Why become a member? ×
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt

Ken Smith Design KSD Proto J Jazz
£275
Margate

Posted (edited)

Ken Smith Design Proto J jazz bass up for grabs. 

This is a lovely active 70's style jazz bass with a great EBS preamp for that Marcus Miller sizzle. I understand these were originally imported by GB Guitars in Brighton which is testament to the quality on offer. It features a lovely slim and fairly flat neck that's capable of achieving a very low action if required. It has been gigged and shows signs of use, but is in good condition overall. 

Grab a bargain! 

Collection only from Margate as it doesn't have a case. 

20240506_131126.jpg

20240506_131119.jpg

20240506_131133.jpg

20240506_131144.jpg

20240506_131154.jpg

20240506_131332.jpg

Screenshot_20240506_171524_Gallery.jpg

Edited by jay-syncro
  • Like 6

5 hours ago, Terry M. said:

I would have pounced on this like a hungry lion had it been the 5 string version. 

Believe me those beasts are far too heavy. Grab this one and add a D tuner ^^

2 hours ago, jay-syncro said:

You're in luck. 

Sorry what I should have specified was is if this was a Proto J 705(70s) I would have mauled it. Same colour scheme as this 4 string 704. The listing you quoted is for a 605(60s) but appreciate this all the same ☺️

45 minutes ago, Terry M. said:

Sorry what I should have specified was is if this was a Proto J 705(70s) I would have mauled it. Same colour scheme as this 4 string 704. The listing you quoted is for a 605(60s) but appreciate this all the same ☺️

Ah yes, of course. Good luck in your quest. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Terry M. said:

I would have pounced on this like a hungry lion had it been the 5 string version. 

I had the 5 string version of this model about 15 years ago, bought direct from Bernie Goodfellow.. I can still remember him fitting the Aguilar pre in it and setting it up for me. 

It had a great sound - very Marcus Miller in some respects, but it was good for lots of different styles of music. IIRC, I only sold it to upgrade to a Fender Roscoe Beck V. 

This looks like an absolute bargain to me btw, and Jay's a great person to deal with! 

GLWTS 👍😊

• Like 1

2 hours ago, silverfoxnik said:

I had the 5 string version of this model about 15 years ago, bought direct from Bernie Goodfellow.. I can still remember him fitting the Aguilar pre in it and setting it up for me. 

It had a great sound - very Marcus Miller in some respects, but it was good for lots of different styles of music. IIRC, I only sold it to upgrade to a Fender Roscoe Beck V. 

This looks like an absolute bargain to me btw, and Jay's a great person to deal with! 

GLWTS 👍😊

Thanks mate ☺️

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Terry M. said:

There’s a 5 string one of these for sale with a John East pre on here somewhere. This is an insanely good bass for under £300!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paddy777 said:

There’s a 5 string one of these for sale with a John East pre on here somewhere. This is an insanely good bass for under £300!

That one is a 60s 605 as opposed to the 70s 705 the same colour as this 704 for sale but thanks anyway 👍

On 07/05/2024 at 13:03, Terry M. said:

You really are in luck now! 😃 

Posted (edited)

Been drooling the last few days ...I'm so tempted .....though Margate is literally the other end of the country ....

It's crazy value and looks sweet ..

Edited by ZenBasses

8 hours ago, Paddy777 said:

You really are in luck now! 😃 

Would you believe it was 10:30 this morning I acquired a Japanese 1995 Bass Collection SB315 in unmarked condition that plays like a dream for £270? I couldn't walk away from that so for now I have a 5 string "jazz" bass. Appreciate the heads up regardless ☺️👍

• Like 1