Why become a member? ×

New Charvel Pro-Mod San Dimas colour & tonewood options

BillyBass

I've only just seen this:

https://www.charvel.com/gear/bass

There are 4 new basses: a sonic blue and a satin black in the usual Alder and a 'satin Ferrari red' and natural in Mahogany.

I really doubt I could tell the difference in tone between an Alder and a Mahogany bodied bass but I really like the look of the natural mahogany finish bass, it's a bit like those Joe Dart MusicMan basses.

I doubt if I'll buy one as I already have two Charvel 4s and a fiver.  But if anyone else wants to, GAK have them on order:

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/charvel-pro-mod-san-dimas-bass-pj-iv-natural-mahogany/971991

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TRBboy said:

Shame there's not as much choice of colours in the 5 string version..... Love the blue and satin black! 😍👌

I'm guessing the next move will be to add a few more colours to the range of fivers.  

The satin black should have had gold hardware but I think the cream pick ups really go well with the black.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BassApprentice said:

Hmmm, the natural and the black look great with the cream covers. Only thing I've heard is that preamp on these isn't the best, but again that's a bit personal preference isn't it.

Might try one if a local shop gets one.

No, the pre amp is where they saved money.  I swapped out the pre amps in all three of mine, though they sound just fine passive too.

3 hours ago, Brian18242 said:

Thing is, the bello model with EMGs and preamp came in at the same price as the standard version. Wish they switched them all to EMGs with a more straight forward preamp.

Yes, currently, it seems there are some good deals on the Frank Bello model.  The American RRP is US$250-300 dearer than their non signature basses, according to the website.  

I have never played the Frank Bello bass, so I can't compare the Frank Bello EMGs to the DiMarzios in the standard models.  I just don't like the look of the Frank Bello signature bass, so haven't looked into it.

The DiMarzios that the standard models come with are quite hot, which is something to bear in mind when matching them with other pre amps.