Why become a member? ×

Tone

DTB

I’ve had a few months not playing bass (I have been playing guitar please don’t judge me). I have lost my tone. Nothing has changed. Same bass, same preamp etc. 

Can’t seem to capture that gnarly growl when diggin in, and my fingers hurt like hell!!!

My bass was in my studio stored in a gig bag and was perfectly in tune still so nothing has changed with that. 
Can it simply be lack of callouses on picking hand?

Perception of tone changes over time . The bass sounds the same as it ever did but you hear it differently . The sound of my bass changes enormously depending on the room or environment I am playing in . I have played gigs in the same place on multiple occasions with the same equipment and had to change EQ settings . Never had any complaints so don't overthink it and just get out and play . 👍

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, BigRedX said:

Time for new strings?

This is what I thought and a new set of 32-130s landed on the door step this morning. I had none in stock which is unusual for me. 🙄

I think your fingers do go soft at the tips and that does affect tone.

It's like riding a bike - if you want a super-lightweight bike, just ride your current bike a lot and somehow it gets lighter. If you want great bass tone, just play your bass a lot and it will start sounding better and better.

• Like 3

Annoying because after a few weeks of sorting, once I heard a bass tone I particularly liked, I had it nailed and my wife had to prise my bass out of my hands to get me back in the house. 

Karma!!!

It's a message from a higher being teaching you not to stray from the One Path!!

See the error of your ways!! Repent!!

Put down the skinny stringed aberration and again take up the one true Groove Machine. 

There is still time...you can be saved!! 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

Well, I suppose it could be that...but never underestimate the power of the unknown. 

I think your previous post was nearer the mark. 
But in all honesty what else could it be apart from strings or soft fingers? Everything else is just the same. 

Old battery was down to 8.7 volts so stuck a new one in and it’s better still. 
Fingers still hurt though and I’m sure the slinky Ernie Balls are not as slinky as the D’arwhatsits that came off. Not to my fingers anyway but I prefer Ernie Balls on my guitars and I have just ordered 10 sets of 32-130 so I hope my fingers get used to them. I am never gonna go so long again without playing my beloved basses. I raised my right hand when I typed that last sentence. 
okay i think I’ve talked this one to death, thanks for your input everyone. 

Nah it always hurts till the fingers harden up after a break. If i played any lighter I wouldn’t be touching the strings. I only dig in when I want a little bit of grit. I don’t generally do pedals. My guitar sound is straight into a 0.5 watt valve amp. Occasionally i use a delay or reverb but thats from the mic’d cab to my monitors. 
with the bass I have the Digbeth pre amp pedal straight into my mixer and into my Genelecs. I’m just starting to get my tone back and it is 90% in the fingers. I found a long time ago using the very tip of the finger when needed gives a lovely growl and it’s that bit that is sore. Be fine when the callouses form again.  But thanks for the advice. I will try to back off and be as light as possible.