Why become a member? ×

Truss rod repair quotes?

richrips

Hi,
relatively new here so fingers crossed.

i recently snapped my truss rod whilst trying to fit the heaviest flatwounds i could buy. I have had little luck in finding a decent new (preferably jazz) bass neck for much less than £100 so was wondering.....

can it be fixed cheaply?

are there any luthiers out there who could make this repair economically viable?

how much would the repair cost?

any help would be much appreciated!

Thankyou,

rich (cardiff)

[quote name='richrips' post='488941' date='May 15 2009, 02:46 PM']Hi,

i recently snapped my truss rod whilst trying to fit the heaviest flatwounds i could buy. I have had little luck in finding a decent new (preferably jazz) bass neck for much less than £100 so was wondering.....

can it be fixed cheaply?

are there any luthiers out there who could make this repair economically viable?

Thankyou,

rich (cardiff)[/quote]

Depends on the neck... e.g. was the truss rod inserted beneath the fingerboard? Was the truss rod inserted through a skunk stripe? To be honest, I would be surprised if you could get it fixed for much less than a £100.

What sort of neck is it?

I'd wait a few days until a used one comes up on ebay. I've seen several recently go for around £100. There's an MIJ on there at the moment but I think it's around £150. Don't bother getting yours repaired 'cos a decent luthier will likely charge more than the necks worth and if it's not a decent luthier you might not get a satisfactory solution
Good luck

i havn't taken it off yet but it has a skunk stripe and i believe it was mighty mite or allparts.

i'd love to do it myself (i make surfboards among other things) but don't know where to start.

from what i can see, there is no obvious join between the fingerboard and neck. could it be made from one piece with the truss rod put in from behind? does this make repair harder or easier?

cheers,
rich

[quote name='richrips' post='488963' date='May 15 2009, 03:11 PM']i havn't taken it off yet but it has a skunk stripe and i believe it was mighty mite or allparts.

i'd love to do it myself (i make surfboards among other things) but don't know where to start.

from what i can see, there is no obvious join between the fingerboard and neck. could it be made from one piece with the truss rod put in from behind? does this make repair harder or easier?

cheers,
rich[/quote]

If you are handy with a router... route out that skunk stripe, do your thing and then drop in a new piece of routed wood. It's a lot of jig building... could be an interesting project though. Remember there will be a sand and refin required after all that. It's easy to see how the cost starts mounting...

[quote name='EBS_freak' post='488980' date='May 15 2009, 03:27 PM']If you are handy with a router... route out that skunk stripe,[/quote]
I was told once that if you tried to do that and the router bit touched the trussrod, it could shatter and have your eye out in a twinkling. Just saying.....

[quote name='richrips' post='488941' date='May 15 2009, 02:46 PM']Hi,

can it be fixed cheaply?

Thankyou,

rich (cardiff)[/quote]

Just been thinking about this again... what exactly is the problem? Have you stripped the end? Or is the damage more serious than that? If the latter, you do have other options...

[url="http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Truss_rods/Truss_Rod_Rescue_Kit.html"]http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_...Rescue_Kit.html[/url]

Just been thinking about this again... what exactly is the problem? Have you stripped the end? Or is the damage more serious than that? If the latter, you do have other options...

[url="http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_...Rescue_Kit.html"]http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_...Rescue_Kit.html[/url]

Thats a lot dearer than a new MIM neck though!

Will.

[quote name='stevie' post='489053' date='May 15 2009, 04:40 PM']I was told once that if you tried to do that and the router bit touched the trussrod, it could shatter and have your eye out in a twinkling. Just saying.....[/quote]

Aye, not just your eyes - shards of hot metal at 25000rpm will hurt wherever they get you :)