Why become a member? ×

Thinking about band merch...any tips please

It'll never be cost effective printing in such small runs. The unit price comes down as the quantity goes up, so it's best to go bigger if you can, rather than multiple small orders. 

I use Ozzi at https://www.ozmerchco.co.uk/ a lot for merch printing, tour laminates etc. They work almost exclusively with touring bands, so know the market and know the margins. Saw Pins & Knuckles get a mention above, they're great too. Also just had some really good quality merch from BSI on a recent tour. 

Good advice above about simplifying the design to keep the cost down, I'd echo that. 

The ability to take card payments is essential these days. I've generally used Zettle for shows in the UK, but SumUp and Square are popular too. They all run regular offers to get the cars reader for next to nothing for new sign ups, and (depending on your phone model) you can also take contactless payments in the app without needing the card reader at all.  The fees are relatively low (around 2-2.5% of each transaction) and the increase in sales you'll get from being able to take the card payments makes it absolutely worthwhile. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, BigRedX said:

This means reducing the design to a single solid colour - generally white to be printed onto a black T-shirt. Depending on how the original design has been produced it may be possible to go back to the original artist and get them to do a new version that meets the requirements for single-colour screen printing. They will also need to simplify some of the fine line detail as that won't reproduce well.

I am glad someone with the proper background piped up. I was just shaking my head at the image going "steady on tiger, what's with the fine art on a shirt going to cost".

• Like 1

On 10/03/2024 at 14:53, BigRedX said:

It's a sad state of affairs when a band's audience is prepared to pay £10 for a T-shirt which will probably have at least a 100% mark up, but won't pay the same for an album on CD which is barely breaking even on pressing costs only.

But unfortunately, that's the state we find ourselves in.