Why become a member? ×

Odd Question - Hearing some notes out of tune

So bit of an odd one, but before I start, I am going to see an ENT doctor about this so not really looking for medical advice just curious if anyone else has experienced this.

I have suffered from tinitus for my whole life. I mainly only hear the ringing at night and to me thats always what night time sounds like, a high pitched ringing. Although if I think about it, like writing this message, I can hear it.

Fairly recently I realised, when wearing IEM's I am hearing some notes sharp in my right ear. F3 is the most noteable for me, sounds sharp, especially if I do a scale up to it.

Now take the IEM out of my right ear and everything sounds fine. Through an amp, and everything is all good. I've tried on the guitar and everything seems normal and different basses do seem to be a little better/worse which is odd.

Just curious if anyone else has experienced this? It's kinda freaking me out a bit.

How good are your IEMs?

Many cheap drivers exhibit harmonic peaks which make some notes sound out of tune. The last place I worked had a nasty radio/CD system with terrible speakers. Some CDs just sounded horribly out of tune when played on it.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

How good are your IEMs?

Many cheap drivers exhibit harmonic peaks which make some notes sound out of tune. The last place I worked had a nasty radio/CD system with terrible speakers. Some CDs just sounded horribly out of tune when played on it.

I'd echo this. I think it seems like I rag on cheap IEMs on BC, but, there are many reasons why I'd not suggest buying cheap universals and generics anyway. There's also the rest of the chain to take in to consideration too, like that of the cheap radio, what is being sent to your IEMs? is the mix just tsraight out of the PA or do you have the luxury of being able to high pass / compress / EQ and, even go stereo? I maintain that the reason most people feel isolated and find IEMS dificult is becuase it costs money, time and a bit of understanding to do it properly. I have endured some truly painful in-ear mixes over the years, especially as like you @GoodShowSir, I suffer from Tinnitus and have an ENT on speed dial lol. I'd highly recommend to any musician getting your ears checked out regularly anyway, as you can plot hearing damage history and find ways to help protect those very delicate lug-oles! 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

How good are your IEMs?

That's... actually fair point, I hadn't considered it might be the IEM's! I got some Linsol KZ ZS10's which aren't too expensive, and recommending in another thread. But I will get my wife to try them later.

Edited by GoodShowSir
Adding manufacturer

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Dood said:

I'd echo this. I think it seems like I rag on cheap IEMs on BC, but, there are many reasons why I'd not suggest buying cheap universals and generics anyway. There's also the rest of the chain to take in to consideration too, like that of the cheap radio, what is being sent to your IEMs? is the mix just tsraight out of the PA or do you have the luxury of being able to high pass / compress / EQ and, even go stereo? I maintain that the reason most people feel isolated and find IEMS dificult is becuase it costs money, time and a bit of understanding to do it properly. I have endured some truly painful in-ear mixes over the years, especially as like you @GoodShowSir, I suffer from Tinnitus and have an ENT on speed dial lol. I'd highly recommend to any musician getting your ears checked out regularly anyway, as you can plot hearing damage history and find ways to help protect those very delicate lug-oles! 

Nice, thanks to you both. I dont know why I hadn't really considered that.

So happens no matter what really, from playing live direct from the PA, through my DI or even the little VOX plugin amp thing someone bought me. I'm going to play around with it later! And hopefully then just order some better IEM's :D

Edited by GoodShowSir

I don't use IEMs but something similar happens to me, generally towards the end of a gig on the occasions that it does happen. It's not specific notes, it's any note, and I finish up checking that I am playing the right note as it sounds so out. Fortunately it didn't happen when I played exclusively fretless, but now I play fretted and it does.

• Like 1

I’m happy to say I don’t have tinnitus but I am slightly deaf in my right ear. I use KZ ZS 10’s at home through a Focusrite for practice and sometimes hear the odd flat sounding note. But the same IEM’s fed through our mixer on a gig present no such issues. The world is weird sometimes. 

• Like 1

Ok thank you so much everyone. I have tried my wifes IEM's which are the same make and it's not happening (though I kinda hear it struggling). I've also gone through studio headphones and every other headphones I can find in the house and it isn't happening.

I just assumed it was me... wow... that makes me very happy :D

Thank you! I'm still going to get someone else just to double check they can hear what I can through my IEM's but hoping its just that. Then I am going to invest in a better pair of IEM's!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, tauzero said:

something similar happens to me, generally towards the end of a gig on the occasions that it does happen. It's not specific notes, it's any note, and I finish up checking that I am playing the right note as it sounds so out.

Yes, I've noticed exactly this phenomena more frequently lately. I used to think it was worse when I was gigging in a room with dreadful acoustics or I was on a hollow stage, but I'm reluctantly concluding that maybe it's just aural fatigue due to age............  my hearing's still good but I'm not really confident I could be trusted on a fretless now.......... 😳👎