Why become a member? ×

USB interface for ipad with onboard amp sims?

I have a Steinberg UR22-C which has the above built in, and works perfect, but i keep it connected to my Mac. I want something similar to use in another room with my ipad for when im learning songs on bass.

Thing is i cant bring myself to buy another, as it just seems a bit excessive, and it wont get used much. 

One option I’ve considered is getting a Zoom H4n Pro, as that would work fine, but having just got a H4e it again feels excessive. The H4e works ok but doesnt have the onboard effects. 

Looking for suggestions as to what else i can look at. 

Has to be bus compliant. I only intend to use one cable from ipad to interface, and a headphone cable. No power cables. Bass will be wireless. 

Im not bothered what sims are included, just something to liven it up a bit. Could even be just good EQ and comp. 

Shouldn’t need to use an app to get it working, i don’t want to be loading songs in to it etc. Ok with using an app as a front end though. 

Needs to be reasonably cheap, let’s say around £100. A UR22-C will cost around £130. 

I guess im really looking at another UR22-C, but open to suggestions. 

Please, im asking about an interface, not any other workaround etc. I have plenty of other options like Zoom B4 in to interface, Logic open on ipad etc already.

12 minutes ago, fretmeister said:

Oops. Missed that bit.

it doesn’t. I use Amplitube on my iPad. There’s a good free version as well as paid.

Cheers. Yep, i have all this covered with software if needed, i just wondered if there was a different way of doing it with hardware. 

Boss katana go? I just picked one up. 

Havent used it but is has what youre looking for at the right price. Reviews are fantastic 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Boss katana go? I just picked one up. 

Havent used it but is has what youre looking for at the right price. Reviews are fantastic 

Oh yeah, i forgot about that. Ive read some reviews but that was before i wanted an interface. Cheers, I’ll look in to it. 

• Like 1

Just now, dave_bass5 said:

Oh yeah, i forgot about that. Ive read some reviews but that was before i wanted an interface. Cheers, I’ll look in to it. 

Ive said this is a few threads already (I'm excited!) but the lads at the Denmark street Roland/BOSS store said to me it is the best product boss has ever put out. 

And this was unsolicited and after i had already paid.

I literally bought it an hour ago. Won't get to use it until home in Dublin.

43 minutes ago, lidl e said:

Ive said this is a few threads already (I'm excited!) but the lads at the Denmark street Roland/BOSS store said to me it is the best product boss has ever put out. 

And this was unsolicited and after i had already paid.

I literally bought it an hour ago. Won't get to use it until home in Dublin.

Well its not the best product unless its a product you need, so ill take the hype with a pinch of salt. I mean, is it better than a Katana amp if you need an amp? 😂.

Ive looked in to it and it looks great, but maybe not quite what im after. The way i see it (and i may be wrong), is that the bass would have to be connected to the ipad by a cable (from the unit). I also notice the app is not native to ipad, so id have to rotate the ipad, which means it wont stand up, plus it seems the orientation has to be with the USB port at the bottom, so it definitely wont stand up.

Still looking, but i do appreciate this is a good device for those that need it. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MichaelDean said:

Why do you need it to be plugged into the iPad? You can stream audio and access the editor via bluetooth to the Katana Go. Set up a tone, then practice...

It has to be wired to work as an interface. I want to use Youtube. BT is not going to cut it. 

Bluetooth should be fine for that. The iPad should delay the video to match the audio. 

Bluetooth only becomes an issue in this situation where it's the headphones that are Bluetooth. The delay at that point can't be countered for with software. If you're using wired headphones, you should be fine. 

Edited by MichaelDean
Clarity
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Henrythe8 said:

I'd say the Mooer Prime P1 ticks all your boxes. 

Or the P2 if you have the extra quids to update. 

Hmm, that does look rather cool, ive not seen that before, but price wise it's above the UR22-C so i don't think il bother. Cheers anyway.

• Confused 1

5 hours ago, MichaelDean said:

Bluetooth should be fine for that. The iPad should delay the video to match the audio. 

Bluetooth only becomes an issue in this situation where it's the headphones that are Bluetooth. The delay at that point can't be countered for with software. If you're using wired headphones, you should be fine. 

ah ok, ill give it more thought. 

Cheers.

22 minutes ago, dave_bass5 said:

Hmm, that does look rather cool, ive not seen that before, but price wise it's above the UR22-C so i don't think il bother. Cheers anyway.

The UR22-C is 179€, the Prime P1 is 89€. 

6 minutes ago, Henrythe8 said:

The UR22-C is 179€, the Prime P1 is 89€. 

Sorry, i was looking at the S1. I can see the P1 is cheaper but it’s seems it’s only at Bax for that price as far as i can tell. Nothing wrong with that of course.

i can get the UR22-C for around £120, or used for £90.

I’ll have another look at it though.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just to finish the thread. I ended up going way over budget and getting the Zoom B2-Four. This works exactly as I wanted, bus powered so just the one cable, headphone on the device, which also receives the audio from my iPad, and although pricier than I was hoping for I was also looking for something like this for using with the band. So two birds with one stone etc.