Why become a member? ×

Ibanez Talman TMB105

SteveXFR

My daughter needs a 5 string for her new metal band and there's a TMB 105 for sale locally for £150. Are they actually any good? Not expecting amazing things but is it nice to play and does it make a decent noise?

Hi Steve, I don't have any experience with them as such, but I did pick one up in Guitar Guitar Birmingham the other week, and I was really surprised how sharp and badly finished the fret edges were, surprising for Ibanez!

If I were in your position, I think I'd be looking at something like a Yamaha TRBX305/RBX375, an Ibanez SR305, or something similar.

• Like 1

I had a four string for a while and it was great, could not fault it. Only sold it as had far too many other basses and it didn’t do anything unique for me. Would not hesitate to get another if I needed a cheap, reliable, well made bass.

I picked up a used TMB30 , the short scale version. It’s got inherent neck dive , and the neck is fairly chunky. I replaced the bridge pickup with a Tbird humbucking pickup. I bought it to mod , I liked the basic shape as it reminded me of Paul Barth’s designs from the later 50’s.

I replaced the pickup and then got distracted and put it aside. Recently picked it up again and this time found the chunky neck quite comfortable. It came with black tape wounds , I think I’m going to replace those with LaBella light flats. Might replace the pots , I’d prefer something with a more even taper , we’ll see …

Mine sounds pretty good , no issues with fretwork or any build issues. I’ve been enjoying the time I spend on it. Surprisingly nice bass at that price point. 

Edited by msb
  • Like 1