Why become a member? ×

Is there a popular bass player you never used to get, who you now appreciate or admire?

Not so much a popular bass player but a popular band - Bon Jovi.  Aside from maybe 3 of their bigger hits I had taken no notice of them whatsoever but then the rock covers band I was in decided to morph into a Bon Jovi tribute band.  Cue spening a lot of time and effort learning lots of their material.  I now have massive respect for Hugh McDonald who came up with some absolutely fabulous bass lines which often define the song - hooky earworms like 'Livin' On A Prayer' and 'Keep The Faith' but also subtle and wondrously musical lines that weave through the song like 'These Days'.  I'm still not a big fan of the songs but consider Hugh to be very much an unsung hero. :) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Bassfinger said:

For me it would be Mike Dirnt.  But having delved deeper recently into his playing I am pleased to say I am wrong. He dang good!

Mike and Tre are an amazing rhythm section.

• Like 1

Brian Bromberg is a Beast and I didnt know it.. And because I dont much care for the Beatles ive grown to appreciate Mr Mcartneys bass playing. Ok this isn't the Beatles but what a bass line.  Its so musical and totally propels the record. There is a live version when he plays this line and sings. Fantastic record also.

Edited by bubinga5