Why become a member? ×

Short-scale strings 45-105

Hi all,

Has anybody tried multiple sets of 45-105 rounds for short scale?

I had cut some D'Addario nickels long scale 45-105 to fit my short scale bass. I really loved the sound but they were giving me issues so I decided to buy proper short scale strings. I have replaced them with Newtone shorties 44-100. While I totally get what they are trying to achieve with these strings, that's not what I am looking for and I miss the big short-scale thump I was getting with the D'Addarios

I see there are not a lot of options available for 45-150. Just Dunlop performance+, EB slinkies, and then I could just get some standard Newtone (I was thinking platinum nickel or diamond nickel).

Who knows these and would reccommend for a thumpy (but still more growly than flats') sound, and hopefully some durability?

Thanks

Edited by Paolo85

I do not have short scale basses, but what is this question of cutting strings? I cut strings every time I attach them to any of my basses (33.8" - 36"). I only use D'Addario or GHS SSRW.

14 minutes ago, itu said:

I do not have short scale basses, but what is this question of cutting strings? I cut strings every time I attach them to any of my basses (33.8" - 36"). I only use D'Addario or GHS SSRW.

I think it is a matter of how much you need to shorten the strings ... my experience has been when cutting longer stings to a (sub) short scale is that they tend to unwind/unravel ... I suspect is is if one needs to cut them shorter then the 'silk' winder portion.

Sam x

9 hours ago, itu said:

For 30" scale I had to cut the E all the way to the thick part. I was getting a rattle which incredibly seemed to come from the string itself. I am not 100% sure but I did some reading and it seems it is a possibility when strings are cut too short. The rattle is gone with the new strings

• 2 weeks later...
38 minutes ago, naxos10 said:

Any reason you went for the 44-100 Newtone Shorties rather than the 46-105 gauge if you liked cut down standard scale 45-105?

Well, they advertised their strings as being unusual, with thick core and high tension. I wasn't sure what to make of it tbh. Also, I didn't know gauge would be so important for me (I use 40-100 on long scale).

In fact, maybe gauge is not that important. It just becomes an issue with the Newtone, which they describe as "bright and punchy" - and they are, I would say very high-mid focused the nickels, but quite at the expense of thump.

Still, this time I am not up for experimenting.

• Like 1

DR High Beams or Jim Dunlop Nickels might work - both available in short 45-105.  If you're feeling flush, you could try TI Rounds - fairly light and very compliant but sound more like flats than rounds to me.  I've just removed a set as they weren't sufficiently bright for my needs.  

I can appreciate the view on Newtone - I use very light SS hexagonal core shorts (30-90) and they're very bright, though that's what I was looking for 

• Like 1

On my Atelier Z Baby Z-4J I used DR Sunbeams 045-105 and like them a lot. They're not overly bright, but still have a nice ring to them. I replaced them with GHS Boomers last week because I couldn't find a new set, but can't really comment in those yet as I've mostly been playing my recently acquired Sandberg Lionel and the GHS strings still very much have their new string brightness and clang. 

• Like 1

On 02/03/2024 at 09:17, Paolo85 said:

Hi all,

Has anybody tried multiple sets of 45-105 rounds for short scale?

I had cut some D'Addario nickels long scale 45-105 to fit my short scale bass. I really loved the sound but they were giving me issues so I decided to buy proper short scale strings. I have replaced them with Newtone shorties 44-100. While I totally get what they are trying to achieve with these strings, that's not what I am looking for and I miss the big short-scale thump I was getting with the D'Addarios

I see there are not a lot of options available for 45-150. Just Dunlop performance+, EB slinkies, and then I could just get some standard Newtone (I was thinking platinum nickel or diamond nickel).

Who knows these and would reccommend for a thumpy (but still more growly than flats') sound, and hopefully some durability?

Thanks

Not sure where you're based but you can get short scale D'Addario Nickels here: https://www.stringsdirect.co.uk/collections/bass-guitar-string-sets/products/daddario-exl170s-nickel-wound-45-100-bass-guitar-strings-short-scale?_pos=4&_fid=8a1319f85&_ss=c

Finding the right strings can take a lot of time, experimentation and money, but it is worth figuring out what gauge, construction and material you like. Strings Direct is probably has the most options, though bass Direct has a decent selection.

Personally, my favourite strings are (currently) Dunlop steel flats (haven't tried their rounds yet).

Edited by bassist_lewis
  • Like 1

On a shorty bass with full sized tuners you can use any strings you like. Long scale ones will be fine.

If the tuners have small posts then short scale strings are needed as the fat bit of the string won't go round the tiny post well - and flats will just snap while installing them.

I find it easier to get strings for my 2 shorties with full sized tuners than I do for my medium scales with small tuners.