Why become a member? ×

Boss Katana:Go

Greg Edwards69

Posted (edited)

Just had a look at the pdf manual and parameter guides. There's a lot to like with this. A veritable Katana in your pocket. A ton of effects and parameters to keep you entertained for hours, plus a "stage feel" function, similar to the Waza Air headphones that lets you choose where the Bluetooth audio and amp sits in 3D space (such as amp in front of you and Bluetooth behind - no head tracking, mind you).

£120 on GAK.

Sounds like a bargain.  I think my Pocket GT will be up for sale very soon.

PS, with mini TRS cable and passive DI box, it could make for a potent backup device for gigs.

Edited by Greg Edwards69
  • Like 1

It looks good, when my NUX Mighty Plug dies I'll probaby get one.

I know it's asking a lot, but I'd like it to have a 1/8 jack out like the Mooer Prime as then it's potentially a whole basic live pedalboard - or at least will do for practice sessions, as can switch between presets (assuming you can add a chain of a few effects in each preset), and can use it as a tuner. 

• Like 1

I have been in a pretty long term funk with not playing - whilst the basses are out, any amp I have is tucked away behind other things so I can't just pick up a bass on the spur of the moment.

I've heard very good things about the NUX but this seems a touch more polished (as you would expect). I reckon this could be a purchase and see if it gets me playing again!

• Like 2

I ordered one yesterday after posting this. It's at work with me as we speak. Looking forward to trying it out later.

I was very tempted by the new Pod Express, but was on the fence, partly due to the price. No fence to sit on with the Katana:Go - it ticks almost every, single box.

• Like 2

I was thinking of grabbing that new line6 pod express for an easy headphone amp and then boss releases this.

They must have planned it.

I'll be grabbing one of these for sure.

• Like 2

I've been thinking about getting a plug in and play practice set up for a while.

I've already got a Katana guitar amp so it makes perfect sense from an already knowing how it works point of view.

So I've ordered from Andertons and it should be with me in a few days once they get new stock in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Cato said:

I've been thinking about getting a plug in and play practice set up for a while.

I've already got a Katana guitar amp so it makes perfect sense from an already knowing how it works point of view.

So I've ordered from Andertons and it should be with me in a few days once they get new stock in.

I had a feeling they would sell like hotcakes!

I wonder if your Katana Amp presets will be compatible with the Katana Go?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Greg Edwards69 said:

I had a feeling they would sell like hotcakes!

I wonder if your Katana Amp presets will be compatible with the Katana Go?

If I understood the Andertons video below, you can export presets from the amp to the Go, but not from the Go to the amp, if that makes sense.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, tayste_2000 said:

I ordered one but won’t have it until May, everything I’m reading says it much better than the NUX

Where'd you order from? Amazon saying in stock mid April.

Andertons seems to have in stock.

Gear4music had them up until yesterday, nnow aying early May. Not sure G4M is in UK?

Thomann 5-7 weeks.

I'll be in London next week and i was hoping i could walk into a shop and grab one

Gear4music but I ordered it with a gruv gear kapsule that shows delivery at some point in April.

I’m in Casablanca for most of April so it’ll arrive when it arrives 🤷🏻‍♂️

Probably be out of stock as soon as my kapsule is in stock 😅

On 30/03/2024 at 00:40, gumtown said:

So two weeks ago many of you said "I'm getting one by the end of the week!"

So any real usage reviews ?

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now.

It's a great bit of kit, for anyone who's had any experience of the Katana guitar or bass amps this is more of the same in a tiny plug in and play package.

I will say the existing bass presets aren't that useful, 3 or 4 of them have 'slap' in their description and having determined that they weren't particularly good for slap or any other context those were the first slots I replaced with my my own patches.

It probably took me under 5 minutes to create 2 new bass patches, one clean with a bit of compression for a 'modern tone' and another with a bit more grit. 

As I mentioned in another post I have the guitar amp, but I reckon the Katana Go app is intuitive enough that even anyone completely new to the brand will be able to dial in something they're happy with within a few minutes of downloading the phone app 

As far as I can see you do need the phone app to set up new patches, it gives you easy access to the different amps and a fairly extensive array of effects where you can adjust all the parameters you'd expect on any amp or physical effects pedal.

