Why become a member? ×

Some neat fingerstyle picking...

Kiwi

I think its his attempt at the "Django" Reinhardt" style....
the tunes are pretty cool..
Typical for that style, Hot club de France etc.
Might be worth listening to Django stuff and work out your own fingerings,
It cant be that hard, Django only had to usable fingers on his left hand... :)
Well the two good ones for soloing, and the damaged other two for chord work only.
Fantastic player..
I am rambling , not much help to you Steve.
Good luck with it though.

Garry

Edited by lowdown

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='491362' date='May 18 2009, 02:02 PM']Reminds me of [url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-c66SJPuUI"]Chet Atkins[/url]. Neat, but can't help but think it would sound a lot better on a guitar.

I'm not picking on 6-string bass, it just sounds a bit clunky to me.[/quote]

6 string Bass, Clunky or not
He is sitting in his frontroom and amusing himself with some chordal work,
What do you want him to do......
Pick up his Precison Bass, Load it up with Flatwounds , grab his Plectrum....
And go ....
'Take your partners boys and girls'
AN DA.......1 2.. HEREWE GO........

[D]Goodbye Joe, me gotta go, me oh [A]my ohMe gotta go pole the pirogue down the [D]bayouMy Yvonne, the sweetest one, me oh [A]my ohSon of a gun, we'll have good fun on the [D]bayouCHORUS:[D]Jambalaya, a-crawfish pie and-a fillet [A]gumbo'Cause tonight I'm gonna see my machez a[D]mioPick guitar, fill fruit jar and be [A]gay-ohSon of a gun, we'll have big fun on the [D]bayou.2. Instrumental Verse (Country Fiddle solo)3. [D]Thibay-deaux, Fountaineaux, the place is [A]buzzin'Kinfolk come to see Yvonne by the [D]dozenDress in style, go hog wild, me oh [A]my ohSon of a gun, we'll have big fun on the [D]bayou.REPEAT CHORUS4. Instrumental Verse (Country Fiddle solo)FINAL CHORUS:[D]Jambalaya, a-crawfish pie and-a fillet [A]gumbo'Cause tonight I'm gonna see my machez a[D]mioPick guitar, fill fruit jar and be [A]gay-ohSon of a gun, we'll have big fun on the b[D]ayou.Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the b[D]ayou.Son of a gun, we'll have big fun on the b[D]ayou.
:)

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='491524' date='May 18 2009, 04:23 PM']6 string Bass, Clunky or not
He is sitting in his frontroom and amusing himself with some chordal work,
What do you want him to do......
Pick up his Precison Bass, Load it up with Flatwounds , grab his Plectrum....
And go ....
'Take your partners boys and girls'
AN DA.......1 2.. HEREWE GO........[/quote]

Yeah that's almost exactly what I said.

Funnily enough whenever I sit down in my front room for a bit of amusement with a bass it always seems to end up on YouTube. I don't know who it is that sneakily records these things but they're making innocent bassists look terribly immodest.

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='491559' date='May 18 2009, 04:50 PM']Yeah that's almost exactly what I said.

Funnily enough whenever I sit down in my front room for a bit of amusement with a bass it always seems to end up on YouTube. I don't know who it is that sneakily records these things but they're making innocent bassists look terribly immodest.[/quote]

Only kidding mate.. :)
I did see your point...
Just could not resist.

Garry

[quote name='lowdown' post='491936' date='May 18 2009, 10:11 PM'][b][u]I think its his attempt [/u]at the "Django" Reinhardt" style....[/b]

Garry[/quote]

That's what I was responding to.

What this guy's playing is fairly run of the mill chord melody guitar played on a bass. It doesn't sound (to me) at all like Gypsy Jazz, but that might be because I studied it for a couple of years. It does sound quite a bit like Chet Atkins style fingerpicking. Mind you, Chet was influenced by Django...

[quote name='dlloyd' post='491964' date='May 18 2009, 10:36 PM']Mind you, Chet was influenced by Django...[/quote]

Thats for sure.

A good friend of mine from just outside Glasgee..
John Goldie,
Is a very good tune/chord guitar player.
If you see him around, very much worth a look.

Garry

[quote name='Crazykiwi' date='May 17 2009, 05:11 PM' post='490668']
...OK so the tunes may not be cool and right on but I'd still like to learn a few songs like this (fast forward to 0:52):

The tune he's playing, at least from 0.52, is 'cheek to cheek', the old jazz standard. The chart for it will be in the Real Book.

I thinks its awesome to show just what can be done with a bass guitar! It can be a beautiful lead instrument. Check out BC's very own Kevin Glasgow's arrangement of another standard, 'My Romance' [url="http://www.myspace.com/kevinglasgow"]here[/url].

[quote name='JohnnyLightyear' post='492024' date='May 18 2009, 11:50 PM']I thinks its awesome to show just what can be done with a bass guitar! It can be a beautiful lead instrument.[/quote]

I think so to...
Just a shame it seems to get such a panning on Basschat.
Kevin Glasgow's arrangement of 'My Romance' sounds great.

Garry

[quote name='Crazykiwi' post='490672' date='May 17 2009, 05:14 PM']any tips for writing the arrangements and finger patterns?[/quote]

I would get a hold of a decent chord melody jazz guitar book.

Some good info here...

[url="http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/archive/index.php/t-26958.html"]http://forums.allaboutjazz.com/archive/ind...hp/t-26958.html[/url]

When I was starting out with the Matt Garrison 4 finger technique I was also getting into Charlie Hunter and the whole thumb/fingers bass/melody independence thing. I'm not saying that all this sort of stuff sounds good on bass, as some pieces sound better on other instruments, but it certainly is a good way to develop your technique and your mind. When you try to play a solid groove and melody at the same time, it's difficult. You also have to get your technique sorted on both left and right hands so it's physically easy to do it. Which means, you improve, and the easier other things become. Plus it's fun!

Mark