in one piece and be up for cheap sales on here most likely. If I gut the pups from it, we'll see, I might put it on here for cheap, but I'll be wanting to get rid of the body as well and won't be just selling the neck on.[/quote]
Gimmee a shout if you want rid of the body.

[quote name='Buzz' post='491988' date='May 18 2009, 09:58 PM']If you're thinking of getting one beware the new model, the Epiphone T-Bird Pro, should surface next month.[/quote]

Yeah , they look nice , its a shame Epiphone dont seem to be bringing out a Pro model of the EB3 or the Les Paul bass , would be nice to have a few more options, and an EB3 with a 2 band active eq , man that would shake some walls with the bass eq boosted :)

[quote name='markdavid' post='492873' date='May 20 2009, 12:46 AM']Yeah , they look nice , its a shame Epiphone dont seem to be bringing out a Pro model of the EB3 or the Les Paul bass , would be nice to have a few more options, and an EB3 with a 2 band active eq , man that would shake some walls with the bass eq boosted :)[/quote]

Add an 18" on top of that and you get...[b]"The Landslide"[/b]
All the low end mud you could want freely moving around...Mmmm so subby...You gotta do it!

[quote name='Kongo' post='492878' date='May 19 2009, 11:54 PM']Add an 18" on top of that and you get...[b]"The Landslide"[/b]
All the low end mud you could want freely moving around...Mmmm so subby...You gotta do it![/quote]

Imagine that with flatwounds , it would sound like an earthquake :)

I bought an epiphone before putting the money down on a Gibson and was shocked at how good the epiphone was. I would urge anyone out there wanting a bass for pure rock looks and sound to pick one of these up. £200 retail but there's always a few on Gumtree for about £150.

Igotthe Gibson around a month later and it is amazing (they are putting the strap pins behind the neck now). I had to go for the creammodel and it sounds unbelieveable - worth the extra cash. But I still use the Epi frequently. A lot of people go on about the dive and whilst I agree with the strap pin behind the neck solution i'm not that bothered about the dive you do admittedly get with it on the upper horn.

I rarely let go of the neck when I'm playing - cant understand how you'd make any noise otherwise - so it has never been a problem.

^^That hasn't answered the original question i know - apologies to the thread starter!

Does the half inch in the scale length really make a difference when you're playing? :)

And on the subject of neck dive, I picked a Thunderbird up from a fellow BC'er on Saturday, moved the strap button to the back of the neck and it still dives, but only if I take both hands off. I often take off my left hand, but it takes no effort whatsoever from the right hand to keep it level.

On a slightly related note, FAB stands for "Full Acknowledgement of Broadcast".

[quote name='Buzz' post='491988' date='May 18 2009, 09:58 PM']If you're thinking of getting one beware the new model, the Epiphone T-Bird Pro, should surface next month.

Bascially, the current T-Bird is a Bolt On, and has a really wide neck (it's 1.73", but quite thin) [s]which on par with the original t-birds iirc[/s], the new Pro is much like the current Gibson ones, neck through and with a width at the nut of 1.5".

Edit: yes, 34".[/quote]
Yeah, a music shop around here has said they'll be getting the t-bird pro in stock soon - they have some on order, can't wait to try one out!