The Go has 30 slots for your patches, which is less than than the average multi fx unit, but this isn't trying to replace the Helix in your main rig, I reckon 30 is more thn enough for practice, especially as it's so quick and easy to set new patches up or tinker with the ones you've got.

Once you've created the patches you want to use it's easy to cycle through them and the neat little display window will tell you which patch you're on.

There's also a nifty tuner function which, again is displayed on the device itself and does not require the phone app.

I've not had much experience with headphone practice amps, but I will say that the GO probably sounds as good as any full sized amp I've ever plugged headphones into, with the caveat that the headphones I use for practice are good quality over ear jobs (Behringer 770 Pro) I'm not sure using cheap earbuds , for example, would give the same experience.

All in all one of the better purchases I've made in recent years. It's just the ideal tool for those moments when get the urge to pick up an instrument and just start playing.

Edited by Cato
  • Like 6

The fellas in the shop both said this was the best product BOSS ever made. They were excited for me to buy it and the one fella said come back anytime and he'd give me a one on one lesson on it.

I dodnt have the heart to tell him im from ireland.

• Haha 1

On 07/04/2024 at 16:38, lidl e said:

Found one in the roland shop on denmark street!

So pleased...

Judging by the stock levels in online shops, you must have got the last one in the country.

• Like 2

On 31/03/2024 at 17:48, Cato said:

I've had mine for a couple of weeks now.

It's a great bit of kit, for anyone who's had any experience of the Katana guitar or bass amps this is more of the same in a tiny plug in and play package.

I will say the existing bass presets aren't that useful, 3 or 4 of them have 'slap' in their description and having determined that they weren't particularly good for slap or any other context those were the first slots I replaced with my my own patches.

It probably took me under 5 minutes to create 2 new bass patches, one clean with a bit of compression for a 'modern tone' and another with a bit more grit. 

As I mentioned in another post I have the guitar amp, but I reckon the Katana Go app is intuitive enough that even anyone completely new to the brand will be able to dial in something they're happy with within a few minutes of downloading the phone app 

As far as I can see you do need the phone app to set up new patches, it gives you easy access to the different amps and a fairly extensive array of effects where you can adjust all the parameters you'd expect on any amp or physical effects pedal.

The Go has 30 slots for your patches, which is less than than the average multi fx unit, but this isn't trying to replace the Helix in your main rig, I reckon 30 is more thn enough for practice, especially as it's so quick and easy to set new patches up or tinker with the ones you've got.

Once you've created the patches you want to use it's easy to cycle through them and the neat little display window will tell you which patch you're on.

There's also a nifty tuner function which, again is displayed on the device itself and does not require the phone app.

I've not had much experience with headphone practice amps, but I will say that the GO probably sounds as good as any full sized amp I've ever plugged headphones into, with the caveat that the headphones I use for practice are good quality over ear jobs (Behringer 770 Pro) I'm not sure using cheap earbuds , for example, would give the same experience.

All in all one of the better purchases I've made in recent years. It's just the ideal tool for those moments when get the urge to pick up an instrument and just start playing.

I will concur with just about everything brother Cato has said here. I do thunk the presets sound good though. Especially with some light tweaking, but i guess they arent presets then...

So many parameters for each effect are tweakable and you have like 60 different effects types.

The only cons i can see are only 30 preset slots, i like most of the presets and dont want to overwrite. Agreed on the slap presets, those were the first to be overwritten.  Also the preset groupings dont make sense but that is a small small issue that is easily rectified. 

It sounds amazing. Easy to setup. Strwaming bluetooth from phone or computer works perfectly. 

I give this product an absolute recommended purchase seal of approval.

It will inspire you to play more since it is so easy to use. 

I qas readkng through the manuals last night. With the wireless accessories it really is a whole rig. 

Also the tonestation app has some cool automation features for gigging and playback. Could 100% be used as a full rig

20240410_145736.thumb.jpg.bd8281092fad7978d26b445407234310.jpg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Agree with all the above glowing reviews.

The best £120 I've ever spent on gear.

If you are a bit shy subjecting your neighbours/flatmates/loved ones to your late night noodlings/practice routines...blah blah.. this little bugger has everything you need and more. 

It is so easy to "download" backing tracks to the app, or put tracks from your library onto the app and practise along without anybody banging on the walls/your head/or threatening to break your fingers. I'd say that Boss have done a good job of keeping us musos out of harms way.

Until Friday night at the Frog and Duck.

• Like 3