Why become a member? ×

Any reason to not put tuner after compressor

lidl e

I need a small tuner added to my gig board.

I have just enough space for it, but it would have to go after my compressor.  

I can't see any reason that would be an issue. Would the fact that the tuner has a buffer make a difference?

The compressor is always on

Cheers.

Edited by lidl e

• lidl e changed the title to Any reason to not put tuner after compressor

Generally, the 'rule' seems to be to put the Tuner at the start as that's the cleanest signal to get the tuning from e.g. an extreme example - putting it after an envelope filter that's turned on would make tuning difficult, you'd need to click off your envelope filter before tuning - whereas having the tuner in front you wouldn't need to turn off the envelope filter (or other pedals) for accurate tuning. But after a compressor should be fine.

Although saying that, some pedals (especially Fuzz) don't like having a buffer ahead of them - so you'd perhaps want your buffered tuner after them.

.....so I don't think theres really one right or wrong answer - it depends on your signal chain.

Edited by SumOne
  • Like 1

I'd been running my tuner after my compressor for a couple of years without any issues. My reason being the assumption that the compressed signal would give the tuner a more consistent signal to work with - despite almost certainly not hitting the threshold on the compressor as my tuner responds better with gentle sting plucks than the strength I usually play at. But a recent shuffle of my board meant that the tuner went first, before the compressor. It seems to respond ever so slightly quicker this way, but we're talking fractions of a second, maybe half a second max per string. My comp is bufferered, whether that matters or not 🤷

So IME, both combinations work, with my gear anyway (Pitch black custom into LMB-3) with tuner into comp possibly a tiny weeny bit quicker to respond. I'd say just go with whatever works for you.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, LukeFRC said:

pretty sure, if it came to it, there's a foot switch somewhere on the compressor that might turn it off? 

Well, to nitpick said compressor might have a build in buffer that would still affect the signal, even if switched off.

That said I am quite certain that wouldn't affect the tracking or accuracy of the tuner negatively.

If anything that actually ought to improve it.

Edited by Baloney Balderdash
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Baloney Balderdash said:

Well, to nitpick said compressor might have a build in buffer that would still affect the signal, even if switched off.

That said I am quite certain that wouldn't affect the tracking or accuracy of the tuner negatively.

If anything that actually ought to improve it.

it would have been a less humorous comment if I had caveated it too much. :) 

• Like 1

It'll be fine, I've done it that way around before purely because it was the only way I could get my pedals to fit on my board. It's not like the compressor is going to change the pitch of the signal 😅