Why become a member? ×

Frequency splitting ...

SamIAm

I'm toying with trying a physical pedalboard after a few years of multi-fx.  One of the things I like to do is split the paths so that low frequencies bypass octave/fuzz/chorus, the higher frequencies go through them.

How would one achieve this with a physical board?

Sam x

2 hours ago, SamIAm said:

I'm toying with trying a physical pedalboard after a few years of multi-fx.  One of the things I like to do is split the paths so that low frequencies bypass octave/fuzz/chorus, the higher frequencies go through them.

Sam x

You know the things that are super simple on a digital pedal but not in analogue world….

something like this would get close

https://www.broughtonaudio.com/product-page/filter-fx-loop 

(I should trace the crossover bit of the miniXO I’ve got and make it like a effects loop…

• Like 1

It's one thing to split. Another altogether to recombine. There's a whole raft of stuff I wrote on this back when I was doing it, so it's all on the other side of the Atlantic centric forum.

Short version. Distortions and chorus among others return the signal out of phase with what went in. This is of no consequence when pedals are in series full range.

Different story when reblending an effected return with its original low end to send to the amp. At the crossover frequency they cancel one another out.

It's more complicated when you run multiple pedals and some return out of phase and some do not and sometimes you have more than one running at the same time.

Leaving aside the fact that some pedals are some other degree of delayed than 180°, two phase flippers in series returns an in phase signal.

I had a very complicated arrangement of a bigarse blender with phase control on multiple channels so that I could always have a full lush result.

Rolls sx21 crossover did the split.

• Like 2

On 17/02/2024 at 11:02, SamIAm said:

Sam x

Source Audio Ultrawave could probably do this using the multiband settings and routing via the two outputs. 

• Like 1

a simple signal splitter (LS2) then a LPF and a HPF in paralell. process the chain with the HPF then recombine with the Lows with another LS2. By the time you have done this however you may as well have bought a helix stomp. 

Carefull with phase however as has been mentioned. somwhere online there was a comprehensive list of pedals which invert phase. Ive only encountered 1 which was a solid gold FX pedal.

• Like 1