Why become a member? ×

NBD - Squier VM Jaguar SS

Paolo85

So I did it in the end, I have bough a short scale bass - here in the classfields.

Nice little bass for not a lot of money. The fretwork is very good, keeps a comfortably low action with "floppy" TI flats. Add that it has a 38mm nut width, neck not super skinny back to front but not chunky either. Overall it is very easy on the fretting hand.

I like the sound. Tubbier than my precision, and it came with flats. I tried it on Cissy Strut and it was spot on!

It is, however, a serious neck diver. I guess it's because of the short horn. I have put on hipshot licensed ultralight tuners, taken off another bass, and.. 260gr of car wheel balance weighs on the back :D

it still needs a leather strap to stay in place 🫣

...in the other hand, it still is a pretty lightweight bass.

I bought it because, after trying the electric guitar, I have realised it is really nice to play with as little effort as possible for the fretting hand (that was before I realised how much stretch is required for some chords..).

I would say the first impression was positive. Not sure this is a full conversion to short scale, I'll see.. 

20240216_155734.jpg

20240216_155702.jpg

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Pea Turgh said:

And with a 42mm nut!

Mmmmm,

Not sure, it's around 38mm on my Mike Kerr  (Barbie bass) limited edition and smack on 38mm on my recently acquired Squier  2015  Jaguar SS. The Squier now sports my favourite DiMarzio Split P Pup and DiMarzio Ultra J (neck) Pup in the bridge position. It's necessary to use the neck J Pup at the bridge because the combination of 38mm nut, 30ins scale means that the pole pieces do not align perfectly if you fit the J bridge Pup.

Rewired the controls to 3 x position switch and master volume and tone with a 0.5 mF capacitor rather than the DiMarzio recommended 0.33mF capacitor. A 3D Guyker bridge replaced the standard Squier bridge and helps provide perfect pole piece alignment and perfect balance, no neck on knee or strap. 

Happy days. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Sorry - I meant it would be nice if they had a wider nut option (to cope with my “daddy-long-legs” fingers).  Most short scales seem to be 38mm, which cramps my hands.

I see, that makes sense.  But due to age related arthritis in my left hand I have had to move to short scale basses exclusively. 38mm is just fine.

Still struggling with having to part with some of my trophy 34s that just don't get used anymore. 

I suppose it's probably best for me to move them on rather than leave it to children to do after my days. 

Edited by JohnDaBass
Grammar

Happy NBD.

I almost went for one of these in Red a few years back. It was cheap and in good condition- I opted for a MIM Mustang in the end, and really like it.

It's good to play a few different scale lengths IMO, as its good to be able to swap between different scale basses when you want, without having to think too much about it.

As you get older, lighter weight instruments become more attractive, and less stretching of the fretting hand becomes a more preferable option too.

Enjoy your new bass 😀 

• Like 2

I have a red one of these. It was my main gigging bass in my previous band I was in before I started acquiring JMJ Mustangs. It's a really comfy bass to play and currently has wilkinson tuners, Fender HiMass Bridge, and Fender Yosemite (American Performer) pickups. I should play it more really.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Sorry - I meant it would be nice if they had a wider nut option (to cope with my “daddy-long-legs” fingers).  Most short scales seem to be 38mm, which cramps my hands.

JMJ is your friend

22 hours ago, Pea Turgh said:

Have you considered this? I guess the look isn't for everybody, but it's 43mm nut width.

I would really like to try it. For this short scale I really wanted a small neck and the Jaguar was the perfect choice - for the price. But if I ever go down the rabbit hole of multiple instruments again, this HB is on the shortlist. I can see it with Labella tapewounds and a mute. Though I am afraid I won't manage to set intonation with that bridge, or that the neck might be one of those huge HB necks which make it impossible to balance the bass unless I bring total weigh to 8kg. 

EDIT: I meant this https://www.thomann.de/gb/harley_benton_hb_60_wb.htm

Edited by Paolo85
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I gigged the wheels off my Jag SS and it took a really battering. Had to replace a tuner, the bridge, pickups, and all sorts. Great little basses. 

I actually took mine on a session and the other bassist there liked it so much he ended up buying one to replace a vintage Musicmaster which he didn't want to risk gigging any more. I've gone back to 34 scale now but would definitely look at another one if I needed a shorty for a project. 

• Like 1