Why become a member? ×

NBD 1978 Yamaha BB1000

My local music shop have had this in for a few months and I finally had the time to pop in on Saturday and couldn't help myself. The previous owner bought it new and had it defretted (which is probably why it's been in its case for most of the time) - it has just been refretted. Other than a refinish, it's all original and is in great condition apart from a few dings. It's a high quality instrument with the original case, tools and manual! Not lightweight at ~4.5kg but it sounds great and like a more focussed P to my ears. It just needs setting up to my preferences and I need to make the difficult decision of flats or rounds...

3E4E6D0C-B147-408D-BC15-D3F53FAA6779.thumb.jpeg.4b0d142099a269700b5be3e04b33fc9d.jpegE82A7974-2C68-4B6D-B6B6-9F2877C54ABA.thumb.jpeg.33b87eec0f9a271774c7c2f4d884ac32.jpegC55A10E6-BEEC-417D-BC83-93FDFBF6519A.thumb.jpeg.1a3bc38053bb3bd517e0c2ebaa717536.jpeg8FC05516-D248-4D41-BD1D-E52CF1B91685.thumb.jpeg.a96541980b25422b06aaaa3210bb778e.jpeg

Edited by AndyTheBassBison
Edit
  • Like 19

Fabulous bass. I’ve had a few old BBs over the years, absolutely awesome one and all.

I’ve always been a flats guy on basses like this, but recently went back to rounds on my P basses, absolutely loving the punch. Doesn’t help you with your decision though soz.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rayman said:

Fabulous bass. I’ve had a few old BBs over the years, absolutely awesome one and all.

I’ve always been a flats guy on basses like this, but recently went back to rounds on my P basses, absolutely loving the punch. Doesn’t help you with your decision though soz.

Thanks! It had manky old rotosound rounds on when I got it and its currently wearing d'addario nickel rounds which are much nicer. I've already got two P basses with flats so I'm liking the variety (will still try it with flats before long though!)

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, pete.young said:

Great colour too. I'm struggling to see what the difference between this and my BB800 is, other than the fancy position markers. Is the fingerboard ebony?

Yes, I checked the manual and it's just the position markers and ebony fingerboard.

• 4 weeks later...

The honeymoon period is over and I'm still very happy. I've swapped strings with the BB1024 so the BB1000 now has La Bella low tension flats which suits it perfectly for my playing style and sound, and have put the D'Addario rounds on the BB1024 for my slap needs...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, AndyTheBassBison said:

The honeymoon period is over and I'm still very happy. I've swapped strings with the BB1024 so the BB1000 now has La Bella low tension flats which suits it perfectly for my playing style and sound, and have put the D'Addario rounds on the BB1024 for my slap needs...

Nice. No arguments then lol. 

You know the bass is a keeper when you put flats on them. That’s like the bass equivalent of marriage 🤣😂

Edited by soulstar89
  • Haha 2