Why become a member? ×

Atelier Z DAL-5 in Pearl Blue - Super Jazz bass for normal jazz bass money! PENDING - *SOLD*
£1000
Lowestoft

carlsim

Putting up for sale my Atelier Z DAL-5 Super Duper Jazz Bass in Pearl Blue. I got this from @Happypants a while back and love it so much that I have bought another in a natural finish. I just can't afford to keep two and prefer the natural finish.

Originally born in 1997, it was originally black, body re-finished by David Wilson in Hexam, commissioned when @bubinga5 owned it. This is the original thread about the refinish:

https://www.basschat.co.uk/topic/465355-atelier-z-body-assembled/

One of the early golden era AZ basses made by Mas Hino who made the early Sadowsky Metro series basses when he left Atelier. The neck is all original with original Gotoh tuners. 9.4lbs on bathroom scales

Generally excellent condition. There's a couple of very, very minor marks and swirls but no dings or missing finish. Some minor oxidisation of hardware but the neck is amazing and the gloss finish feels great. When I got it, i wasn't keen on the bare look and look the Atelier Z look with the clear perspex scratch plate so I commissioned someone I know with a laser cutter to make me one as a template from the original one I got from Andrew (Bubinga5). When fitted, there was a an issue with a stuck screw so the guy who did it had to remove it by making a slightly bigger hole. A smidge of wood filler and touch up and you can't barely see it. It behind the scratch plate and behind the screw so pretty much invisible.

Anyway, I think this really sets it off - looks like a jazz but plays like a super duper jazz! These easily equate to much more expensive custom stuff and I dread to think what this would cost you new now.

Specs are:

Maple Neck and Fingerboard

Chambered Alder body with Ash top

Neck: 34", Maple,  21 Frets

Tuners: Gotoh GB-30

Bridge: Gotoh 205B-5/18P

Pickups: Atelier Z JBZ-5

Preamp: Nordstrand 2B-4B (2 Band Preamps - Nordstrand Audio) 

Controls: Vol, Pickup Blend, Bass Boost/Cut, Treble Boost/Cut

Weight 4.3 kg

Nut Width: 47mm

String Spacing at the Bridge: 18mm

It balances well, sounds amazing and is a great bass. If you pay the asking price I will include the gator ProGo gig bag with the bass - this is pretty much new and about £150 a pop!

I can and happy to post - should be about the £30 mark. I kinda need a quick sale as have pulled the trigger on a new one and need to recoup! Can possibly drive to meet someway if that helps.

Get in touch with questions.

Carl.

IMG_0978.jpg

IMG_0979.jpg

IMG_0980.jpg

IMG_0981.jpg

IMG_0982.jpg

IMG_0983.jpg

IMG_0984.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

IMG_0987.jpg

IMG_0988.jpg

IMG_0989.jpg

Edited by carlsim
  • Like 10

2 minutes ago, binky_bass said:

Nice colour on that!

Thanks! It does look great and it pains me to let it go... but this is on it's way to me:

I'm a sucker for a natural finish! 

atelier.thumb.png.04a53d91db12da676f50953dd2bc14c2.png

• Like 4

Looks wicked with the clear plate Carl.  This is a killer 70s jazz and sounds like one. The Nordy preamp is fantastic. Up there with any high end Jazz 5 ive ever played. The neck for me is quite Lakland, nice and flat. Around £2500/3000 to have one like this built now, and Mas Hino wouldnt be building it..  GLWTS Carl.

Edited by bubinga5
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, bubinga5 said:

Looks wicked with the clear plate Carl.  This is a killer 70s jazz and sounds like one. The Nordy preamp is fantastic. Up there with any high end Jazz 5 ive ever played. The neck for me is quite Lakland, nice and flat. Around £2500/3000 to have one like this built now, and Mas Hino wouldnt be building it..  GLWTS Carl.

Thanks mate - it's a shame to let it go but I'm firmly sold on the Atelier Z brand!

@lee650 I would assume so - although I know is that it plays amazingly!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, carlsim said:

Thanks mate - it's a shame to let it go but I'm firmly sold on the Atelier Z brand!

Well, join the club Carl. Super sounding Jazz, '70s pickup spacing. I used to have a Jino 4 with abalone inlays and still have a M245. Atelier Z are waaay underrated in my humble opinion, unbeatable quality / price ratio. GLWTS

And BTW David Wilson applied a vintage varnish to a maple neck I had years ago, an absolutely stellar job.

Edited by Apothem

• carlsim changed the title to Atelier Z DAL-5 in Pearl Blue - Super Jazz bass for normal jazz bass money! PENDING

That wouldn't stay long, shame I've (allegedly) a buyer for my Spector next week and I've have had this.

Congratulations to the buyer 😊

Edited by lee650
  • Like 2

• carlsim changed the title to Atelier Z DAL-5 in Pearl Blue - sold